Savage or Remington?

If I were to get a bolt-action rifle, should I go with something from Savage or Remington? I have been doing some research and figured that my choices would be either a Remington 700 or a Savage 110. Since I already have an AR I figured a .223 bolt-action action would be a nice addition to my collection.

I have heard that Remington's quality and reputation have been slipping as of late. Is that true?

Opinions and suggestions would be appreciated?

Last edited:
I was going to say, "don't forget Browning," but then recalled they haven't made a .223 BLR in about a decade. If you can find an older one, might be worth it.

IMO Savage rifles are a great buy. The ones I've shot were very accurate with no tinkering needed. Now with the Accu Trigger system they're even better. Plus you can always get a tactical Dragunov type sniper stock if you go Savage.

All good calls, the only thing that sucks is if you want to get rid of the savage later on it's not worth nearly what you bought it for. FN makes a new patrol bolt rifle that is very nice and comes in .223, .308 and 6.8spc that'd be a cool addition to any collection and i know that Richie's in Westport definately has at least one. They also have some nice Remington 700's with a cool tactical look to them. Happy shopping!

All good calls, the only thing that sucks is if you want to get rid of the savage later on it's not worth nearly what you bought it for. FN makes a new patrol bolt rifle that is very nice and comes in .223, .308 and 6.8spc that'd be a cool addition to any collection and i know that Richie's in Westport definately has at least one. They also have some nice Remington 700's with a cool tactical look to them. Happy shopping!

Speaking of Richie's, I've seen the FN and its pricey, but did they get you to try the trigger on the Savage thats to your left when you first walk in the door?
That rifle has the lightest and smoothest trigger I've ever felt. I'm hoping someone buys it before I get the money together.[laugh]

hands down the savage is the most accurate out of the box rifle with the best factory trigger between the rem and savage.

Savage or Remington

Amen on the Savage it is the bigest bang for the buck and once you own one you wont even
consider the resale factor cause you wont want to part with it, Also it has a 1-9 twist
so you can shoot all the heavy bullets! just in case you want to play at 600yds
i think the Remington is 1-12 so your stuck with 52 / 54 / 55 grainers
i have used 69/75s but havent tried the 80s YET! in my Savage 12V

just my 2 pennies Sheriff Dudley

Savage or Remington

I believe that Eddie !!!! i use a 69 gr sierra over 22 Grains of H322 and that load will
put those bullets right down the neck of a 9MM case punch out the primer and you can reload it again "useing a slighly larger primer" YEA S.D.

Savage or Remington

you are right about savage makeing changes but only recently in the passed year or so
i have a sniper stock Dragunov style for sale in the equipment thread that howie is
interested in buying and i told him to mesure the action screws because if he has a new
12V made in the last year or so the screw holes will not be 4-1/4 c-c thay are an 1/8th''
farther apart and will not fit The Remington has not changed but i would be more
concerned about the twist than dressing it up for looks!! but " differant Strokes"

S.D.

I have 2 Remington 700P LTRs. They are the short barreled police rifles (20" fluted barrels"). Both mine are amazing. One is about 2 yrs old, and one is about 8 months old. I find the HS Precision stocks on these rifles to be excellent, much better than the Hogue ones that some of the Remington 700s come with. Totally worth the money, they are much more rigid. Also, the rifles have excellent fit and finish.

The first rifle has the older style trigger, which I adjusted to as light as possible myself. It was a royal pain, involving 3 screws that were lacquered over so that people don't mess with them. Using the internet, I got a guide on how to do it, and the pull is absolutely amazing. I let people try it, and as soon as they do, the first thing they do is grin at me. Its perfect.

The second rifle has the new X trigger from Remington. This is much much easier to adjust, and much safer (you can't mess it up and cause the rifle to fire when you engage the safety like with the older type). There are one or two screws to adjust, total no-brainer. Also, the whole trigger assembly seems to be of higher quality, I thinkk it is full stainless now. I adjusted that trigger down very well as (though I like the "feel" of the actual trigger of the old group, it has grooves in it).

Either way, both my rifles are excellent shooters, and I love the barrel size and the fluting. I have tried the 10FP trigger, and those are nice too. For me, I just like the options and parts you get get for the 700 action, and also the "stock" stock that the rifles come with is of higher quality. You pay more the LTRs but it is worth it.

If I can shoot 1" groups with these rifles, someone with any skills could easily shoot 1/2" or 1/4th" groups with them.

What about after-market parts and accessories? I've heard that Savage is hard to customize and some stocks do not fit from one year to the next.

Savage changed their magazines from a staggered feed mag attached to the receiver, to a centerfeed design attached to the stock in the last year; and the aftermarket stock makers haven't caught up yet. It will be a more complicated, expensive stock for them to build & sell than the previous series, which they are still supporting. The older staggered feed rifles include every 110/10 series Savage made before that, so there's no shortage of rifles to modify for whatever your purpose is.

