School me on dual residency, please

Okay, so at the moment I am a Mass resident, but have a house in NH as well...If I wanted to be considered a so called "dual resident," what would I have to do? Any advice is welcome, and thanks in advance!

One thing that I don't think has been discussed is what proof of residency the ATF has told FFLs they can accept (in addition to, say, a driver's license which shows a different address). Here's an excerpt from ATF Rul. 2001-5:

Examples of documents that may be accepted to supplement information on a driver's license or other identification document include a vehicle registration, a recreation identification card, a fishing or hunting license, a voter identification card, or a tax bill. However, the document in question must be valid and must have been issued by a government agency.

However, not only is this rule wishy-washy in its wording, I doubt many FFLs actually know Rule 2001-5 anyway...

Last edited:
Oh, come one. Of course they do. It's in the green book we all get every 4-5 years, and the first thing we all do when it arrives is to read and memorize every word of it. It's not as if any of us had anything better to do with our time.
[rofl]

Seriously, if you're spending more than a couple of weeks there, and can find an FFL who's willing to deal with dual residency at all you shouldn't have any problems. Documents such as those mentioned above will help to assure the dealer that you're legit.

Ken

Last edited:
and the first thing we all do when it arrives is to read and memorize every word of it. It's not as if any of us had anything better to do with our time.[rofl]

[laugh] My wife rolls her eyes at me because I keep a copies of both the green and the yellow books in the pot. Them's good readin while I'm doin my business!

Back
Top Bottom