Say auf wiedersehen to Fahrvergnügen: REBORN

Car was officially totaled last week. Air bags are designed to go off based on deceleration or frontal impacts of <30 degrees. My impact was 40 degrees from trying to get out of the way. Case closed.

I missed a week of work with a concussion. My head as pretty well cleared up, but I'm still a little forgetful with light intermittent headaches. My left face and jaw still pain me from impacting the B pillar and window.

Farfegnugen was reborn last night as I moved sideways in the VW line up from my Passat with the delivery of my silver 2014 Jetta GLI Autobahn edition. I added an Ingen intake system on top of a 2.0L 210 HP turbo engine. You need a spare pair of underwear in this car!

T

I'm sorry about the crash. That is a sweet Jetta! I just bought a 2013 Jetta Tdi and I love it. There is something about 54 mpg that makes me smile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This will get 32; good enough, but not as good as a diesel. For some reason a diesel doesn't appeal to me yet. My next car may be a diesel or hybrid depending on what happens in the world 5-10 years from now.

T

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations T.

That's why I got the performance Jetta instead of another Passat. I can fit into a medium sized car comfortably now.

T

8aququja.jpg
I am lucky enough to still be able to drive this.

Fahren: means to drive
Vergnügen : means pleasure/fun

Fahrvergnügen : means driving pleasure. Germans are big into concatenation.

Sorry, your spelling of it was driving me a bit mad. Glad you are ok, btw.

Fahren: means to drive
Vergnügen : means pleasure/fun

Fahrvergnügen : means driving pleasure. Germans are big into concatenation.

Sorry, your spelling of it was driving me a bit mad. Glad you are ok, btw.

Sorry; I was phonetically spelling it. Didn't want to go look for my German dictionary.

T

I'm sorry about the crash. That is a sweet Jetta! I just bought a 2013 Jetta Tdi and I love it. There is something about 54 mpg that makes me smile.

My wife has a new Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The mileage is unbelievable. I am tossing the idea of going diesle when I buy my next truck. This is something I would not have considered before.

I agree with the observation noted by the OP regarding his accident: the pedals are too close together. In fact, the entire compartment is tight. So much that I rarely drive the car at all. Normally, she drives and I ride 'shotgun'. Sometimes I get looks from soccer moms like, 'I bet he lost his license'. LOL

I was told, I think, by VW that the pedals are close together because the Germans drive a manual transmission with the heel-to-toe technique.

Concatenation; yeah, big polysyllabic words like windschutzscheibegewischern = windshield wipers. I still remember that one from college nearly 30 years ago.

T

Last edited:
My (purchased new on with 17 miles) 2012 Passat TDI has 48800 miles. The EPA 30/40 mpg (dsg trans) is BS as I average about 42-45mpg combined.

Glad you're ok!!

About 25 years ago I had a diesel Jetta. It was a good little car with outstanding mileage. However using the diesel pumps of the time was a very messy affair, especially if you were dressed nicely. The plastic gloves the stations (sometimes) had helped but it turned me off to diesel for a daily drive car.

It did lay down an impressive smoke cloud the day the head gasket let go.

About 25 years ago I had a diesel Jetta. It was a good little car with outstanding mileage. However using the diesel pumps of the time was a very messy affair, especially if you were dressed nicely. The plastic gloves the stations (sometimes) had helped but it turned me off to diesel for a daily drive car.

It did lay down an impressive smoke cloud the day the head gasket let go.

I keep a set of these in the trunk of my '03 diesel jetta:
http://www.harborfreight.com/pvc-with-dipped-sand-gloves-large-99692.html

Some pumps are really skanky... I tried to avoid them unless at great need. Usually its' my shoes that suffer. [rofl]
Truck pumps are the worst... The fast-flow handles have very large nozzles that, while they physically fit in the filler neck, flow so fast that you have to hold them open only a crack. Takes forever, and the hand cramps something fierce.

My wife has a new Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The mileage is unbelievable. I am tossing the idea of going diesle when I buy my next truck. This is something I would not have considered before.
We put 12,000 miles on a Cruze turbodiesel since December at work. We just bought a second one. We are averaging 38mpg in mixed highway/traffic but they get crazy numbers on the highway. I drove 707 miles on one tank and it still had over a gallon left. Averaged 48.7mpg and didn't really do anything but go with highway traffic.

We put 12,000 miles on a Cruze turbodiesel since December at work. We just bought a second one. We are averaging 38mpg in mixed highway/traffic but they get crazy numbers on the highway. I drove 707 miles on one tank and it still had over a gallon left. Averaged 48.7mpg and didn't really do anything but go with highway traffic.

My best trip so far with my Jetta diesel was my drive to majspud's to buy a m1 carbine from him. my drive from home to his house than the Cape and back home and I averaged 54.6 mpg. I was floored.

Glad you're A-OK Tim. By the way why is this in the milsurp section? Oh nevermind I know the answer to that... because you're so used to posting in this section it's just second nature. ;)

And that's with a 6 speed slush-o-matic.
My 03 has a 5 speed manual, and 48 is my mixed driving norm.

Had to stop by the dealer to pick up my rubber trunk mat and I took top of the line '14 TDI w/DSG and NAV for a spin. Can't hold a candle to the GLI, the trim is poorer, and dual climate is not available. According to the dash I was averaging about 40mpg. Not much power but a good jump when you need it with the torque. I'd consider it next time around.

T

Back
Top Bottom