Scenario feedback: Relocating firearms out of MA to ME--same owner

This seems like it could be pretty straightforward (or maybe what seems simple is convoluted), but thought I'd ask for input:

For an individual owning MA-registered firearms, what is required for that person to move them to ME to a second home, etc? Does it need to go thru formal FFL transfer to 'de-register' in from MA? It does not need to be formally 'registered' in ME but I'm mainly concerned about what ownership is shown in MA with expectation by LEO's that such firearms physically reside at the registered address?

I've read that 'de-registration' is not required in MA for a sale/transfer out of state but at the same time a person cannot have a 'lost firearm' in MA so it MUST be reported if 'lost'. Of course a 'relocation' is not a 'lost firearm' but it would seem like MA would want some level of traceability, no? Yet to have a firearm in ME does not *require* a FFL transfer either---ie, a MA resident can bring firearms to second homes, etc. without registration/transfer.

My question here comes from a scenario: Some type of firearm is banned (semi-auto shotgun let's say), and MA owners are required to turn them into law enforcement. At an earlier date from the ban, an individual would have physically relocated such a firearm to Maine (again, to a second home). I don't think that would be acceptable to a LEO either coming in a 'door-to-door' collection scenario or a 'bring to LEO' situation. So, how does one be proactive in moving firearms out of MA yet the individual still resides in MA, but firearms have simply physically been relocated? I'm hoping we do not go down the 'probability discussion' of this... I know, unlikely, etc...but I'd just like to focus on the facts/expectations if possible please.

Is there some de-registration process for such a scenario? I wouldn't imagine that by doing an FFL transfer to Maine (again, same individual so not required but is such documentation the only proof of transfer out of MA?) that there's an automatic 'de-registration' from MA either so it would seem an FFL Maine transfer would be a moot/wasted activity.

The acid-test of this would be: LEO arrives at MA-address where a firearm type has been 'recently banned' and was registered at the address in the MA database. At that point the LEO is informed that said firearm has been relocated to Maine. LEO calls BS and then who knows what happens.

Thanks for any/all comments on this scenario... as realistic or not as it is, I'd just like to hear about how an individual would do to dot the i's and cross the t's to prevent a perceived 'breaking of MA firearm law,' or be arrested for 'not turning in' a freshly banned type of firearm.

There is no deregistration of guns in MA. Just bring the guns out of state and store them wherever, done. If the ownership doesn't change, nothing happens. Doing FFL transfers, etc, is brainless and pointless, and serves no purpose, other than wasting money and getting dealers to look at you funny.

You're making a huge deal out of nothing.

-Mike

I'll give the long and complex answer to you question.

First, you take your MA firearms to your place in ME.

I hope I didn't confuse you will all the steps to this complex issue.[wink]

Thanks guys! I got the message. I appreciate it as I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some gotcha and I was dotting i's and crossing t's. They're going to live free up in Maine! Thank you all.

I'm not an expert, and this may be off the subject, but I think you're supposed to inform the Firearm Records Bureau, FRB, that you are moving, unless you never plan on coming back to MA.

It may come back to bite you if you ever decide to move back. See the last sentence on the GOAL page and attached form.

Good luck in Maine.

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/moving.html
http://www.goal.org/Documents/frb_change_address.pdf

Address Change
Q: I am changing my address. Who do I notify?
A: Under M.G.L. c. 140, §129B(10), and M.G.L. c. 140. § 131(I) , a holder of an FID Card or an LTC must notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued the Card or License, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the Card or License holder moves, and the Commissioner of the DCJIS. The notice must be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence.
top of the page

Yes, probably applicable for a move. However, staying in MA, keeping LTC in MA, just placing some firearms in Maine (could bring back/forth but I'd choose to leave 'em). Thanks.

it sounds like Mainerwanabe is talking about establishing a second residence. Maybe a weekend home or a summer home.

Like others have said, bring the guns to Maine and be done with it. If you do establish a residence in maine, don't forget that it is also perfectly legal to buy handguns that you can't get in MA while you are there (as a lawful resident of Maine) and then bring them back to MA. As long as they aren't AWs.

But as an example, if you have a weekend house in Maine, you can go buy a glock or a fancy 1911 that is not available in MA. Then when you come home to your other residence in MA, you simply FA10 it and it is now legally in MA.

Your scenario with LEOs going door to door to collect recently banned firearms is unlikely for a couple of reasons.
1) you don't have to let them in your house
2) you don't have to explain where any firearms went or interact with the police in any way.

And most importantly

3) If any firearms were banned and that resulted in a large scale confiscation. There would be revolution. Very simply, blood would run in the streets. It would be a catastrophe. Citizens would resist. People on both sides would die. LEOs would refuse orders. Not even the asshats up on Beacon Hill want that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom