Saw A Weird And Interesting SKS Today

I was up at Petes Gun Shop in Adams this evening chewing the fat and fondling some C3's...yummy. They got a load of great non C3's in - namely a sweet older Thompson M1 and not one, but two identical SKS rifles. I have never seen anything like them before. Both had thumbhole stocks and both had a sort of grip-tape on the grip and both had detachable 10rd AK magazines. They were both absolutely minty and both appeared to be a factory job and not done by a basement dweller...I didn't think to look for a make, as Mr. Decker was handing me his most sweet 10" M-16, so I was obviously distracted... [wink]

I think he mentioned they were advertised some time back as a "sporter". They looked odd, but were kind of neat at the same time - anyone seen one before?

Those were pretty common back in the days of $60 SKSs. They refitted a bunch of them with removable mags, etc. I'll bet they were Norincos.

IIRC Norinco also had an SKS which used AK mags... only seen one a couple of times, though.

-Mike

Does it look like the bottem one? If so it is a SKS model D or M. I think that the D's came with a bayonet and the M's didn't. They did come in 2 versions, one with a thumb hole stock and one with a Montie Carlo type stock. These two are mine. They take reagular AK mags. What price are they asking for them?

DSC00725.jpg

SKS Sporter

I had a pre-ban Norinko SKS Sporter with thumbhole stock that took AK mags before I moved to MA. I loved that gun! I could hit 3" clay birds at 25 yards and bowling pins at 200 yards without adjusting the 4x scope. Just point and shoot. It was really fun to shoot. Added a screw-on compensator and bipod and the gun really kicked ass.

I wish now that I hadn't sold it. If you've got the dough, I'd get it. It takes standard AK mags unlike traditional SKSs.

Regards,

Bob

Does it look like the bottem one? If so it is a SKS model D or M. I think that the D's came with a bayonet and the M's didn't. They did come in 2 versions, one with a thumb hole stock and one with a Montie Carlo type stock. These two are mine. They take reagular AK mags. What price are they asking for them?

DSC00725.jpg

It looked close, but not so close to the bottom rifle. The stock was far less refined and looked more blonde in color, (like the top rifle). It had more of a look of a thumbhole AK stock - only thinner, (width and buttstock height). The mag well looked assembly line made - not like the gunsmith-made wood plugged Norinco conversion I wish I still had. I'll probably get cross-eyed looks, but I preferred my AK mag SKS over any AK variant. It was smooth as butter, accurate and mag lock-up was strangely better than the AK variants I've experienced. I believe the dealer mentioned a $400.00 price tag on this particular rifle...

Back
Top Bottom