SBR's

I think the OP wants to know

Gas System or Piston System?

I have a factory 10.5" LMT upper with a standard DI system. It runs like a top with quality ammo.

It runs perfectly when plinking with wolf, but if it gets hot, like when running it in a carbine course, it can get sticky with wolf.
An ammo change to brass cased stuff ends the problem.

I'm told LMT uses a gas port appropriate for 5.56x45 ammo, so its a bit under gassed when running cheap weak stuff.

It also works great with my .22 conversion kit and my friend's M16 lower.

Its a little loud and it throws a bit of a flame with the brake on it. :)

Don

e958ac96.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a complete 10.5 Daniel defense upper. It's my favorite rifle by far, I could not be more pleased with it.

SBRs are great, but the long wait for the stamp, and the fact we can't run cans here is MA sucks

I bought a complete 10.5 Daniel defense upper. It's my favorite rifle by far, I could not be more pleased with it.

SBRs are great, but the long wait for the stamp, and the fact we can't run cans here is MA sucks

How much of a pain in the ass was the tax stamp process in Mass? I'm considering building an AR platform SBR. I just dont want to deal with the bullshit that comes along with it. I wasn't sure if I should just wait. Ill be free state bound in a few years.

How much of a pain in the ass was the tax stamp process in Mass? I'm considering building an AR platform SBR. I just dont want to deal with the bullshit that comes along with it. I wasn't sure if I should just wait. Ill be free state bound in a few years.

Being in MA didn't have any impact for me. I used Quicken-loans and created a trust, so I did not have to deal with my CLEO. Wait was 7months+ :(

Being in MA didn't have any impact for me. I used Quicken-loans and created a trust, so I did not have to deal with my CLEO. Wait was 7months+ :(

A trust is the way to go no matter what.

If you think you will eventually own some valuable NFA stuff, I'd suggest getting a trust through someone like guntrustlawyer.com. If you are just
going to SBR a couple of AR lowers, you might want to go the quicken route.

I have a lawyer created trust and it is stupid simple to register an SBR. I fill out the form 1 and mail in the check. Done. No CLEO signoff, no prints, no photo.

The fact that we can't own silencers does kindof suck. I enjoyed shooting my SBR with a small light can. I own 4 suppressors and they are all outside of MA. Its too bad.

Oh yearh, thats one other thing that is great about a trust. If you add a person to the trust as a trustee, provided they aren't a PP and are licensed properly, they can posses any of the items in the trust.

Don

Last edited:
What's the question?

They are fun. They are loud. Do it!

I like 10 inch myself. Still reasonably accurate. I also like using a midlength rail over a low profile carbine length gas block and a rail mounted front sight. Nothing hot to touch (well, no hotter than the rail gets at an NES shoot):
Down or upside depending on your opinion is "FIREBALL!" with some ammo:
View attachment 56015

View attachment 56016

The question is what gas block and length of gas tube but it sounds like I might be better off buying a complete upper (although that takes some of the fun, heartache, of the build out of it).

Doing a little more research I see I can get a complete upper for relatively small money. I think I'll do that.

- - - Updated - - -

A trust is the way to go no matter what.

Don

First thing I did [smile]

The question is what gas block and length of gas tube but it sounds like I might be better off buying a complete upper (although that takes some of the fun, heartache, of the build out of it).

Doing a little more research I see I can get a complete upper for relatively small money. I think I'll do that.

I recommend going with a complete upper, no guessing about the gas tube etc and it's all ready to roll.

If you want more noise and concussion, go see Carlson Comps. MOAR Fireball.

Our SP-1 is a 10.5" barrel and we love it. [smile]

Now that you mention it, a flat top receiver would be more flexible.

Where do I get my SBR paperwork?

You can get the form 1 online.... hang on.....

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

There it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend going with a complete upper, no guessing about the gas tube etc and it's all ready to roll.

If you want more noise and concussion, go see Carlson Comps. MOAR Fireball.

Our SP-1 is a 10.5" barrel and we love it. [smile]

Yea I'm leaning that way now that I've gotten more into it. A complete upper is the way to go and there are some good ones out there!

For an 11" barrel, carbine length gas system/tube. As for gas block, just personal preference. I went with a FSB because i want to use it as a HD rifle and i did not want to mess with flipping up sights (especially if there is a chance to have no time to turn on my optics).

There really isn't any headache other than matching the appropriate buffer to what works for the barrel's gas port size and what ammo you use.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I went with a FSB because i want to use it as a HD rifle and i did not want to mess with flipping up sights (especially if there is a chance to have no time to turn on my optics).

FSB? Don't recognize the intitals. (will probably slap my forehead when you explain)

I have a factory 10.5" LMT upper with a standard DI system. It runs like a top with quality ammo.

It runs perfectly when plinking with wolf, but if it gets hot, like when running it in a carbine course, it can get sticky with wolf.
An ammo change to brass cased stuff ends the problem.

I'm told LMT uses a gas port appropriate for 5.56x45 ammo, so its a bit under gassed when running cheap weak stuff.

It also works great with my .22 conversion kit and my friend's M16 lower.

Its a little loud and it throws a bit of a flame with the brake on it. :)

Don

e958ac96.jpg

Running a SBR INSIDE for HD may save you're life but will make you deaf! Easy to fix though... Maine m16 - YouTube

I don't use it for home defense. This gun is strictly a toy. No delusions of grandeur. I'm much better going around corners with a handgun anyway. I know enough to know what I don't know. Make sense? I think most people don't know enough to know that a long gun is much harder to maneuver around inside a home.

Even still, if I did want to use it for HD. I'd have that covered. At least in CT. Which is where this suppressor is currently located:

DSC_2119.jpg

Or if you want to get really serious. Check this out. A Mosin Nagant pistol:

45630d1322784342-gun-tests-slams-mosin-nagant-comparison-test-obrez.jpg

Back
Top Bottom