• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School Me on Binoculars

ToddDubya

NES Member
Like the title says, I need some edumacation on binoculars.

Yup, I've read the "how to select binoculars" page on a few vendor sites, opticsplanet.com, etc. I understand the jargon, but since most of it is subjective it's hard to know what's what. Historically, being book smart on stuff has not always translated to practical experience. That's where I'm hoping you guys can come in. What's good, what sucks?

Expected uses:
  1. Seeing .22 or .308 sized holes at 100 yds. 200 yds would be nice, but I'm usually using a scope at that range and can see just fine.
  2. Looking at beautiful shit in nature.
  3. Bringing on hikes and using for 2.
  4. Bringing camping and using for 2.
  5. Bringing kayaking and using for 2.
  6. While wearing glasses. I have an astigmatism so use without glasses is not really an option.

Requirements:
  1. I've got a budget around $200, which I'd like to keep unless everything at that price is rubbish.
  2. Lighter is better. I've hiked with an SLR/big lens and it sucks.

Last edited:
Get the best that you can afford.

You want the brightest and clearest optics. That is first and foremost. Then power and size.

Avoid zoom as that will degrade the above...

That said, Nikon delivers a good bang for the buck.

Get the best that you can afford.

You want the brightest and clearest optics. That is first and foremost. Then power and size.

Avoid zoom as that will degrade the above...

That said, Nikon delivers a good bang for the buck.

Thanks for the suggestion on order of preference.

I've been eying the Nikons. Of course they have so many models it's a pain to really compare. I definitely don't want zoom. That adds bulk and complexity that I don't need/want.

It follows the same standard as a rifle scope, though on scopes you want magnification.

I do have a pair of Nikon ones, I forget which ones they are. But they are bulky 8 x 50's So that wont help you. My small ones are just cheap throw aways with zoom... But the image is not that great. Once I loose them or destroy them I'll upgrade.

Head down to Bass Pro or someplace and look through a few. Also the higher end ones should take bumps better.

I did some research on this a few months ago.

My goal was similar to yours. Something portable, powerful (enough) and bright in lower-light. I'll use them for nature, sports events and the range.

You might be served best to just choose an awesome brand, then go to amazon for pricing and youtube for reviews. Avoid ridiculous features you won't need like a reticle, compass, laser rangefinder, bayonet mount, etc. Go right to the inside sales team for the USA offices for the brand - buying factory-direct will beat any distributor's price.

The names of high-quality optics that kept coming up in my searches were Steiner, Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica. Steiner is also a long-time US military contractor with an enthusiastic fan club for their M22 binoculars (mil-spec).

Initial recommendations were for used 7x50 M22s. These are sturdy, with sharp and bright optics (large objective lens and Porro prism). The down-side is they're large and weigh ~38 oz... I got a used set ($150) and can see the draw, but for me, they're way too beefy.

The 8x30 Military/Marine models are lighter, smaller versions of the 7x50 M22s, but a 30mm objective lens lets in a lot less light. The lighter weight of their roof-prism models made it worth sacrificing a bit of diameter and brightness from the Porro-prism models.

The factory sales rep in CO offered me a trade-in on my M22s plus a very generous discount on a set of 8x42 Predator Xtremes. Maybe you could get $100 off best amazon price even without a trade-in? Never hurts to ask. That would be $220 delivered.

So far, they meet my needs very well. I honestly can't tell the difference in brightness vs the M22s.

They are sharp, feel rugged and are light, portable, and bright. I love the objective lens covers, the extendable eye cups, the eyepiece cover and the side glare shields on the eye cups. They threw in a contoured strap and nylon case too. On the Predator model, there's a contrast-boosting filter that helps differentiate between reds and greens (pulls animal fur from bark/foliage). That may not be a necessary feature, but it was bundled with some nice extras not offered by their other 8x42s.

I can highly recommend the Steiner 8x30s. I've had an 8x30 for years (Firebird II, one of Steiners earlier game finding coatings on the 8x30 frame), and bought my brother a set of used military 8x30 a couple years ago. Not much heavier than the pocket style, and almost full size. It's the one I'd pick for carrying around my neck all day. The eye relief with the eye cups folded down is enough for use with glasses, and with my minor astigmatism I can also use them without glasses on. Once you set them for your eyesight, no focusing needed.

I did get to use the 8x42s for a week - really nice glass, liked the Predator lens coatings. My only objection was the weight was more than I wanted hanging on my neck. If that isn't an issue for you, I'd get the 8x42 version.

Check SWFA Optics Sample List. They sometimes get demo and returned Steiners on there - that's where I found my brothers Military/Marine 8x30s.

After a huge amount of research I opted for the bushnell trophy binoculars. Could not be happier.

I have used the steiner 8x30s and they are just ok in my opinion. Recently I was in the market for another pair of binos. Something small/compact/lightweight. I narrowed my choice to either a pair from Leica (at $400 ish) or an Olympus ( they were at REI for $50). After going to REI and comparing the sharpness and light gathering compared to about 6 other similar size pairs (including nikon,)I went for the olympus. I like them so much, I bought a second pair. Now they are not as great as the Leica as the Leica are water proof etc, but they are great for most non extereme uses and my second pair was only $25 on Ebay.

Dave

Last edited:
Start out with a cheap pair. If you find that you actually carry and use them as described above in your OP, donate them to a local boy scout troop or high school science department and buy a high quality set. I echo the recommendation of Steiner. Stick with 8x, 10x is difficult to keep steady. The extra weight of a higher objective lens (42x, 50x) can be balanced out with a good (not what comes with the bins) harness type neck strap. Again, once you find that you are actually using them, go out and buy the best you can afford.

Chris

In order to offer suggestions for the best binoculars. we really need to know how far away the neighbors window, that you will be looking through, is. [grin]

While I love the concept of binoculars, I find that they have had limited use. You will have a hard time spotting bullet holes at 100 yards and you probably have a scope on your rifle that is more. Powerful than the binoculars so you don't need them for that. I don't have any hot neighbors so that is out. Seeing beautiful stuff in nature requires patience and a reasonable expectation that it is there to be seen... that said, I recommend that you go to a store that sells a wide range of binoculars (Bass Pro, Cabelas) and start with the most expensive that they sell. Once you know what the best image looks like, find which binocular in your price range comes closest to it. I am not sure that 8 x 30 would be very good in low light. Exit pupil <4 mm, your eye up to 7 mm. Low light = large objective and high weight/ cost. Another thing to check is the close focus distance. It can be annoying to find that the little bird 15 feet away is too close to view. I bought a 7 x 50 Nikon in this price range years ago (probably costs more today or made in China) that I am happy with. They never look dim when used in low light (which is in my mind really annoying). One thing that is cool that binoculars can do is looking through close by leaves and trees to focus on more distant things. Never been there, but when I read about someone in Alaska, glassing the hillside for brown bears, I know what binoculars should be used for.
White Feather

Back
Top Bottom