SA question for the legal eagles

OK

Chicago, DC and now San Francisco have voted as municipalities to ban hanguns.

The SA seems to be fairly clear on the matter. The question everyone is asking is how do these cities get away with it?

My theory is that it simply hasn't been tested in court yet. Is that true?

The NRA says it is going to file suit. Would this be a federal or state suit?

Has the NRA filed similair suits in DC and Chicago? Have there been any results? If not, why not?

People here are worried that Boston is going to do the same thing. But isn't it already happening on a de facto basis when local butt-head police chiefs can arbitrarily deny a license for no reason????

It seems to me that is even more onerous that allowing the populace to vote on the matter. Is the NRA testing that practice?

I know I started out with one question and wound up with a bunch, but any clarification you can give would be appreciated.

I just don't want to be one of those that go around beating my chest about the SA when it appears that it no longer has any teeth.

Thanks!

I'm not a legal eagle, however, I think that some folks, etc. are waiting until there's a more conservative bench on the Supreme Court before they run it up the flag pole. FWIW...

That would sure make sense..

Why piss into the wind.
Well... Unless there's a democrat in front of you! [twisted]

Adam

Re: That's what I was thinking too

News Shooter said:
even a liberal court would be forced to be honest about it...
<smack><smack> WAKE UP Damnit! :D

Liberal, honest... You know you CAN NOT use those two words in the same sentence!

Adam

Re: That's what I was thinking too

News Shooter said:
But it seems like it is such a clear cut constitutional guarantee that even a liberal court would be forced to be honest about it...

Oh wait...I'm sorry. Bad idea. Never mind.

I'm glad you came to your senses hun. That's like hoping the Easter Bunny and Santa wake you up in the middle of the night and introduce themselves before they leave.

Yes

I'm definitely one of those die hard Pollyanna's who is trying to continue to believe the earth really isn't spinning off its axis.....

then I read something like this:

Rome's Pet Ordinance Has Tails and Tongues Wagging
# Rules aimed at protecting animals' rights are praised by activists, but can the city really enforce them?

By Tracy Wilkinson, Times Staff Writer

ROME — In the greater animal kingdom, the plight of the little goldfish is especially harsh. The tiny creatures are scooped into plastic bags and awarded at carnivals and fairs. They are confined to bowls where they can do nothing but swim around and around. Some (it has been claimed) go blind.

No more. The municipal government of Rome has entered waters where few city halls dare tread. Under a new ordinance, the city's goldfish are entitled to a proper, full-sized aquarium, and they can no longer be given out as contest prizes.

The rules were drafted by the city of Rome's Office for Animal Rights. The 59-point statute ordering better treatment for all pets, from cats and dogs to birds and lizards, was approved by the City Council last month and will go into effect today.
[roll]

OMG!!!! I've been guilty of animal cruelty when I was young!!! <hangs head and weeps> My pooor little gold fish...I caused him to <sniff> go <wail> blind!!!

I can't live with myself.....

Not me...
I have always gotten too drunk and ate them LONG before they every had a chance to go blind! [twisted]

Adam

I had a hamster

and when it died I put it a dairy queen banana split boat filled with dry grass. My intent was to give it a Viking burial. But when I set fire to it and pushed it out into the pond it went about ten feet and flipped over and sank.

OK, I've officially done what I hate..hijacked and ruined my own post

Re: I had a hamster

News Shooter said:
OK, I've officially done what I hate..hijacked and ruined my own post

[lol] [lol]

Getting back to the topic, I've heard others say that the NRA is waiting until there's less of a chance to have a "swing" vote go to the DARK side. It makes sense to me to wait until you know that you've got someone who really IS going to be a Constitutionalist judge.

Back
Top Bottom