Scent Control

Ok gentlemen, what are you doing for scent control? There's lots of opinions from all generations on this. What are your thoughts?

Old Spice, and it wouldnt hurt to take a shower now and then. [grin]

Sorry I needed to get my wise ass moment of the day in.

The last deer I shot was with in 50 yards and I was smoking a cigar. I have been told by others that some smells like that don't scare them away but draw them into to see what it was. For people that want to keep deer out of their yards away from bushes its been said that they really don't like the smell of Irish Spring soap and leaving some of that out keeps them away. I usually use that and will look for another soap when hunting this year.

don't crap too close to your tree stand. [wink]

I wash my clothes and myself in scent free detergent. I then throw my outer clothing in a bag of leaves about a week before....no other scent control

The best thing is to pay attention to wind.... I place all of my hunting clothes in a rubbermaid tub after washing them in scent free detergent. I spray down with scent killer before going into the woods. in my tree I use a cover scent waffer. I use scent lok clothing but was very sucessful without it using the above method.... Again, wind, wind, wind, keep some milk weed flyers with you and watch the wind on a regular basis.

I use a basic odorless detergent then always keep my hunting clothes separate from all of my other clothes. I keep mine in a garbage bag in a trunk, but I like the idea of the rubber maid bin I might go with that from now on. I might use a basic sent killer if I think I might have picked up an odd smell, but nothing will help more than hunting downwind whenever possible. Sent killers are great but there no need to go really overboard with them, lots of old timers have taken monster bucks with only the help of the wind.

Once a year I spray all my hunting clothes down with scotch guard then let them sit for a few days outside, I always spray them down a sent killer after that.

Odorless detergents, as well as shampoo and body wash, are good. My hunting boots don't get worn for any other purpose, and I don't allow the soles to touch anything other than the ground I am hunting on. They are kept in a heavy duty bag. I don't drive to the woods wearing my boots already. I also spray the soles and my lower pants legs with strong doses of scent killer before I head in to the forest.
Its easy to get crazy with all the stuff. Your technique-as in keeping absolutely quiet and staying upwind-are far more important.

This.

Little_Trees-logo-96483DC162-seeklogo.com.gif

Or this.

fundy+fresh.jpg

My hunting clothes are washed in scent free detergent and I add a half a box of baking soda to the rinse and store in a sealed rubber maid container. I shower in the morning with scent free soap and just before I go in the woods I spray scent killer liberally on my lower body and especially my ball cap. I don't use any cover scents.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom