SAI M1A

Got the tax refund back and have decided I am going to buy an M1A. Was going to head to MFS as they had them a week or two ago. Come to find out they are sold out. Does anyone know any other store that has them in stock? I've checked all the shops I know who post inventory online so I'm hoping someone has seen one before I go to an online site. Thanks for any help.

If I was looking...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/237570-Springfield-Armory-M1A-National-Match-Stainless

attachment.php

P.S. : I don't know the seller or have anything to gain. ~Matt

Heck there are many on gun broker right now ending in the next hour to 24 from 1200 up.
If the one for sale posted above is indeed a national match model. NA9802 model # that's a good price. Heck doesn't the standard run 1400ish?
There's a norinco there also for 1100$.
Fourseasons has a used one listed? Don't know if its a Springfield or Springfield Inc?

I don't know how M1A prices go in the current market, but I bought a standard model from Riley's in Hookset over twenty years ago for $700 and that was considered a good price at the time.

Four Seasons always seems to have some. That's where I bought my Loaded.

Also, I would recommend buy a synthetic stock. If you want a wood stock, you can always swap out the synthetic for a legit GI stock and hand guard for short money.

I want that, but unfortunately my refund was not that big. Should have specified i am looking for a standard or maybe a loaded of its priced right.

Make sure you factor in the two pre-ban mags (verify that they're pre-ban) on that one and sales tax on a new one.

That NM is a good deal.

Make sure you factor in the two pre-ban mags (verify that they're pre-ban) on that one and sales tax on a new one.

That NM is a good deal.

Would love to buy it just don't have the extra $4-500 to afford it right now. Would love to but I have to figure out what gun I want to sell to make up the difference.

None in stock now, but one used. Curious why the synthetic stock? I was planning on this but are the woods stocks not that great?

You're supposed to rub the walnut stocks with boiled linseed oil annually, I read it in an older Springfield Armory manual. I've handled a new M1A Standard and to be honest I've seen better wood on Remington shotguns and Russian guns. Not impressed, it was a little shoddy and the finish is ugly.

Would I buy one if I had the $1450 they were charging? Absolutely. Just be aware that BLO is flammable, especially when it's drying on rags.

You're supposed to rub the walnut stocks with boiled linseed oil annually, I read it in an older Springfield Armory manual. I've handled a new M1A Standard and to be honest I've seen better wood on Remington shotguns and Russian guns.

I've never done that to my M1A or either of my Garands and the stocks are just fine.

I did refinish my M1A stock just for kicks. I sanded it with 600 grit paper, rubbed with tack cloth, and applied tung oil. Repeat several times and the stock looks great.

Composite stocks have the advantage that the are more impervious to moisture. Wood is more likely to swell and affect point of aim.

Why are M1As so expensive? Supply and demand?

Machining. They're simply not a cheap gun to make. In comparison, a M1 Garand cost $85 in WW2, which is about $1215 today. The M14/M1A is machined like a M1, however the Springfield M1As are cast.

I've never done that to my M1A or either of my Garands and the stocks are just fine.

I've done it to a SMLE and it did give some life to the stock. Don't know if it changed accuracy, etc.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Looks like I am heading to gunbroker or will try some of the other recommendations given to me. Think I've settled on the black or Olive synthetic standard. I usually can't save this much money up as I usually end up spending it on another gun so Need to pull the trigger fast. I figure I can always upgrade it to the NM specs as I get money in the future. Just want to get it and shoot the hell out of it all summer.

Also wanted to ask, which is part of the reason I wanted to buy local to take a look, are the Synthetic stocks fiberglass? Or are they cheap plastic stocks? I was under the impression from what I've been able to read that the new stocks are cheap plastic ones?

Machining. They're simply not a cheap gun to make. In comparison, a M1 Garand cost $85 in WW2, which is about $1215 today. The M14/M1A is machined like a M1, however the Springfield M1As are cast.

I've done it to a SMLE and it did give some life to the stock. Don't know if it changed accuracy, etc.

Seems like a good reason, thanks.

Also wanted to ask, which is part of the reason I wanted to buy local to take a look, are the Synthetic stocks fiberglass? Or are they cheap plastic stocks? I was under the impression from what I've been able to read that the new stocks are cheap plastic ones?

Their website says fiberglass. I've only had my hands on wood-stocked M1A Standards, so I can't say. Actually, you might want to consider getting a barreled action and stocking it. If you can get a barreled action for a gino, I'm sure you can put a very good stock on for under the extra $500 that you'll spend on a Springer. What else would you need, a trigger group?

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receivers.html

Their website says fiberglass. I've only had my hands on wood-stocked M1A Standards, so I can't say. Actually, you might want to consider getting a barreled action and stocking it. If you can get a barreled action for a gino, I'm sure you can put a very good stock on for under the extra $500 that you'll spend on a Springer. What else would you need, a trigger group?

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receivers.html

Just saw on the website were it does say fiber glass. I've read through each model multiple times. Don't know how I missed it.

Again would love to buy an LRB, but barreled actions start at 1300, add in gas system, stock, trigger group, and bolt and I am way out of my price range again. Maybe one day.

They do require some machining all the same, though not as much as a forging.

Also, before anyone gets worried that it's a casting, they're investment cast and still very strong.

Personally, I would not buy a current Springfield. Their parts are made off shore and the going feeling in the M14 community is that most of the trigger group parts should be changed out along with the extractors.

I don't know about the current Springfield synthetic stocks but the one I had was very flexible. Most recommend swapping out for a USGI fiberglass if you don't want wood.

If I were to buy a new rifle, I'd buy a Rock-Ola from James River. In fact, I just received my receiver for my next build which will be with an HRA parts kit, USGI Walnut stock and a few minor upgrades. It's getting a Sadlak spring guide and TiN piston and I made an M25 gas system for it.

Typical of this forum - the guy asks a simple question about inventory at local shops, and y'all try to convince him he needs to upgrade his buy to a $2000 match rifle or custom build. 90% of shooters would never notice or utilize the difference, meanwhile that extra $500-$1000 would be far better spent on ammo or training (or not spent at all).

OP, Four Seasons gets M1As in regularly - if you ask, they can usually give you an ETA and reserve one. It's usually pretty quick if the distributor has one in stock.

Also, although I hate the shop, Collector's in Stoneham usually has a couple on the shelf.

Got the tax refund back and have decided I am going to buy an M1A. Was going to head to MFS as they had them a week or two ago. Come to find out they are sold out. Does anyone know any other store that has them in stock? I've checked all the shops I know who post inventory online so I'm hoping someone has seen one before I go to an online site. Thanks for any help.

OP did not mention budget...

Neither. I've always thought it was a quality polymer.

Again, I'd get the synthetic and swap of a real GI stock if you don't like the synthetic.

None in stock now, but one used. Curious why the synthetic stock? I was planning on this but are the woods stocks not that great?

Four Seasons always seems to have some. That's where I bought my Loaded.

Also, I would recommend buy a synthetic stock. If you want a wood stock, you can always swap out the synthetic for a legit GI stock and hand guard for short money.
I think the Walnut stocks from Springfield are better than the GI as far as looks go.... define your idea of short money http://www.treelinem14.com/Service-Grade-USGI_c13.htm

here is my scout. Springfield stock IMG_2831.jpg

Back
Top Bottom