s&w m&p

I'm giving a lot of thought to getting one in 9mm. I think I need to go to one of those public ranges and shoot one first as I am worried about DAO.

'07 catalog says DAO and 10 lb trigger as an option on the compacts page but it is not mentioned on the full size page. Is a 10lb trigger less than or more than a regular trigger?

I read so many positive comments about them on the forums I think I am missing something [shocked].

Comments?
Thanks,
Bill

I'm giving a lot of thought to getting one in 9mm. I think I need to go to one of those public ranges and shoot one first as I am worried about DAO.

'07 catalog says DAO and 10 lb trigger as an option on the compacts page but it is not mentioned on the full size page. Is a 10lb trigger less than or more than a regular trigger?

I read so many positive comments about them on the forums I think I am missing something [shocked].

Comments?
Thanks,
Bill

What "worries" you about DAO?

IIRC the M&P is like the GLOCK, always half-cocked. So if you don't mind a GLOCK trigger, the M&P shouldn't be too different.

Yes, the trigger on all models will be 10lbs, MA law, but you can change it to whatever you want.

I fired a M&P .40, recoil was suppringly soft. Trigger was a little weird, but I don't see why I wouldn't get used to it. Personaly I'm waiting for the M&P 45, no point in having a fullsize gun if you can't get full cap mags.

From all accounts (including my own work) the M&P is a really easy setup to smith and WHAT a difference it makes. Don't let the stock trigger turn you off. Find someone who has had a trigger job and judge that. After spending $500 on a gun, another $80 for a good trigger is worth the effort.

The triggers also get a little better with use.

I did my own trigger job and have spare Sears as well if you ever wanted one. it was really easy work...no magic too it at all once you understand how the parts interact.

If youre willing to wait and are going to the members pumpkin shoot, youre welcome to put a ton of rounds through my M&P9C, and i can bring a spare sear and we can swap out my trigger job for a stock sear housing to compare as well...its really easy! i can swap my trigger job sear with the stock one in less than 2 minutes. Im planning to have three....one really light for plinking and fun shooting, one nice less-light and crisp for carry, and a stock one in case i ever want to sell the gun in stock form.

Last edited:
I bought one in .40 a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the range a couple of times and it was shooting about 6 to 7 inches low at POA.

I had someone else shoot it who was used to the trigger and they said it was me, the gun was fine. I then decided to get a trigger job ($60). When I picked up the gun after the trigger job, it was dead on POA. Now I can't leave home without it...[grin]

..or you can do it yourself. Sears can be bought here for 6$:http://mp-store.com/

Worst case scenario, you lose 6$ and a bit of your time and gain a whole lot of understanding on exactly how the parts are interacting. Best case scenario, you get to tweak the reset, pull and feel of the trigger to exactly what you want.

So long as you dont take the striker engagement under .030, you are good to go. I found the job to be simple to an extreme...but people have vastly different mechanical abilities and tools at their disposal and I dont want to be the one to advocate a job and then have someone completely mess it up and blame me.

(disclaimer: I am a custom knifemaker and this trigger job is like basic addition compared to many of the procedures in knifemaking, so my view of the ease/difficulty of the process may be skewed)

+1 he did mine and I had it back in a week and he also sent the old parts! Very nice job he did and very nice to work with.

Very interteresting....my hunch was for the price these guys are charging, they are mass modifying sears and plungers....did he send you back the stock sear and plunger? The trigger job doesnt require any extra or replacement parts....so my hunch is they have a big bag of polished plungers and sears 95% modified and they just drop a new plunger in, replace the sear and do minor tweaks specific to the gun.

Unless they have a VERY low hourly wage for custom work, I cant picture them custom modifying the stock sear of each gun, polishing the trigger bar ramp, removing the rear site, custom polishing the stock plunger, reassembling and refitting for 60$...maybe they are speed demons!

That would explain the cheap cost and turnaround time....maybe I should start a NES business!

Last edited:
You guys that have done your own work, where did you get the sear housing assembly? I'm having a hard time getting one. Brownell's has been on back order for 10+ weeks and S&W is saying its a "restricted" part and will only be sold to qualified armorers. [thinking]

I did the sear work and polishing, now I want to complete it and replace the spring..so I figured I would just pop my worked sear into a stock housing with a lighter spring. I like my 9C fine, but would like it better with a lighter trigger.

Very interteresting....my hunch was for the price these guys are charging, they are mass modifying sears and plungers....did he send you back the stock sear and plunger? The trigger job doesnt require any extra or replacement parts....so my hunch is they have a big bag of polished plungers and sears 95% modified and they just drop a new plunger in, replace the sear and do minor tweaks specific to the gun.

Unless they have a VERY low hourly wage for custom work, I cant picture them custom modifying the stock sear of each gun, polishing the trigger bar ramp, removing the rear site, custom polishing the stock plunger, reassembling and refitting for 60$...maybe they are speed demons!

