• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope for Appleseed

Hi I want to put a scope on my 10/22 to do an Appleseed. What power is generally recommended?
Was Thinking:
1-4 Nikon Monarch
2-7 Sightron
3-9 ???

With the 22 Appleseeds are shot at 25 meters correct? Is 4x enough? Do I have to worry about parallax since most scopes are fixed at 100?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Ignore the Appleseed haters and just go with a good low power optic. Yes, most Appleseeds are shot at 25 meters. "Enough" magnification isn't the issue its being able to see the targets. Don't worry too much about sighting it in before an event.

Sighting in will be covered during part of the first day and you'll have plenty of help. If your rings aren't high enough or if you require a cheek rest we'll figure that out during event and get things worked out for you. If you're using a variable power 'scope you'll be asked to turn it down to the lowest setting.

Lower power = less shake.

Old Glory, first off, do you know that you NEED a scope? Iron sights actually have some advantages over scopes (lot more rifles have iron sights than scopes, they're more rugged, and you can use the front sight to estimate range, for example).

I scope some of my rifles because I have a hard time seeing small targets at over 200 yards - plain and simple my eyes aren't up to more than that. I'd recommend you try shooting with iron sights first, then scope it only if you need to. (and you would need to scope your center-fire rifle, too, as I don't think you'll be using the .22 at 200 yards or above!).

Oh, and if you find you MUST scope your rifle, I recommend the lowest power you can use - I have a 2.5-7 on my .22 and a 3-8 on my AR and I practice with them turned to the lowest setting when I'm practicing at 25 yards. At longer distances, I turn them up only as far as needed to make out the target. I make students at the shoots I run turn their scopes down to the lowest power, too.

Most Appleseed shoots have the first day done at 25 meters with reduced size targets - it's easier to change out targets when you're not having to walk 400 yards! However, on the second day they do shoot known distance out to 600 yards depending on what the host range has available.

Old Glory, first off, do you know that you NEED a scope? Iron sights actually have some advantages over scopes (lot more rifles have iron sights than scopes, they're more rugged, and you can use the front sight to estimate range, for example).

I scope some of my rifles because I have a hard time seeing small targets at over 200 yards - plain and simple my eyes aren't up to more than that. I'd recommend you try shooting with iron sights first, then scope it only if you need to. (and you would need to scope your center-fire rifle, too, as I don't think you'll be using the .22 at 200 yards or above!).

Oh, and if you find you MUST scope your rifle, I recommend the lowest power you can use - I have a 2.5-7 on my .22 and a 3-8 on my AR and I practice with them turned to the lowest setting when I'm practicing at 25 yards. At longer distances, I turn them up only as far as needed to make out the target. I make students at the shoots I run turn their scopes down to the lowest power, too.

Most Appleseed shoots have the first day done at 25 meters with reduced size targets - it's easier to change out targets when you're not having to walk 400 yards! However, on the second day they do shoot known distance out to 600 yards depending on what the host range has available.

Hi dwarven - I want to learn the basics. I have been trying to do it on my own but have not had much luck with iron sights. I was not in the military so I have no training at all. I go to the range and have no clue. I shoot ARs out to 100yds using a scope: 1.8-10 and get groups that are ok. I shoot my 22 at 25 and 50 yds and get groups that are very good for me: 1.5 inches. I do not know how to properly use my scope. I mounted it and then "zeroed" it at 25, 50, then 100 for the AR walking it out; and 25 then 50 for the 22. Not sure if I did it correctly but the 22 seems to be ok. Still very inconsistent with the AR.

My Goals are:
Fundamentals of Marksmanship - reading the Appleseed thread it seemed ok to use a scope since fundamentals are the same
Learn how to use a scope correctly
Become proficient at shooting
Explore long range shooting
Possible competition at local clubs

Thanks!

Well, if you already have scopes for your rifles, then you certainly don't need to replace them! [laugh]

Just grab those rifles and come on out to Harvard Sportsman's Club in two weeks - Here's the link to register: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/640672268

Women, young men under 21, active duty military, LEOs, elected officials and (at least until the end of the year) veterans shoot FREE.

I attended my first Appleseed today and can't say enough of how wonderful everyone was. The instructors did a great job of patiently working with all those who needed help sighting in. In my case, my rifle could not sight in as set up and I ended up needing to use a loaner (that had a scope (Thanks dwarven1). I thought that I wouldn't be able to see the target without a scope, but it turned out much better than expected. Just go to an Appleseed and you'll get all the training you need.

Back
Top Bottom