SBRs, Pistols, and out of state travel.

The ATF requires notification when traveling out of state with a SBR. The ATF has also stated that if you mount a 16 inch barrel and leave the short upper at home you are aOK to cross state lines, without notification/permission.

How about turning the SBR into a pistol by removing the stock? Is that kosher in the same way putting a 16 inch upper is?

On that note, is a SBR in MA with its stock removed in illegal pistol (weight requirements etc)? Or can I go ahead and remove the stock in MA?

If it was first assembled as a rifle it can't be a pistol. So no you can't take the stock off to transport it across state lines. Since always a rifle taking the stock off in MA it is still a rifle and no pistol weight laws would be broken.

If it was first assembled as a rifle it can't be a pistol. So no you can't take the stock off to transport it across state lines. Since always a rifle taking the stock off in MA it is still a rifle and no pistol weight laws would be broken.

The lower did indeed start its life as a pistol for this very reason. My question is can a SBRd lower with a stock removed, aka a pistol, travel intrastate without the notification/permission requirement.

Last edited:
Tho I assembled it as a pistol before it became an SBR... When it became a SBR does that pistol status get overridden?

Back
Top Bottom