• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SacBee: Sacramento fire captain fighting California assault rifle charges after ATF raids home

AHM

NES Member
Sacramento fire captain fighting California assault rifle charges after ATF raids home

By Ryan Sabalow
June 28, 2021 05:00 AM, Updated June 28, 2021 04:09 PM

On July 18, 2019, federal agents with a warrant searched the El Dorado County home
of a Sacramento Metro Fire captain looking for illegal machine gun parts.

It didn’t take long to find a trove of weapons.

According to prosecutors, agents discovered part of an Uzi submachine gun,
numerous high-capacity magazines and at least 19 assault rifles, as well as parts to
four AR-10 rifles and two AK-47s. They also found two devices that can convert Glock
pistols to fully automatic machine guns.

Capt. Derik Oakes, who continues to work for Sacramento Metro Fire, could lose his
job if he’s convicted of the three felonies stemming from the raid led by agents from
the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Yup...sometimes it’s just easier to move.

My collection started morphing into something that Massachusetts frowned upon, so I found somewhere else to go and took my tax dollars with me.

America would be happy to have any of you reading this. It might save you the trouble of what this sorry sap is going to inevitably go through.

Until they specifically list what this guy had, I’m assuming they were just parts kits...not illegal to anyone, anywhere in the US as far as I know?
LOL, if the ATF has a murder boner for ya, it doesn't matter at that point. Will it hold in court? Probably not, but they'll getcha with anything and the talking heads will just print what they hear.

LOL, if the ATF has a murder boner for ya, it doesn't matter at that point. Will it hold in court? Probably not, but they'll getcha with anything and the talking heads will just print what they hear.
oh, I understand the game...I’m just refusing to play. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but his life is completely destroyed regardless.

oh, I understand the game...I’m just refusing to play. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but his life is completely destroyed regardless.
atf-ate-istares-in-infringementi-owned-firearm-atf-meme-49054494.png

Until they specifically list what this guy had, I’m assuming they were just parts kits...not illegal to anyone, anywhere in the US as far as I know?
The selector mechanism for a glock is itself the machine gun. For an ar you can have a full auto sear and trigger as drilling the third hole makes the receiver a machine gun. If he had glock full auto selectors he is screwed

We need to quit farting around with right wing cop bootlicking. Defund the ATF followed by complete elimination period end. Let's see there is only one republican willing to stand up and do it, the rest are boot lickers. When someone who has never broken any laws, never a threat to the community in any way and was alway willing to risk their own life for the community suddenly becomes criminal #1 for some parts he bought online then it's still law enforcement that's the problem.

Yup...sometimes it’s just easier to move.

My collection started morphing into something that Massachusetts frowned upon, so I found somewhere else to go and took my tax dollars with me.

America would be happy to have any of you reading this. It might save you the trouble of what this sorry sap is going to inevitably go through.
While LEO's may have been less cooperative elsewhere, since this was a BATFE raid, he would have had to move to a different country. According to this story, the warrant and search were fallout from the JNC 80% Glock Auto kit mess.

I’ll just never understand the point of owning a illegal NFA items…

What good is something you can’t take to a public place and shoot..And have to worry about getting jammed up over it

... the warrant and search were fallout from the JNC 80% Glock Auto kit mess.
Major fail here on the part of the fireman. If I'm reading this right, the JNC kits were once legal but then declared illegal and the manufacturer turned over the customer list to the ATF. ATF visits the fireman and wants the part. Fireman essentially refuses and that's when the **** really hits the fan... i.e., full-blown raid and persecution for anything and everything cops and ATF can find. o_O And they can find a lot 'cause California. :(

He should have given ATF the part. [thinking]

Am I correct in understanding that one of the charges stems from Oakes building a couple of ARs and then adding his own serial numbers to them? If I build an AR from an 80% kit, it would be a Federal crime to engrave the lower with my own serial number? Or was the serial number bit a Cali specific crime?

I’ll just never understand the point of owning a illegal NFA items…

What good is something you can’t take to a public place and shoot..And have to worry about getting jammed up over it
There are rural ranges in California where NFA stuff is common and everyone MYOB's.

Am I correct in understanding that one of the charges stems from Oakes building a couple of ARs and then adding his own serial numbers to them? If I build an AR from an 80% kit, it would be a Federal crime to engrave the lower with my own serial number? Or was the serial number bit a Cali specific crime?
That one is California specific. As of a few years ago, I think, California passed a law requiring people to get home build serial numbers from the state. Similar to a law proposed in MA last year.

He's charged under California's anti scary looking gun laws (30600 and 30605) with both manufacturing and possessing. The Feds can still charge him separately for the Glock Giggle Gear. I don't think the Federal law against altered serial numbers would apply, though.

may be problematic to do without access to f15s and nukes.
to make atf go the whole wash dc abomination got to go. and no one will go along today with the idea of redesigning the structure of the union.

Think about it though. If an ATF agent lived in that town and his house was burning down, that agent would be grateful to the fireman who risked his own life to rescue the agents kitten. Meanwhile the agent who shines a seat with his rear end in what can best be described as a t*ts on a bull job chewing bubble gum all day long and with the manners of a frat boy plots about how to take down the guy who rescued his kitten from a burning building. What a strange world we live in.

Think about it though. If an ATF agent lived in that town and his house was burning down, that agent would be grateful to the fireman who risked his own life to rescue the agents kitten. Meanwhile the agent who shines a seat with his rear end in what can best be described as a t*ts on a bull job chewing bubble gum all day long and with the manners of a frat boy plots about how to take down the guy who rescued his kitten from a burning building. What a strange world we live in.
True but he had to have known the risk of being busted.

Back
Top Bottom