Salem NH police captain arrested for federal tax evasion in gun resale scheme

Nope. My first LE gun was ordered by my chief from the cop shop our PD used. When I went to pick it up and pay for it, they advised me that since it was a personal purchase (the PD didn't buy us any of our gear back then), I had to pay all taxes including the FET (built into the price) and MA sales tax. Nothing has changed in this regard. Mfrs oftentimes give LE/Mil/all first responders a discount on firearms.
Unless the copy plays the "official duty" card.

Actually a bigger problem, if you read the article is the guy is (apparently) dying, so unless he gets another kidney soon, he's probably not going to live to see a 2nd batch of
indictments anyways.
The articles always make it sound like someone waiting for a kidney is at deaths door. Sure, the kidney extends life expectancy (a general rule it doubles what you have left), but one can survive, continue to ride, shoot straight and speak the truth for years with non-functioning kidneys. BTDT - 6 years 3 months 5 days.

And if you are in federal prison you get the big filter for the machine. Private sector patients are required to use a smaller filter unless they fail to meet goal with the cheaper one.

I think the pendulum has swung. The once untouchable good guy police
l are now fair game.
i wonder if the greatest offenders. The ones that have for years been known as complete corruptocrats are now vulnerable for retribution by the Healey types .

and picking them off on non, follow up the food chain, charges like tax evasion are perfect for throwing these people to the wolves while not implicating higher ups is just too easy to clean house.

remember they got Capone for tax evasion... not all of the othrr stuff.

Not being a cop I really can't say but we have hung out with a few, when they cut loose oh boy (my experience is less corruption and more just what people do when they are having fun and above the law)..

I wonder if internally this is a thing in police departments, little clicks of good and bad guys, hushed conversations on both ends, people finding their way into like minded departments etc etc

Consider the source, his Lawyer

And when they suspended him last year he was just fine

I'm sure the boys in blue will have a nationwide search in their ranks to find a donor willing to give up a kidney, or they can just identify a civilian and go shoot him into a coma until the organ can be harvested.
Happened in Seminole County, Florida. A 15 year old kid, Christopher Penley, was shot in the head by a SWAT lieutenant and kept alive for two days so his organs could be harvested. After he was hit, he was brain dead. Then they pulled the plug and that was it.

This is nothing new with the Salem Police Dept. Remember the M1 Garands the VFW had them hold for "safe keeping"? Disappeared! The M4 that was left on the trunk of a cruiser? Disappeared! The complete duty rig (including sidearm) left on the back backseat of an unlocked patrol car overnight? (disappeared) The Chief double dipping, working mall details while on the clock? The 3 cops harassing a business owner so much, he hired private detectives to follow THEM, and found them going home and sleeping during their shifts? The chief gave one of them a PROMOTION, as a FU to the taxpayers. Not a cop hater, and plenty of Salem cops are great, but the rot is starting to stink!
There was the whole fiasco at the Icenter too.

So...they stole the M1S that a veterans' organization trusted them to safeguard? Doesn't get much lower than that! "To Protect and Serve" (themselves; screw the taxpayers!). Shame on them!
13 M1's. The VFW had asked the to hold them for safekeeping after an attempted burglary, and a few years later requested them back. GONE! They "think" they might have been traded in. The shitbag Town Manager at the time defended them, saying "they were old rifles, not really worth much". These were provided to the VFW by the DCM/CMP, and when they got wind of this, the told the VFW that they would have to pay for them. I assume the taxpayers ultimately did.

13 M1's. The VFW had asked the to hold them for safekeeping after an attempted burglary, and a few years later requested them back. GONE! They "think" they might have been traded in. The shitbag Town Manager at the time defended them, saying "they were old rifles, not really worth much". These were provided to the VFW by the DCM/CMP, and when they got wind of this, the told the VFW that they would have to pay for them. I assume the taxpayers ultimately did.

"old rifles"..... worth more, every day that goes by.

The articles always make it sound like someone waiting for a kidney is at deaths door. Sure, the kidney extends life expectancy (a general rule it doubles what you have left), but one can survive, continue to ride, shoot straight and speak the truth for years with non-functioning kidneys. BTDT - 6 years 3 months 5 days.

And if you are in federal prison you get the big filter for the machine. Private sector patients are required to use a smaller filter unless they fail to meet goal with the cheaper one.
True, i forgot about dialysis...

