• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope and Mount Accessories Issue - Colt Sporter II/A2:

citoriguy

NES Member
Hi all - hope everyone’s had a good weekend. I was recently gifted a Nikon P-223 3-9x40 1” scope. I have the carry handles on my A2 and like it and don’t want to get rid of it. I want to start getting involved in my club’s informal rifle competition this summer, so I was excited to receive the scope.

I purchased the following Mount, an ARMS #2:

A.R.M.S. #2 M16 A1/A2 Scope Mount

I need to put some mounts/rings on it and was looking at these:

Nikon 1-Piece P-TACTICAL AR Mount 1" Black Anodized 20 MOA | Natchez

I’ve read countless articles on Weaver v. Picatinny and understand that all Picatinny mounts will take Weaver rings, but not necessarily vice versa. The one-piece ring system above says it’s a Picatinny, whereas the mount says it’s a Weaver. However, the mount looks like the rows are spaced equally.

Will these two pieces work together? Are there Picatinny handle mounts for an A2?

Thanks in advance!

CG

In the off chance anyone needs this in the future, the ARMS products are proprietary and can only work with other ARMS products. As a result, the best rings for that mount are the ARMS #22 (22LLII) , but at the time of this posting are $130ish and are only for 30mm scopes, so you need their additional insert for another $30ish (ARMS37).

ARMS #22: ARMS #22 Quick Detatch 30mm Scope Rings

ARMS Insert: ARMS #37 30mm to 1 Inch Ring Inserts

Instead, I went with the Leupold Mount, (LU52136) as that is angled (even though the picture doesn’t look like it is), along with the Nikon 16561 mounts linked above. The Leupold is a Picatinny rail so I can always add Weaver mounts if my needs change.

Leupold rail: Leupold Mark 4 Base

I wish these sites would specifically state that ARMS products are proprietary and are only compatible with other ARMS items. That said, SWFA was great to work with.

How high is that scope now.?
Got any pics. I had a old school carry handle mount and a small scope for testing loads. On my fixed AR carry handle.
Was to high for practical shooting. Bench testing loads, not to bad.

How high is that scope now.?
Got any pics. I had a old school carry handle mount and a small scope for testing loads. On my fixed AR carry handle.
Was to high for practical shooting. Bench testing loads, not to bad.

That's because you need a riser on the stock for your cheek.

This kind of setup works really well, gets your eye at the right height:
wm_12429857.jpg

I haven’t actually installed anything yet, and probably won’t get to it until this weekend or the next. I’m expecting to need a riser of some sort, but hope to get away without one if possible. I’ll take pics though when everything is on.

Are there Picatinny handle mounts for an A2?

I've tried a couple of different handle mounts and this one is the best of the bunch IMO.

AR15 Leatherwood Scope Mount | Keepshooting

It fits snug and tightens up really well with the hardware that is formed to fit the underside of carry handle. And it gives you an extension to the handle so you can still carry it that way if you like, even with a scope on it.

I haven’t actually installed anything yet, and probably won’t get to it until this weekend or the next. I’m expecting to need a riser of some sort, but hope to get away without one if possible. I’ll take pics though when everything is on.

Trust me, you won't like it with a regular height stock. Its awkward

Thanks for the link, jpm - that mount is actually pretty awesome. I may just get it to compare and contrast with the Leupold. I’m in the market for a second AR, so it wouldn’t go to waste.

What do you use for a riser?

Last edited:
Just get another upper to change out onto your Colt... you won't have to mess with all the scope mounts ..... I have some pretty nice uppers that fall right on that Colt lower..

Just get another upper to change out onto your Colt... you won't have to mess with all the scope mounts ..... I have some pretty nice uppers that fall right on that Colt lower..

Thought about that too - will PM later today/tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom