Scope for 10-22

Looking for suggestions on a scope for my 10/22. Should be magnified, likely used for shooting at 50-100 yards and small game hunting (after I find a safety course nearby - dammit!)

Hoping to keep the price reasonable, under about $100, don’t want to invest much more in my $200 rifle.

I've got one of these on my 15-22 and like it.

UTG 3-9X32 1" BugBuster Scope, AO, RGB Mil-dot, QD Rings Amazon product ASIN B005UGIMNQView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UGIMNQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_gnSgAbNSGD1SM

As far as the safety course. You can take the Texas online course to meet the MA safety course requirements. Texas has a 100% online course that should only take you 5-6 hours and only costs like 25-35 bucks.
Take the course online and read the MA abstracts throughly, and you'll be hunting by this weekend.

Looking for suggestions on a scope for my 10/22. Should be magnified, likely used for shooting at 50-100 yards and small game hunting (after I find a safety course nearby - dammit!)

Hoping to keep the price reasonable, under about $100, don’t want to invest much more in my $200 rifle.

What are you getting for accuracy?
Are you planning to take hunting shots at 50-100 yards?
What are you hunting....check the abstracts there are some pest that can be taken at will.
For inexpensive scopes try walmart. You can return them if not happy.
I have the UTG bug buster on my "hunting" pellet gun. Its not bad. I dont play with the turrets once its zeroed and learned my hold overs with the "mill dots"
I grew up on 4x scopes and seem to like them best for hunting and plinking.

Last edited:
I have really come to like the Hawke scopes for pellet guns and 22s. They have a very nice program that works great with thier scopes and you can print up lens cap cheat sheats for your specific balistics.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...e-3-9x-40mm-illuminated-rimfire-reticle-matte
I have the bug buster on my hunting pellet gun. Its ok but for not much more there are better.

Just to add i grew up on "hunting" zero. Basically point blank range. We would zero our 22s to 12-15 yards. This gives you minute of squirrel out to about 70 yards with out holding over/under. Thats of course if you can hold that well.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_j98d4ssI

Last edited:
What are you getting for accuracy?
Are you planning to take hunting shots at 50-100 yards?
What are you hunting....check the abstracts there are some pest that can be taken at will.
For inexpensive scopes try walmart. You can return them if not happy.
I have the UTG bug buster on my "hunting" pellet gun. Its not bad. I dont play with the turrets once its zeroed and learned my hold overs with the "mill dots"
I grew up on 4x scopes and seem to like them best for hunting and plinking.
At 50-100 yards I’m plinking only. Hunting I imagine would be a lot closer, but I’ve never hunted before so who knows. Will be taking squirrel and rabbit with this rifle/scope combo.

My accuracy isn’t great, but at 50 yards, where I shoot my 10/22 mostly and with stock irons I’m basically all in the black.

At 50-100 yards I’m plinking only. Hunting I imagine would be a lot closer, but I’ve never hunted before so who knows. Will be taking squirrel and rabbit with this rifle/scope combo.

My accuracy isn’t great, but at 50 yards, where I shoot my 10/22 mostly and with stock irons I’m basically all in the black.
How big is the "black"
For hunting like i said i prefer the 4x scopes with fairly large objective to let lots of light in. Let us know how you make out and a range report.

Nikon prostaff rimfire
i use these also. have a prostaff II 3-9 on a 10/22 w/16" bbl and a 4-12 on one with a 18" bbl. they work fine. tried a few others and returned them before i settled on the nikons. they both have bdc reticles on the ones i have but they make them also with just the traditional crosshairs also.

I bought the Cabelas .22 Rimfire 3-9x40 for my wifes 10/22 and she loves it. The glass is actually pretty clear. I would buy better but this was 50.00 a few months ago so I had to buy it.

Attachments

• 22688391_878123525698360_460427262986971381_n.jpg
    22688391_878123525698360_460427262986971381_n.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 24
+1
Bought my Simmons 22 mag for under $30. Its holds zero, has great glass for its price range, haven't had any fogging issues in all kinds of weather, and for $30 or less if you don't like it your not out lot of cash. I'd be surprised if you didn't like it though.