I can't think of an easier rifle to customize, actually. Switching calibers on my 10FLP from 308 to 223 takes me about 20 minutes and some hand tools for the whole job. Taking the 110 from 30-06 to 280 AI is a little quicker since there's no magazine change involved. There are at least 6 barrel manufacturers that I can think of selling finished barrels for the 110/10 that drop right in. It's a lot like modifying AR-15s, where there is more assembly work than gunsmith work because of the design.

Where Savage gives up the most to the other rifle brands is, I think, looks. At the price Savage sells these rifles for, I'm not surprised. As far as performance, I believe they'll go up against any mass manufactured rifle, without giving up anything except looking pretty and a higher price tag. I can't forget the reason I started using Savages: more options for lefties than anyone! [smile]

Savage or Remington

I have 2 Remingtons

Either way, both my rifles are excellent shooters. For me, I just like the options and parts you get get for the 700 action, and also the "stock" stock that the rifles come with is of higher quality.

I agree that the stocks are of higher quality i just bought a Bell&Carlson A-2
Tactical stock for my Remington Sendero heavy bbl for F-Class Shooting that i
hope to start doing this year and the stock i took off was the same quality as the
B&C excelent!!! A friend of mine refures to his Savage stock as "tupperware"
oh well But for the money the savage is hard to beat!! he just painted his and
you should check out the beautiful job he did! check the thread by 8X57MM
S.D.

Last edited:
I have both an LTR in 223 as well as a short bbl 308 savage tactical. I think that the Savage is all around as good a gun as the Rem. However, if looks are important, or you want to add a lot of after market goodies, there is not nearly as much for the Savage as the rem.
My suggestion, go for the Savage with either the HS or Mc Bros stock. With any left over (vs. the rem) buy the best glass you can and enjoy.

Get the Savage-you won't be dissapointed. For the price you cannot beat it. I have a two 10FLP one in 223 and one in 308 and the only three things I have done to them outside of mounting a scope is Harris bi-pods and single shot followers in the magazines and swapped bolt handles with extended ones. I think the standard stocks are just fine, but that's just my opinion. With those things added it's still probably cheaper than the Remington without any upgrades and downrange with good handloads I would bet they are equal..

+1 on the Savage. I have a Model 11 in .308 and it's a great shooter.

I bought the package deal for around $420. The scope was apiece of junk but it got me through one season of deer hunting and then I replaced it.

If one thing makes the Savage worth buying, it's the trigger.

I am going to part with the crowd and suggest the Remington 700P. If you're dead set on .223, that's great but honestly, I know enough people who regretted buying the .223 instead of a .308 or larger. Obviously, your choice, as only you will decide what you will do with the rifle.

I faced the same decision when I bought my 700 PSS. The trigger on the Savage is indeed incredibly nice, but I felt that the Remington was just about perfect out of the box. Great trigger, the 700 design is classic and simple, and I just liked the feel of it better.

Either choice will serve you well. The fact that you can get two Savages for the price of one 700P is probably attractive, though.

I've been trolling this thread since the begining....

I have the same two rifles in my signts...

The primary use for mine will be target shooting at 200 yards (max) and occasional 50 yard indoor.

I'm looking at .223 exclusively right now due to ammo prices.

soooooooo, I guess i'm am looking for a few bells and whistles after accuracy...

I also am one to try to tinker and customize stuff, so would the remington be a better choice?

I also saw a Savage 12xxx series with a skeleton (choate) stock... are they worth it?

I only own a .22LR rifle - hence I am trying to "ease" into the bolt action rifles... I figured a .223 would get started before i move onto the "big boy" calibers...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to part with the crowd and suggest the Remington 700P. If you're dead set on .223, that's great but honestly, I know enough people who regretted buying the .223 instead of a .308 or larger. Obviously, your choice, as only you will decide what you will do with the rifle.

I faced the same decision when I bought my 700 PSS. The trigger on the Savage is indeed incredibly nice, but I felt that the Remington was just about perfect out of the box. Great trigger, the 700 design is classic and simple, and I just liked the feel of it better.

Either choice will serve you well. The fact that you can get two Savages for the price of one 700P is probably attractive, though.

Beautifully said. I cant believe I almost sold my 700P. Im so happy the guy backed out. The remy trigger is incredible. I dont fire it often but managed to take it the range both Sat and Sunday and forgot what i was missing.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your input. I will keep you comments in mind for my next rifle purchase...

I said "next" because I came across a used Savage 110FP in .223 today. Needless to say I bought it [smile] Rifle appears to be in mint condition. She already has a Simmons scope mounted although I am not sure the model or how good it is since there were no manuals included with the rifle. I will have to contact the manufacturer and ask for any available documentation.

I am planning on trying it out this weekend.

BTW, I will still get a Remington at some point in the future. I just couldn't pass this one up.

Last edited:
110FP is the one I considered when I was planning my purchase. It should serve you well. Congratulations, now post pictures dammit!

Back
Top Bottom