That would explain the cheap cost and turnaround time....maybe I should start a NES business!

The reason is the MA guns are different.. the entire sear assembly is different in addition to the trigger bar and trigger return string. It's my understanding he uses new replacement parts- that's why he sends the old stuff back.

Ohhhhhhh really? That totally makes sense....I forgot the MA issue....

Im not sure where to get the whole sear housing block, the link i posted only has the sear itself.

Try the M&P forums....they might have a source that has them in stock.

I've seen some mixed answers on the M&P Pistol discussions. What seems to be the common thread is that people in MA are having a hard time getting the entire housing and some are being told that the complete sear housing is an "armorer only" part.

Maybe the rule is not to sell them to MA residents? Or something changed and now they wont sell them to anyone. They definitely seem to have been available for a while, and now they are not.

When I asked the S&W rep on the phone, he indicated that no one was supposed to be selling these parts to unqualified armorers, even though they are listed and were available at one time without restrictions from Brownell's and Midway.

At some point I may give up and sell it to buy a P99C. I hate this state.

Slim- would you be surprised if S&W said anything else? Yeah, I'm sure they and most other gun manufacturers wouldn't want your average Joe doing more than a field strip.... and I can understand that.

IANAL but I'm pretty darn sure they are MA legal... just don't keep asking S&W why Brownells and Midway are still selling them. I believe there are simply supply problems still.... it's not just a MA thing but yes MA sucks.

If youre willing to wait and are going to the members pumpkin shoot, youre welcome to put a ton of rounds through my M&P9C, ...SNIP.

Thanks, but I may not wait that long. From the info in this thread I think I have made a decision.

Bill

I went to the site, but did not see any listing for the standard sear assembly (6.5lb pull). [sad] I am beginning to think that S&W is not distributing this part, knowing that many MA owners would change from the 10lb. pull to the 6.5lb pull -- perhaps, S&W is worried about any legal aspects here. [hmmm] I have a backorder from Brownell's for the standard sear (now over 45 days), and I checked Midway, and they don't have it.

Love the gun (M&P 9c), but hate the trigger. By the way, how can gunsmiths do the trigger job? Did they stockpile the standard sears? Just wondering.

I went to the site, but did not see any listing for the standard sear assembly (6.5lb pull). [sad] I am beginning to think that S&W is not distributing this part, knowing that many MA owners would change from the 10lb. pull to the 6.5lb pull -- perhaps, S&W is worried about any legal aspects here. [hmmm] I have a backorder from Brownell's for the standard sear (now over 45 days), and I checked Midway, and they don't have it.

Love the gun (M&P 9c), but hate the trigger. By the way, how can gunsmiths do the trigger job? Did they stockpile the standard sears? Just wondering.

I feel your pain. I've got 2 on BO from Brownell's and 2 on BO from Midway. If end up with 4, I may be able to part with one.

Modifying just the sear and polishing the bejesus out of the components seemed to make a world of difference compared to the out-of-box experience, but I tried one that also had the non-MA sear housing with the lighter spring and that makes it even better.

What's frustrating is knowing how much better it could be if I lived 10 miles north.

For you guys with just the sear backordered, you can cancel your orders and get them in 3 days from the M&p store i posted earlier. i ordered mine last wednesday and had them in-hand by friday.

Burwell claims he has gotten standard sears down to 2.5# pull with no spring replacements, but I havent ever gotten a full detailed description of the difference between the MA models and standard models to know if the whole housing block is different, or just the spring, or if its just the sear itself or what.

I do not believe thet you need to replace the sear to get a really nice trigger. I work on maybe 4-5 M&P's a month and have yet to change the sear. Some guns are Mass. guns some are not (early versions) I guess. All in all with the right tools and carefull work the M&P works fine with the factory parts. Dan Burwell may be doing a lot of "pre fabricating" by tuning sears in advance to cut turn around time. The dimesional diffrences in sears in nominal. The MA version has the mag disconnect which does not change the sear. As for a 2.5 pound trigger I have yet to see that. I would be a little reluctant to even try it. The inner working of the striker system would make an AD possible. At 4 pounds the M&P trigger is very nice with very little overtravel. I do get parts as a qualified armorer from Smith but have yet to see the need. Greg

Thanks for chiming in greg!

The 2.5 was something Dan had claimed, i think mainly to prove a point that parts dont need to be swapped to lighten the pull as people were asking to replace springs etc. I wouldnt want a 2.5 on anything except a target shooting gun.

Im gonna caliper the sears i received from M&P store, as they did appear differently ground than the stock sear I modified...ill report any dimensional differences that I can identify here...they may just be grinding them a bit different than in the past. Its amazing the stock sears are even as smooth as they are, considering they are just little cast parts that from what ive seen, have hardly even been cleaned up in any way before being assembled in the gun....

Last edited:
Thanks Greg. Lots of contradictory information on the M&P Pistol discussions. Maybe changing the spring is just a way around some very talented working of stock parts.

Back
Top Bottom