• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Schumer to Bring AWB to Senate Floor

Everyone needs to call their Senate and House reps and remind them what happened last time they put AWB in place:

The 1994 United States elections were held on November 8, 1994. The elections occurred in the middle of Democratic President Bill Clinton's first term in office, and elected the members of 104th United States Congress. The elections have been described as the "Republican Revolution" because the Republican Party captured unified control of Congress for the first time since 1952. Republicans picked up eight seats in the Senate and won a net of 54 seats in the House of Representatives. Republicans also picked up a net of ten governorships and took control of many state legislative chambers.
True, but it had little to do with AWB

That was just the public forcing Clinton to moderate on his plans in a mid-year election. I'd argue it made his administration much more successful than he would have been otherwise.

Gingrich with his "contract with America" and one of the most explosive times in the US economy followed

Why do they even need a vote? Biden has a lot of power now compared to previous presidents. Biden can just LaY DoWN DA LAW and pull another one of his executive akshunz and then ban ban ban!

This is the senate. He needs cloture (which usually involves bags of cash)
Need the votes to end debate on any bill unless he can have senate suspend the rules...which is even more unlikely
Schumer, a Brooklyn Democrat, plans to ask Wednesday for unanimous consent — a procedure that allows for approval of a bill without a formal vote — to pass the ban, according to his office, a request that is very likely to be rejected by at least one Republican.

Translated: Not happening. Schumer needs to be able to ay he tried and add to his war chest
I didn't say it was going to happen.

Edit: Even if by some miracle he could get it passed, not getting by the house, so not making it to Biden's desk.
I never said it would.

Move along...nothing to see here
You missed my entire point and are explaining it to me like I am shitting my pants.

It's a no-win.
What he was trying to do, yes. I agree with you.

It appeases the mASSES.
So clever. Bet you are really proud.

My point stands.
Your opinion stands. I do not agree with it, so it is not absolute.

It's stupid when EITHER side does it, regardless of the procedure they use.
I find this incorrect. It is good to see where your representative stands when it goes to a vote.

You don't bother with floating a bill when you know the other house of Congress won't ever pass it.
I strongly disagree.

Our fair republic was far better off when Congress only was in DC for about 3 months of the year
I do not disagree with you.

And again, don't think that the Left is the ONLY people that do that. Do not be deluded.)
And again?

When did I state that only the left does this?

Do not be deluded?

That is a pretty big assumption on your part.

You would probably be better off debating ideas instead of demanding others take your points as gospel. You come off as a condescending ass.

Considering there are too many damn'no'craps in the House that are CLEARLY against him, it's pissing into the wind. Like putting up a national CCW bill.

I feel there is a benefit to getting politicians to put yay or nay next to their name.

True, but it had little to do with AWB

That was just the public forcing Clinton to moderate on his plans in a mid-year election. I'd argue it made his administration much more successful than he would have been otherwise.

Gingrich with his "contract with America" and one of the most explosive times in the US economy followed

It had everything to do with the AWB. AWB passed September 13, 1994 less than two months before the mid-terms. Even Bill Clinton admitted the midterm bloodbath was consequence of the AWB passing

It had everything to do with the AWB. AWB passed September 13, 1994 less than two months before the mid-terms. Even Bill Clinton admitted the midterm bloodbath was consequence of the AWB passing
...and ever since, they've been working hard to:

- make gun ownership as sexy as smoking; and

- install the Donkeytron Cheat-O-Matic, so even if voters vehemently disagreed with them, it simply wouldn't matter (until and unless said voters took to putting the Donks and RINOs to death in quantity).

and right on time:

AND

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Tuesday he plans to bring to the floor legislation to resurrect the nation’s assault weapons ban, which expired nearly 20 years ago.

Schumer’s push to pass the bill might charitably be described as a Hail Mary: Democrats hold a 51-to-49 advantage in the Senate, and far more modest gun safety efforts have run aground in the chamber and in the Republican-ruled House.

