Safety Glasses while cleaning guns

well that sucks aint it? typical glock user.... pffft. my cousin has few glocks, yet had any defects and he DOES reload his own ammo only just like me :)

yes sign language was my first. Perhaps you can go do research on it and see how things works for most deaf/hard of hearing folks. Still doesn't give you guys an excuse for bashing on me lol you guys are ridiculous.

well that sucks aint it? typical glock user.... pffft. my cousin has few glocks, yet had any defects and he DOES reload his own ammo only just like me :)

yes sign language was my first. Perhaps you can go do research on it and see how things works for most deaf/hard of hearing folks. Still doesn't give you guys an excuse for bashing on me lol you guys are ridiculous.

We're not bashing you.

The thing is you should use some common sense and take every precaution to protect yourself from harm. Shit happens, be prepared. Other people are around you as well, you don't know what's up with them.

It's called Situational Awareness

motivator888237.jpg

Get it?

Done with you for now...[wink]

I haven't been shooting that long (about a year) and I've already lost count of the number of times a piece of brass has bounced off my safety glasses. I wore corrective glasses for most of my life until I switched to contacts in 2005. Shooting has reminded me of the importance of eye protection and how I took it for granted when I wore glasses. I now try to wear safety glasses whenever working with tools (always with guns and power tools).

we can discuss anything youd like. i dont enjoy interacting with you on NES. from what ive seen from you its your way or no way, with a extremly condesending attitude in your posts.
Sorry that you feel that way. You've already suggested a solution:

... then do yourself the favor and put me on ignore.

the reputation system is there for a reason. if you cant handle the negative criticism and the generally asinine and stupid remarks i leave with them then im sorry. theres no point to the system if its just for positive remarks only.
Your words, there, not mine. These are your words too:

get off the eThug trip buddy. thanks - Dench

I prefer to discuss things out in the open. I've only ever given out a few negative points and no longer do so. If I have an issue with what someone says, then I will post in the thread. If I think that their post is inappropriate, I will report it to the moderators. I won't try to moderate via negative points -- that is their job and their authority, not mine.

My words are there for all to see, good, bad, and indifferent. Have I been over the top at times? Guilty as charged. I have to admit that effectively being called a megalomaniac tends to be bring out the worst in me.

How do you know my intention? The world is full of people who want to control the lives of others for any number of reasons (drug laws, vice laws in general, stupid gun laws, etc). I don't see how it is an insult to ask whether you are in that group. I didn't say you were in that group.

All I can do is judge by the tone of your post. That is what your post implied to me.

One other thing to realize is that gun clubs here in eastern MA have a target on their backs. Our neighbors want us gone. They will use most any pretext to try to shut us down.

Some recent examples include:

- Maynard Rod & Gun Club had a range shut down because, IIRC, they had not pulled the right permits for it several decades ago. After several years and many thousands of dollars in legal fees, they were able to get it opened again.

- The ranges at Camp Curtis Guild have been closed for 5+ years after a round hit a house near the range. It is my understanding that the errant round was fired by a Cambridge PD SWAT officer who was screwing around with his MP5.

- Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun Club had neighbors claiming that their houses were hit by errant rounds. Some of those neighbors pointed to damage to their homes clearly made by woodpeckers. Another neighbor gave the police an unfired cartridge, claiming it hit their house. They had major heartburn as a result, and have spent quite a bit of money constructing overhead baffles.

- Two ranges have recently been permanently closed by the police after suicides on the range (one in Worcester and one in Arlington).

- One of our neighbors claimed that lead from our range was polluting the ground water. They contacted the Selectmen, DEP, and our state legislators. The first we found out about it was about two hours before a Selectmen's meeting. A DEP investigation determined this was groundless.

If we have a significant accident on our ranges and it is determined that our range rules were substandard (for example, if we didn't require eye protection), our critics would seize upon that as a reason to shut us down.

I'm sorry if I'm more than a bit touchy on this subject, but there really are people trying to shut us down.

All I can do is judge by the tone of your post. That is what your post implied to me.

One other thing to realize is that gun clubs here in eastern MA have a target on their backs. Our neighbors want us gone. They will use most any pretext to try to shut us down.

Some recent examples include:

- Maynard Rod & Gun Club had a range shut down because, IIRC, they had not pulled the right permits for it several decades ago. After several years and many thousands of dollars in legal fees, they were able to get it opened again.

- The ranges at Camp Curtis Guild have been closed for 5+ years after a round hit a house near the range. It is my understanding that the errant round was fired by a Cambridge PD SWAT officer who was screwing around with his MP5.

- Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun Club had neighbors claiming that their houses were hit by errant rounds. Some of those neighbors pointed to damage to their homes clearly made by woodpeckers. Another neighbor gave the police an unfired cartridge, claiming it hit their house. They had major heartburn as a result, and have spent quite a bit of money constructing overhead baffles.

- Two ranges have recently been permanently closed by the police after suicides on the range (one in Worcester and one in Arlington).

- One of our neighbors claimed that lead from our range was polluting the ground water. They contacted the Selectmen, DEP, and our state legislators. The first we found out about it was about two hours before a Selectmen's meeting. A DEP investigation determined this was groundless.

If we have a significant accident on our ranges and it is determined that our range rules were substandard (for example, if we didn't require eye protection), our critics would seize upon that as a reason to shut us down.

I'm sorry if I'm more than a bit touchy on this subject, but there really are people trying to shut us down.

[rofl] totally bad examples. nothing related to safety glasses. those incidents that you posted.. from retards or those who shouldn't be around guns in the first place. Or maybe the ranges wasn't well constructed either! One gun range in augsuta, maine is very well built and we have endless houses all around it, plus it's right on the busy road where cars keep passing 24/7 meanwhile those cars are one of the potential target behind sand dunes, steel plates. With that being said, we also have many shooters that dont wear safety glasses just the ear muffs.

[rofl] totally bad examples. nothing related to safety glasses. those incidents that you posted..

You are correct that those instances are not related to safety glasses, but I disagree that they are bad examples. My assertion was this: ranges in eastern MA are under siege. Our neighbors want to shut us down. Any safety incident that occurs will be used by our neighbors and the others to try to shut us down. Those examples support this. Let's consider them in turn:

At Maynard Rod & Gun Club, there was no safety issue. The neighbors were angry about noise. Through extensive (read: expensive) legal research, the neighbors were able to determine that the club did not have the proper permits 20+ years ago when the range was opened, and so they were able to shut it down temporarily. It was only after several years and thousands of dollars of legal fees that the club was able to reopen the range.

At Camp Curtis Guild, a shooter elevated his muzzle above the backstop when firing and a round escaped the range. Was the shooter at fault? Absolutely. No question about it. But the result was that the range was closed permanently. The same thing could happen at most any outdoor range in eastern MA. Every range I've been to in eastern MA is close enough to its neighbors that an errant shot could hit a neighboring structure. As range officers, we try to supervise closely, but even if we are right next to someone we might not be able to prevent an idiot from doing the same thing.

At Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun Club, neighbors flat-out lied about rounds hitting their houses. Their assertions were completely laughable, and yet they came close to shutting down the ranges and cost the club a lot of money (and grief).

Two ranges in MA have had suicides. There is really nothing a range can do to prevent a suicide. These ranges did nothing wrong. And yet, as a result of the incidents, they were shut down on "safety" reasons.

At our range, a neighbor claimed we were polluting the ground water, when all the evidence (tests from the nearest drinking water well) indicated otherwise. He wanted to shut us down. The fact that our backstop is beyond industry standard in protecting the environment helped us significantly when DEP investigated.

My assertion was this: if an accident occurred at our range, the local authorities would investigate. If they found that we were not taking industry-standard precautions (that is, if we were not requiring eye protection), even if those issues were unrelated to the incident, those issues would be used as a pretext to shut us down. I suspect that officers at other clubs in the area would agree with me.

I suspect that the opinions in ME concerning shooting ranges are somewhat different than down here in eastern MA.

At Camp Curtis Guild, a shooter elevated his muzzle above the backstop when firing and a round escaped the range. Was the shooter at fault? Absolutely. No question about it. But the result was that the range was closed permanently. The same thing could happen at most any outdoor range in eastern MA. Every range I've been to in eastern MA is close enough to its neighbors that an errant shot could hit a neighboring structure. As range officers, we try to supervise closely, but even if we are right next to someone we might not be able to prevent an idiot from doing the same thing.

The outdoor firing range at Camp Curtis Guild closed in 1998 after a stray bullet nearly struck a Lynnfield woman and her toddler. A total of 19 stray bullets have been found in the abutting neighborhood between 1967 and 1998. Prior to the closing, police departments from the surrounding communities used the outdoor range for training.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/camp-curtis-guild.htm

considering 19 bullets have been found, its safe to say many many more have actually left that range. its probably a good thing that that range is gone. there are better and more safe ranges in MA for the military and police to use.

well, like i said... there are many irresponsible folks out there. It's not surprising to hear about those situations that you speak about. Hate to bust your balls i dont consider few of those things you posted as "safety" issues. Just idiotic/careless issues that has to be taken cared of. You're absolutely correct that it's not the range's fault.