I've taken mine out to 200 yards(50yard zero) and was able to consistently hit a 12 inch steel plate from bench. It doesn't have hold overs, but once you get the Kentucky windage right, you can keep hitting all day long.

Check out the Sweet22 for about $50. It's short so make sure the "clamp-able" area cooperates with the ring spacing on your rifle. The ring mounts on my Savage MKII were too far apart and I ended up spending another $50 for an EGW rail.

Also, check out the Mueller APV 4.5 - 14 AO for about $110 and the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire for about $120. The rimfirecentral.com forum has plenty of great threads about .22 scopes

the absolute most fantastic rimfire scope i have ever found is the Leupold 4x28. for $200 it is worth every penny and more. it is lightweight and the glass is simply phenomenal. the 4x mag is just the right amount for a rimfire.

Amazon product ASIN B0009JG78QView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JG78Q/ref=twister_B003NZ9QKO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

despite your preference to keep the cost under $100 but for a little more one is getting a far better product that makes the rifle more enjoyable.
I was looking at these myself. Im looking for a simple scope for my remington 522.
I like the smaller scopes on the older plinkers. Love my 552.
Theres tons of scopes out there. Finding your end use and expectations are the fun part.
Where most cheap scopes fail is in the turrets and how well they track.

I have a BSA Sweet 22 6-18x on my 10/22. It's a lot of scope, but I'm planning on taking it squirrel hunting after deer season, and I really like the higher magnification for range days. The three turrets thing is gimmicky, but it's a solid value scope.

First ....Nikon prostaff

Second.....Texas offers the hunter Ed course all online. Takes a few evenings but you can be hunting in a matter of days.

Regulations state any course taken in any state, Mexico, or Canada counts. Once you complete the Texas course.....go on mass fish and game and buy your license online......you'll be asked to check a box that you swear you have completed a hunter Ed course......pay....print.....go hunting.

Bear in mind.....small game season is closed for the next 2 weeks during shotgun deer.

https://www.hunter-ed.com/texas/?campaignid=12002299&adgroupid=15492972259&keyword=online hunter safety course&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-v_VyMXd1wIVFLXACh1ofAYtEAAYASAAEgKpcPD_BwE

Last edited:

My suggestion is if your going to hunt rabbit and squirrel get a shotgun. In zones 10 - 14 you can't use a rifle on squirrel anyway......shotgun only. And rabbits......fhey are f***ing FAST! . You'll be more successful with a shotgun anyway. I hunt squirrel......alot.......and the shotgun is my go to gun. 12 gauge size 4 high brass full choke. Will reach the top.of any tree in new england......if shots are in closer than 20 yards just lead off and hit em with the fringe.

Last edited:
Check out Primary Arms website. They have a few options around your price range and the Nikon is on sale for $116. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of Primary Arms scopes. I have been happy with all of their products.

I've got at least one of each mentioned here. Near/ under the $100 range, the Nikon will have the best glass. The BSA and UTG near tied. All are very usable (and popular for the purpose you describe.
I like the bug busters best for general plinking /hunting accuracy as there compact size doesn't overpower most rimfire rifles. Whatever you go with something in the 3-9 power range with a 32 -40 mm objective should fill the bill. Be sure to get either a rimfire/air rifle scope or (otherwise) with an adjustable objective to assure it will focus accurately at less than 25 yds. You only need to go to a larger power scope if you are trying to hit tiny targets at 75 yds and beyond.

I've got at least one of each mentioned here. Near/ under the $100 range, the Nikon will have the best glass. The BSA and UTG near tied. All are very usable (and popular for the purpose you describe.
I like the bug busters best for general plinking /hunting accuracy as there compact size doesn't overpower most rimfire rifles. Whatever you go with something in the 3-9 power range with a 32 -40 mm objective should fill the bill. Be sure to get either a rimfire/air rifle scope or (otherwise) with an adjustable objective to assure it will focus accurately at less than 25 yds. You only need to go to a larger power scope if you are trying to hit tiny targets at 75 yds and beyond.

Dont get to hung up on AO/parrelax for hunting/plinking. You wont have much time to dial in your parrelax while hunting.
Your not going to see any gains with AO scope until your looking to shoot one hole groups.
Just a tip if you go with AO scope get a side focus model. Reaching to the front of thd scope is a pita.

Back
Top Bottom