After the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012, the Senate skewered a bid for a new assault weapons ban, with 40 votes in favor and 60 against.

Schumer, a Brooklyn Democrat, plans to ask Wednesday for unanimous consent — a procedure that allows for approval of a bill without a formal vote — to pass the ban, according to his office, a request that is very likely to be rejected by at least one Republican.

But Schumer and President Biden have kept an assault weapons ban at the top of their gun control wish list.

And Schumer said the time was ripe to reintroduce the concept. The U.S. has logged more than 600 mass shootings this year, according to the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive. New York had more than a dozen, Schumer’s office said.

There are “more mass shootings this year than days of the year,” Schumer said bluntly. He acknowledged he is playing a long game on guns, but said bringing the ban back to the Senate floor would “bring attention to the issue.”

“The people who are against it don’t want it to be known that they’re against it,” Schumer told the Daily News.

The legislation would ban the sale and production of 205 variations of military-style assault weapons, but would not force legal owners who already have the guns to give them up, according to Schumer’s office.

A generation ago, Democrats passed legislation, written by Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California and signed into law by President Bill Clinton, that banned the manufacture of some assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

The ban lasted from 1994 to 2004.

“The assault weapons ban works and saves lives,” Schumer said Tuesday. “People want action, and they want the assault weapons ban again. The American people are tired of fearing for their lives.”
Piss on it, right on the floor of the senate. In a clear jar behind curtains then leave it on Chuckles desk.

"The U.S. has logged more than 600 mass shootings this year, according to the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive. New York had more than a dozen, Schumer’s office said."

“The assault weapons ban works and saves lives,” Schumer said Tuesday. “People want action, and they want the assault weapons ban again. The American people are tired of fearing for their lives.”

Does he not know that New York has an assault weapons ban?
Also... How many of those are from Chicago, which just passed like the 2800 shooting mark this year. ( With like a 0.2% rate of assault weapons used in the events. ).

I respectfully disagree. While it may have been forefront on the mind of some there are very few single-issue voters like that.
While you or I might find it unacceptable the average non firearm owner could care less.

Remember Clinton was looking for single-payer healthcare at that point and wanted to go harder left if given the chance and the voting public wasn't ready, in fact many of afraid of where he wanted to go.
I'm sure AWB was on the mind of a few, but I doubt the result of the election would have been significantly different had the AWB not passed.
He had just appointed Hillary in charge of shepherding a healthcare reform through and people were scared shit-less we were becoming Canada.

If it was so forefront in the mind of voters (and wildly unpopular) why didn't congress push to repeal immediately after the big sea change? They likely had the votes to override even a veto. That is why Clinton had to move to the center so quickly. He knew for at least the next two years he wasn't getting anything liberal done...and quite frankly even a dummy like me could see any politician saying "Wow, Congress just got up ended, I better change my tune if I have any hope of getting re-elected"

Bill Clinton admitted it had an effect on a handful of reps...but I'm sure Bill Clinton believes a lot of things...like oral isn't sex

Last edited:
What he was trying to do, yes. I agree with you.

So clever. Bet you are really proud.

Your opinion stands. I do not agree with it, so it is not absolute.

I find this incorrect. It is good to see where your representative stands when it goes to a vote.

I strongly disagree.

I do not disagree with you.

And again?

When did I state that only the left does this?

Do not be deluded?

That is a pretty big assumption on your part.

You would probably be better off debating ideas instead of demanding others take your points as gospel. You come off as a condescending ass.

I feel there is a benefit to getting politicians to put yay or nay next to their name.

So. . . . . you're in FAVOR of the Dems pulling more AWB law type votes?

You're under the assumption that a vast majority of voters are YOUR type of single-issue voter and that this is going to reveal some sort of big surprise the them. LOL.

I'm of the opinion that, the less time they spend in chambers the better. Period. End of story. Send em home. Give them 30 days each Fall, 30 each Winter, 30 each Spring and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom