• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on binos

Looking for a good pair a binoculars for use out on hikes and at the range out to a hundred yards or so. I am pretty much set on the Leupold Bx-1 Mckenzie 12x50, with a good tripod to go with them at the range. Anyone have any experiences with these?
vortex are great for the money

Rather than start a new thread, any binocular aficionados? Front side not pictured says Japan and a serial number. Googling hasn’t produced much. They’re asanuma 10x30. Lighter for reference of size. Reading this thread I thought about binoculars way more in depth than I ever have, and learned a couple things. When I saw this pair headed for the trash I couldn’t let them go into the dumpster!

View attachment 779593
That's an interesting design. I too would have kept them out of the trash if they were even halfway decent.

I just picked up a pair of Steiner 8x30 Military Binocs and I LOVE them. Crystal clear viewing. I'm mostly watching birds in broad daylight, so 8x30 is plenty for me.

That's an interesting design. I too would have kept them out of the trash if they were even halfway decent.

I just picked up a pair of Steiner 8x30 Military Binocs and I LOVE them. Crystal clear viewing. I'm mostly watching birds in broad daylight, so 8x30 is plenty for me.
D0BC06FE-D4ED-481A-ACF6-8B7242A2A0FD.jpeg 89C569CD-331B-48A3-A9D1-7800B613619D.jpeg 2040E701-683C-4AB6-84A4-7A937D5ABD10.jpeg
They are very clear, I haven’t used any high end stuff personally so I also don’t have anything to compare against. The case they were in is nice and doesn’t look to have been opened or closed much at all. Nice set of binoculars. Been enjoying using them the past week or so. It is fixed magnification but has an adjustment from -2 to +2 that focuses it at further distances.

every time i find a great set of binos, they are well over $1000, and i have to put them back down.
it is a pretty universal rule of thumb for anything with lenses, really. a price segment for any no compromises optics is a $1k+.
anything under will have to have something to compromise on.

View attachment 779888View attachment 779887View attachment 779886
They are very clear, I haven’t used any high end stuff personally so I also don’t have anything to compare against. The case they were in is nice and doesn’t look to have been opened or closed much at all. Nice set of binoculars. Been enjoying using them the past week or so. It is fixed magnification but has an adjustment from -2 to +2 that focuses it at further distances.
That is a really interesting design! I don't know that it's mechanically much different than mine. The light changes direction twice to get from eyes to objective lenses. The angles in yours are sharper. Its neat that they operate like a miniature periscope instead of making your eyes "wider apart." I wonder what reason was behind those design choices?

Thanks for sharing more pics!

Back
Top Bottom