In reality, people in general always look for something to bicker about and f*** it all up. It's unfortunate for those ranges to get shut down at times because of that. Honestly, After years of shooting in several local ranges and in several states such as alaska, north carolina, n.h., ohio, and new york i rarely wear safety glasses and infact majority of people i shoot with dont either.

considering 19 bullets have been found, its safe to say many many more have actually left that range. its probably a good thing that that range is gone. there are better and more safe ranges in MA for the military and police to use.

Thanks for the reference, Dench. I had not heard that figure.

It is my understanding that the Fort Devens is the only military range left open in eastern MA, and that MMR ranges have been shutdown due to environmental issues. Is that still the case?

The last time I spoke with a fellow in the National Guard, he said that this was having a negative impact on training, but that was sometime ago.

Thanks for the reference, Dench. I had not heard that figure.

It is my understanding that the Fort Devens is the only military range left open in eastern MA, and that MMR ranges have been shutdown due to environmental issues. Is that still the case?

The last time I spoke with a fellow in the National Guard, he said that this was having a negative impact on training, but that was sometime ago.

devens has the best ranges in the state as far as i know. they have a good rifle qual range, and other ranges for things like the mk.19, m203, etc.
for edwards, they had a issue with lead contamination in the ground, so they were trying to change to tungsten-nylon bullets (the last time i read about it was in 2004, so i have no idea what the current situation is there)

devens has the best ranges in the state as far as i know. they have a good rifle qual range, and other ranges for things like the mk.19, m203, etc.

Agreed. I've shot at Golf and Hotel ranges, back with the Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club (they still in existence?). Awesome place.

It was my understanding that the Fort Devens ranges are heavily utilized and travel too and from Fort Devens cut into training schedules. But I heard that second (or third) hand and several years ago, so that may not be accurate.

for edwards, they had a issue with lead contamination in the ground, so they were trying to change to tungsten-nylon bullets (the last time i read about it was in 2004, so i have no idea what the current situation is there)
Unfortunately, that seemed to come to grief as well:

Gov. Mitt Romney announced Thursday that the use of so-called environmentally safe bullets in military training exercises at Camp Edwards on Cape Cod has been suspended after traces of metal were found in the groundwater.

Seven years ago, military officials began using the new, "safe bullets" because they thought they wouldn't contaminate an aquifer beneath the base that supplies upper Cape Cod with drinking water. The bullets were made of nylon and tungsten, a metal that supposedly didn't dissolve into the ground like lead.

But Romney said Thursday that preliminary data from field tests at the base indicate tungsten has leeched into the soil there. He said there is no particular reason for concern and emphasized that there was no evidence tungsten is in the public drinking water.

"I have no problem going to the Cape tomorrow and having a tall glass of water," Romney said at a Statehouse news conference.

Romney said he's ordered tests to make sure the tungsten hasn't reached the public drinking water, and said the National Guard, federal and state regulators and local community leaders would work together to further monitor and study tungsten.

The law of unintended consequences bites again.

Full text here: http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/i...een_bullets_causing_metal_in_water_at?blog=53

But I guess they found a solution to that if they are open again now.

Agreed. I've shot at Golf and Hotel ranges, back with the Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club (they still in existence?). Awesome place.

It was my understanding that the Fort Devens ranges are heavily utilized and travel too and from Fort Devens cut into training schedules. But I heard that second (or third) hand and several years ago, so that may not be accurate.

the golf course is still there and was being maintained, or look maintained as late as DEC 2007, which is the last time i was there.

as for using the ranges, units will generally stay in the field for that weekend running around in the woods in between weapons and training qual. some of the lucky people get to stay at the barracks on fort devens. i only got to do that once out of 5 times.

The ranges at Camp Edwards are back in limited use, and are actually being constructed as model ranges for the training areas of the future. There are several new technology ranges that have bullet trapping systems on them, the EPA has approved return to lead rounds based on the fact that lead leached about 6 inches in 10 years versus something like 3 feet for the tungstun... i dont know the numbers but for the EPA to say use led, its safe!!!... They have totally rebuilt 4 ranges at Camp Edwards in the last 5 years, and all are in regular use. The testing shows that the new trapping systems are more effective than any other method tried to date, and the future looks bright down there. UNFORTUNATELY... its a military range... its not like joe bob and I can walk on and take a few cracks at popups....

Back
Top Bottom