SBR in Mass?

This might be a silly question but is it possible to own a short barreled rifle in Massachusetts? If so, what are the chances of getting LE sign off for the paperwork? If anyone has any experience with this I would love some info and pointers....

ajw45 said:
This might be a silly question but is it possible to own a short barreled rifle in Massachusetts? If so, what are the chances of getting LE sign off for the paperwork? If anyone has any experience with this I would love some info and pointers....

Yes they are legal with the Form 1, If the LEO won't sign, you can start a corporation and the Form 1 will be in the name of the Corp. No fingerprints or pic or LEO signature

The process is easy, get 2 form 1 or Form 4 (if the SBR is already made), 2 sets of fingerprints, 2 sets of pics a citizen form and $200, send it off the the ATF and wait

sbrnew2.jpg

Last edited:
If the corporation dissolves you need to get rid of the weapon or transfer it to yourself through a form 4 as an individual, but that would require LEO approval, fingerprints etc.

You can also own a SBR through a living trust, the trust actually owns the weapons. Same approval process as a coporation

Turn around time varies, Trust and Corps are usually faster than individuals.

Timelines are running about 2-3 month individuals, only 2 weeks faster for corps.

These are recent 2006 timelines, The Atf has been approving Forms faster this year

I have a question, Do you have to find the weapon first, and then get the paperwork done, or can I get approval and then order a short barreled m4 from Bushmaster?

swatmedic said:
I have a question, Do you have to find the weapon first, and then get the paperwork done, or can I get approval and then order a short barreled m4 from Bushmaster?

YOu can do both,
If the SBR is already made, you purchase the weapon, have it sent to a local Class III dealer, you then submit a Form 4 to the ATF, when the paperwork clears, The dealer transfers the weapon to you, The may be an additional Tax stamp ($200) if it is from out of state...not sure

If you have an existing rifle that you want to SBR, then you Send a Form 1.
When the paper work is approved. you purchase a SBR upper if it is for a AR, or have the barrel cut. Do not buy the SBR upper until you have your tax stamp. You then have to engrave your name and address on the weapon, because you are the manufacturer of a NFA weapon

I purchased a stripped lower, sent in the paper work, when the Tax stamp came back, I purchased a SBR upper and completed the weapon

Last edited:
swatmedic said:
thanks supermoto, does the lower have to be preban/postban,noban or does the tax stamp trump all those silly regs

AWB still applies, mine is a post ban so no collaspable stock etc.

Best bet is to get a pre ban lower and register it as a SBR, then you can get all the cool stuff

Anyone have any experience in getting LE signoff? I'm wondering if I should even bother walking into the Cambridge PD.....

Supermoto said:
YOu can do both,
You then have to engrave your name and address on the weapon, because you are the manufacturer of a NFA weapon
If you use a trust or LLC, is that what needs to be inscribed on the receiver?

Back
Top Bottom