Maybe, they don't always indict for those with any sense of regularity.

Actually a bigger problem, if you read the article is the guy is (apparently) dying, so unless he gets another kidney soon, he's probably not going to live to see a 2nd batch of
indictments anyways.
Yah, just like Salvatore Dimasi. Crook.

... My first LE gun was ordered by my chief from the cop shop our PD used. When I went to pick it up and pay for it, they advised me that since it was a personal purchase (the PD didn't buy us any of our gear back then), I had to pay all taxes including the FET (built into the price) and MA sales tax.
You write that as if the shop owner didn't just pocket the "taxes".

Happened in Seminole County, Florida. A 15 year old kid, Christopher Penley, was shot in the head by a SWAT lieutenant and kept alive for two days so his organs could be harvested. After he was hit, he was brain dead. Then they pulled the plug and that was it.
Whatwat.jpg

You write that as if the shop owner didn't just pocket the "taxes".

As a dealer you're not pocketing FET, that entire supply chain of stuff is very controlled. Very few dealers actually even carry anything that's FET exempt. Mostly only big LE dealers do it. Obviously SIG is huge but I doubt they sell FET exempt stuff straight out of the Pro Shop.

As a dealer you're not pocketing FET, that entire supply chain of stuff is very controlled. Very few dealers actually even carry anything that's FET exempt. Mostly only big LE dealers do it. Obviously SIG is huge but I doubt they sell FET exempt stuff straight out of the Pro Shop.
I bet it's all as nightmarish as you say.
It's Len's specific experience (surely related with perfect fidelity, I hasten to add)
that sounds hinky.

You remember the NES uproar over someone collecting Mass. sales tax on a "service".
I don't recall if it was ever determined whether they were retaining the taxes,
vs. remitting them to DoR (who didn't realize it was bogus).

I bet it's all as nightmarish as you say.
It's Len's specific experience (surely related with perfect fidelity, I hasten to add)
that sounds hinky.

You remember the NES uproar over someone collecting Mass. sales tax on a "service".
I don't recall if it was ever determined whether they were retaining the taxes,
vs. remitting them to DoR (who didn't realize it was bogus).
Nothing hinky. The PD didn't buy our guns since we were part-timers and we were only authorized to carry .38Spl, so I asked my friend (chief) if I could purchase and carry a .357Mag with .38Spl loads on duty and he OK'd it. I told him what gun I wanted (Colt Trooper MKIII, nickel) and he ordered it in my name from the cop-shop we used (Central Supply in Millis). The invoice was made out in my name and sales tax was noted on the form. FET is paid by mfrs, not dealers so shenanigans aren't likely about that. As for paying sales tax to the state, DOR can audit businesses and they don't care if you charge for services as long as they get the money. When I got my vendor sales tax certificate, the DOR jerk even told me to charge sales tax for services . . . that led to an argument in his office . . . I'm not a lacky for state gov't.

Nothing hinky. The PD didn't buy our guns since we were part-timers and we were only authorized to carry .38Spl, so I asked my friend (chief) if I could purchase and carry a .357Mag with .38Spl loads on duty and he OK'd it. I told him what gun I wanted (Colt Trooper MKIII, nickel) and he ordered it in my name from the cop-shop we used (Central Supply in Millis). The invoice was made out in my name and sales tax was noted on the form. ...
Wonder if the actual law defines "personal purchase"...

... As for paying sales tax to the state, DOR can audit businesses and they don't care if you charge for services as long as they get the money. When I got my vendor sales tax certificate, the DOR jerk even told me to charge sales tax for services . . . that led to an argument in his office . . . I'm not a lacky for state gov't.
It's alleged elsewhere on NES that DoR loved screwing with businesses
that collected tax on non-taxable transactions like services.

(Thinking about Mass Use Tax makes me realize it might be fun
to play Spot The Statie in the parking lot whenever we hit
a borderlands NH liquor store from now on. They probably only do it
before holidays, or when they're about to announce a budget shortfall,
but there's no harm in sharpening situational awareness...).

The MSP can sit in front of the NH Liquor Store near me all day long, they can't sit in every gas station C store and smoke shop for the 1.5 miles from there to the MA border where people are buying Marlboro's for 72 dollars a carton , or Menthol cigs, plus beer and wine by the case with no bottle deposit on the beer!

We have it all !!! A Tractor Supply store AND a gun shop almost right next door to each other too!

Back
Top Bottom