S&W M&P Shield Massachusetts Compliant Version(s) HEAVY TRIGGER

the video posted on NES on this thread or one of the others seems to really put things in perspective
you're just gaining some comfort going with a slimmer gun. you do lose some features but if you're looking for a proven platform in .40 or 9mm this should be a great buy

its all all about how slim the gun is.
The other thing you gain with the Shield is a slightly longer grip so someone with large hands like me can get a four finger grip on the Shield but a 3 1/2 finger grip in the 9 or 40 compacts.

My issue with the G27 is the short grip. Even with the Pearce +1 on the mag it's a lil too stubby to draw from IWB. I've been running a SR9c because of that lil extra length. Once the Shield craze subsides a bit I want to fondle one to see if it would be a viable alternative.

My issue with the G27 is the short grip. Even with the Pearce +1 on the mag it's a lil too stubby to draw from IWB. I've been running a SR9c because of that lil extra length. Once the Shield craze subsides a bit I want to fondle one to see if it would be a viable alternative.

The biggest reason I want the S&W M&P Shield is because of the way it feels in my hand.

I have NOT found another, easily concealed semi-automatic handgun

that feels as good in my hand as the Shield.

i know someone with the M&P40c that i'll have to try out IWB. if that doesn't feel good i'll check out the shield.

i think it would be nice to have a slimmer gun. then again my main complains with carrying a full sized 1911 are the weight and the grip length

with my 1911 being 1.3" across the grip and 39 oz
M&Pc is 1.2" wide and 24 oz with a shorter grip. it might just be what i need without having to sacrifice anything going to the smaller shield.

hmmm. i wonder how many people were persuaded to buy a M&PC once they saw the shield vs the other way around?

I already have 6 M&P's... 4 compacts, 2 FS. I had the opportunity to handle and shoot the Shield several times since it came out. It feels great in my hand, like someone else said, I love the extra mag length for my larger hands to fit better. But then, I've used one of my full sized mags in my compact M&P for the better grip with the benefit of the shorter barrel. I also own a Ruger LC9, it's an ok gun, has a place in my vault but it doesn't come close to being the gun the Shield is.. it's just been a fill in while waiting for the Shield to become available.. [grin]

Last edited:
Not sure why you think it wouldn't be a good IWB gun. IMO it's an ideal choice for a .40 or 9 IWB gun especially in the summertime. I simply chose to go with a .45 ACP at around the same size.

IMHO, for me its to small to justify IWB. Im not gaining anything over the PM9 which is pocket carried. Im more just looking for something a little lighter than the Glock 30, which is my normal IWB

The Shield is not a pocket gun, never was meant to be, it's a great IWB gun, light and slim, easily concealable with plenty of power to handle my needs. It fits a need for me, but also is not the only gun I carry. When the situation, attire and other factors come into play... I have several other guns I like to carry from my M&P40fs to my M&P9c, even my S&W1911 Pro45... and can't forget my revolvers, have several of them I like to carry as well... heck... today I'm carrying my BG380 in the pocket, yesterday I carried a little Berretta 25cal....

I am still undecided.... I already have a PM9 and a full size M&P9 ( with a Business end trigger job ) I love the M&P, and like the super small size of the PM9. Im leaning in the direction of adding the M&P9c instead of the Shield as the shield is longer in the grip area and holds fewer rounds. I also loose comparability in mags and high caps ( which an ample supply has bee purchase and left out of state )

Are the sacrifices the Shield requires really worth it??

IMO the 9c is too small to shoot well and too big to conceal well so it's the worst of both worlds......

IMO the 9c is too small to shoot well and too big to conceal well so it's the worst of both worlds......

I disagree with both statements, but admit that what works for one person may not work for another person.

Also, the Shield "may" be a good solution for women to CCW? I'm wondering if it is something that might work for my Wife, and when it becomes possible I'll have her give it a try and see.

The M&P compact is a great shooter, comfortable, low bore axis, no recoil (9c anyway) and can be a full size gun with xgrip and full size magazines. It conceals easily iwb with the flat baseplate. Most importantly it goes bang every time. I do have apex parts though, so if your shooting a MA gun it may not feel so good.

Will I get a shield since I have a 9c, probably not, unless I feel it could be pocket carried. I may get a pm9 though.

Last edited:
I just don't trust small semi-autos. I will stick with my m&p340 for summer and sig p229 the rest of the year.

it could be worse.

they could have made it with a 6lb trigger pull, no safety and told MA to f off. then it would be just like rest of the gun manufacturers that produce great guns we cannot have

at least they willing to make guns for us.
+1. My thoughts exactly. Too bad it has to be this way, but at least a few companies don't write us off all together.

As far as I know they all have a safety. How big would your balls be if you had the possibility of getting fined thousands of dollars for every gun you sold.

I am sick and tired of everyone always bitching about the gun manufactures. These companies are put into these situations because of the elected politicians in MA and across the country. If you want to bitch, bitch to the politicians. If you want to write a letter, then write it to the politicians. If you want to do something about it, don't boycott the manufactures, boycott the politicians.

This. and get an APEX kit in the meantime....

Or you can have them put it out with a 6.5# pull, not have it sold by dealers in Mass, and then wait for pre-owned versions to pop up in the classifieds at $300-400 over MSRP for the first few years they're out.

I don't understand the hype on this gun either. I've had a 3913 for years and a 3954 DAO version of the same gun, compact single stack 9mm 8+1made of metal. Great trigger, cheap and find them almost every place I look? Yet there's no love for these guns? everyone wants a plastic one with a crappy trigger? Help me understand this.

It's much SLIMMER... & Light Weight & Easily Concealable!

I fully understand and agree it will need a trigger job or a APEX kit.

Don't knock it til, you shoot it... Or at least physically check one out at your local shop.

northframingham said:
It's much SLIMMER... & Light Weight & Easily Concealable!

I fully understand and agree it will need a trigger job or a APEX kit.

Don't knock it til, you shoot it... Or at least physically check one out at your local shop.

I'm not knocking it just trying to understand it, much slimmer than the guns I mentioned above is hard to believe. I will be interested to see one, so far the only thing slimmer and lighter than the above mentioned guns in a single stack in 9mm is the Kahr. Which is much smaller and in a different class size wise. The hype is what I don't get, S&W has had single stack lightweight concealable handguns in 9mm out for over 20 years this is nothing new. It looks like they will sell a ton of the shields though.

No matter what you say or how you explain it... sometimes, some people just don't get it.... I think it's cause they don't want to get it... [grin]

I just looked at the new roster (7-12) and the S&W Shield 9 & 40 are on the list.........

S&W website says it will be available in Oct.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell the free state one is even that low. I bet on a gauge it breaks higher than that.

-Mike

I have fondled it and however it may play out on a scale, it definitely feels pretty light. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty close.

I have fondled it and however it may play out on a scale, it definitely feels pretty light. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty close.

The sample I tried was probably 7+ ish, based on my unscientific scale-finger. Felt like every other free america M&P.

A lot of striker fired pull claims are bogus, seems to be with every manuf, too. For example my "5.5 pound" Glock triggers all break at over 6 somewhere. These values are "peak before break" on a pull gauge.

-Mike

Seems like the Shield is hotter than the iPhone 5. I'll wait for the gushing review threads before I order one up in .40

There is no way in hell the free state one is even that low. I bet on a gauge it breaks higher than that.

-Mike

The sample I tried was probably 7+ ish, based on my unscientific scale-finger. Felt like every other free america M&P.

A lot of striker fired pull claims are bogus, seems to be with every manuf, too. For example my "5.5 pound" Glock triggers all break at over 6 somewhere. These values are "peak before break" on a pull gauge.

-Mike

Sounds like "marketing hype"!! And the free state M&Ps were supposed to break at 8# . . . yet many are at 10-11# OOB!!

Back
Top Bottom