Saltwater fishing licences still a year off

This should go over real well around here.

By Steve Urbon
Standard-Times senior correspondent
December 24, 2008 6:00 AM

NEW BEDFORD — The federal government is giving Northeastern states an extra year to come up with a system of registering saltwater recreational fishermen or face federal regulation, which state officials believe may be enough to pass legislation in Massachusetts in 2009.

Paul Diodati, director of the Division of Marine Fisheries, told The Standard-Times: "We continue to explore it. We have met with a number of representatives of the recreational fishing industry in workshop settings, which has gone very, very well."

"Those representatives, for the most part, have supported the idea that the state rather than the federal government administer such a program," he said. That is especially true if and when fees for the licenses are ever required, which some view as inevitable and maybe even desirable.

Today, for instance, the state doesn't have a revenue stream dedicated to expanding the availability of saltwater fishing spots in Massachusetts, Mr. Diodati said.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is putting the registry in place to gather data as required under the 2007 reauthorization of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, under which NOAA manages saltwater fish stocks.

The final rule, issued Monday, requires anglers and spearfishers who fish recreationally in federal ocean waters to be included in the national registry by Jan. 1, 2010, according to NOAA. There is currently no fee proposal.

States that have their own registries are exempt, as long as they meet NOAA's needs for data collection.

Today, the states that already have their own systems are California, Washington and Oregon, along with Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia and South Carolina.

Those with systems that will need upgrading are Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, South Carolina and Florida.

All of New England (excluding Vermont), along with New York and New Jersey, have no saltwater recreational registries or licensing, and will fall under federal rules if they don't implement one.

"It's a matter of a choice between administration by the federal government and the state, at this point. It's become clear from our meetings that there might be more local benefits if the state administers it, more control over cost and implementation," Mr. Diodati said.

Asked how it came to be that the Northeast is the last holdout against such registrations, he said, "There has just been a reluctance on the part of New England to go in this direction, although the Division of Marine Fisheries has recommended a licensing program several times in the past 15 years or so.

"When it comes right down to it, the recreational fishing public has always supported maintaining something that's free rather than pay for it. They've been somewhat satisfied with the level of services they receive from the natural resources agency, and if they had a choice to maintain freedom of public access, that's what they chose," he said.

Contact Steve Urbon at [email protected]

I's amazing NY, NJ and NE have been the hold outs here. I can't imagine paying for a license. Also, it is not surfcasters NOAA should be concerned with, it is charters and boaters who have much better access to fish stocks.

Today, for instance, the state doesn't have a revenue stream dedicated to expanding the
availability of saltwater fishing spots in Massachusetts, Mr. Diodati said.

Anyone who believes that the 'Commonwealth' will spend one dime of this revenue stream
to expand the availability of saltwater fishing spots, well I have some beautiful bridges to
sell you. This money will go into the pockets of the corrupt and evil empire known as
Bacon Hill.

Saltwater fishing licenses really piss me off. Just another example of the bureaucracy trying to expand itself. The BS about improving the tracking of fish taken by recreational fishermen, is just that, BS.

They don't need to track the recreational fishing catch they need to prosecute those who violate the catch and size limits, recreational or commercial and stop the wasteful practice of bycatch trashing. If you follow this story it is a complete joke. All funds going into the gov't go into the general fund and are then apportioned back out by our elected and appointed officials, there is no guaranty any of this will help maintain viable fishing stocks just employ more people to study and make sure one more of our freedoms is not free any more.

This whole thing stinks worse than that big blue bait barrel in the back of my neighbor's truck, but I'd say if the feds want it, let them run it. I don't see it as worse that the money is usurped by NOAA rather than Beacon Hill. Besides, I would like to hope that the fed license would have some level of reciprosity. I don't cherish sending further donations to Augusta, Providence, et al.

If I'm surfcasting at one of my favorite spots on the Cape, and a uniform comes up and asks me for a license, I'm gonna reach down my ass crack, come up with a couple dingleberries and say "here's your license you f**king goon."

No, really it's bad enough that we have to pay to fish freshwater. Leave us shore-dwellers alone. We aren't catching too much in the shallows anyway!

I'm guessing this mostly pertains to those with boats, but I'm sure they'll mandate licenses for surfcasters too.

This will be interesting in Mass since most of the coastline is privately owned. The mass property laws (all the way back to 1620something) state that if you own beachfront property, your property line extends out as far as the mean low tide mark. This land right was granted to land owners by the original prilgrims and no administration has dared touch it since then! This is the same law that allows you to be charged with trespassing when going to a beach and sitting down and there is a house behind you.

Will this mean if I am on on my property, fishing on my property(bait sits inside the low tide mark to be clear) that I will still have to pay a fee? Thats almost like having a parking meter in your own driveway!

I think this one might fizzle out and will affect only the national seashore sections where you will need to pay a daily fee to the guy in the little shack for a permit.

Will this mean if I am on on my property, fishing on my property(bait sits inside the low tide mark to be clear) that I will still have to pay a fee? Thats almost like having a parking meter in your own driveway!

Yup, that is what it means.

I think this one might fizzle out and will affect only the national seashore sections where you will need to pay a daily fee to the guy in the little shack for a permit.

Not gonna happen. The Feds have been pushing this crap for years.

We have the same thing going on with freshwater licenses here on Nantucket.
You dont need to have a fishing license because way back when New York gave the island to Massachusetts, they kept the ponds.
In the 50s the local game warden lost a court case when he tried to prosecute two local youths for fishing without a license.
Of course now the bonehead spend it all even if we dont have it types downtown want to try and create some sort of local license.
Thing is, the town clerk doesnt even want to sell hunting licenses after this year.
They are "too busy" and "dont make any money" selling the state's licenses.
How much you want to bet that they will have time to sell the local licenses if they can ram this idea down our throats?
I would support it if I thought we may get a boat ramp or two out of the deal, or maybe some sort of stocking program but Im sure the money made will be flushed right down the general fund toilet. Like usual.

This will be interesting in Mass since most of the coastline is privately owned. The mass property laws (all the way back to 1620something) state that if you own beachfront property, your property line extends out as far as the mean low tide mark. This land right was granted to land owners by the original prilgrims and no administration has dared touch it since then! This is the same law that allows you to be charged with trespassing when going to a beach and sitting down and there is a house behind you.

AFAIK...if you have a lake that you stock on your property...you still need to have a fishing permit to fish it! At least at my gun club the pond they stock you need a NH F&G fishing permit to fish there, plus a club permit.

Back
Top Bottom