Safest States report

The problem with these things is they don't take into account things like
"big dump cities" accounting for literally 50+% of the given crime in a given
state.

One of the interesting things I've noted about some more detailed
surveys like this though, is there appears to be very little difference in crime
levels between some anti/pro gun states. While this doesn't help pro gunners
that much in trying to sell "guns are good" it does help us in the sense that
it illustrates that pro gun states are at worse, no worse than the states
that have shitloads of dumb gun laws- which illustrates that gun laws
accomplish next to nothing.

-Mike

It's an odd list in some ways. The implication is that I am safer in Boston, Massachusetts (state rank 21) than Albuquerque, New Mexico (state rank 48). Really? I've lived in both cities, and I can't say that any New Mexican city kept me on edge like Boston does.

Part of the problem might be the way they give all crimes equal weight. New Mexico, for example, has one of the highest rates of alcohol-related deaths in the nation (I don't suppose drive-thru liquor stores have anything to do with that), and a high rate of burglary and petty crime in the southern border regions. Are they considering these as equal to, say, shootings and gang-related murders?

Perhaps things have changed in New Mexico and Arizona since I lived in those states, but something about this list still strikes me as being dependent on a very specific methodology.

The list looks an awful lot like the "guns per capita" list I saw someplace else.

Back
Top Bottom