S&W M&P Shield Massachusetts Compliant Version(s) HEAVY TRIGGER

Retired-LEO

NES Member
On the S&W site they "NOW" list (2) MA Compliant Versions: 9mm & .40S&W

The first one listed is the 9mm & The second link is the .40S&W

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...80153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_812570_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

SKU: 180051

Estimated Availability - October 2012
Trigger Pull:10.5 lbs. +/
003.gif

Last edited:
Wish they would have the nice 6.5lb trigger pull; like on the display model at the store.

However now at least is is on the approved list & there is now an estimated date. October 2012

it could be worse.

they could have made it with a 6lb trigger pull, no safety and told MA to f off. then it would be just like rest of the gun manufacturers that produce great guns we cannot have

at least they willing to make guns for us.

It's not difficult to have a trigger job done on it though, is it?

A new Shield plus a trigger job is still probably cheaper than finding a G26 in this state.

10.5 trigger pull and a safety too! S&W has no cajones.

As far as I know they all have a safety. How big would your balls be if you had the possibility of getting fined thousands of dollars for every gun you sold.

I am sick and tired of everyone always bitching about the gun manufactures. These companies are put into these situations because of the elected politicians in MA and across the country. If you want to bitch, bitch to the politicians. If you want to write a letter, then write it to the politicians. If you want to do something about it, don't boycott the manufactures, boycott the politicians.

As far as I know they all have a safety. How big would your balls be if you had the possibility of getting fined thousands of dollars for every gun you sold.

I am sick and tired of everyone always bitching about the gun manufactures. These companies are put into these situations because of the elected politicians in MA and across the country. If you want to bitch, bitch to the politicians. If you want to write a letter, then write it to the politicians. If you want to do something about it, don't boycott the manufactures, boycott the politicians.

Vote Them ALL Out!

S&W is a major manufacturer and employer in this state and their business is producing firearms. They have the ability and resources to lobby the politicians, in their home state, so they aren't "put into these situations". Instead they roll over and put key locks in their revolvers, mag safeties, "tactile" loaded chamber indicators, ridiculous trigger pulls.....
They shouldn't be absolved of the situation they find themselves in.

If Ruger could pull it off with the SR9c then I'm pretty sure S&W could've too.

Last edited:
S&W is a major manufacturer and employer in this state and their business is producing firearms. They have the ability and resources to lobby the politicians, in their home state, so they aren't "put into these situations". Instead they roll over and put key locks in their revolvers, mag safeties, "tactile" loaded chamber indicators, ridiculous trigger pulls.....
They shouldn't be absolved of the situation they find themselves in.

So we should leave it up to the manufacturers to get the politicians change whats wrong in our states? I'm sorry, I believe it should be the people that tell the politicians what to do. In all honesty I don't think S&W even has the resources to do it on their own. FWIW, I still don't blame the manufactures for being over cautious.

I don't see that horrendous loaded chamber indicator flag that the CA guns have. That's a plus. As far as the trigger goes, just bring it over to Lou at Businessend Customs in Tewksbury.

The spec table says 10.5 lb trigger pull, but the text in the Overview paragraph says 6.5 lbs.

Have you tested one yet? Most reviews I have seen have been positive. It actually makes a pretty good concealed carry gun.

I am still undecided.... I already have a PM9 and a full size M&P9 ( with a Business end trigger job ) I love the M&P, and like the super small size of the PM9. Im leaning in the direction of adding the M&P9c instead of the Shield as the shield is longer in the grip area and holds fewer rounds. I also loose comparability in mags and high caps ( which an ample supply has bee purchase and left out of state )

Are the sacrifices the Shield requires really worth it??

So we should leave it up to the manufacturers to get the politicians change whats wrong in our states? I'm sorry, I believe it should be the people that tell the politicians what to do. In all honesty I don't think S&W even has the resources to do it on their own. FWIW, I still don't blame the manufactures for being over cautious.

Not sure where you read I said to leave it up to the manufacturers alone. Individuals should lobby the politicians, give those who support their causes money and join advocacy organizations like GOAL and the NRA to amplify their voices.
But if Massachusetts gun manufacturers like S&W and Kahr are not actively lobbying at the Statehouse to make products that their Massachusetts customers want to buy and if they think by giving in to silly and meaningless regulations will make the politicians like them, then they're delusional.
What percent of Massachusetts M&P owners modify the trigger on that gun, apex or through a gunsmith? I'd say pretty high and S&W knows that too and they know that the Massachusetts "compliant" Shield that they just posted on their web page with the 10.5 + trigger is a HUGE disappointment to their customers especially when customers in virtually every other state are bragging about the 6.5 trigger on their Shields.

I am still undecided.... I already have a PM9 and a full size M&P9 ( with a Business end trigger job ) I love the M&P, and like the super small size of the PM9. Im leaning in the direction of adding the M&P9c instead of the Shield as the shield is longer in the grip area and holds fewer rounds. I also loose comparability in mags and high caps ( which an ample supply has bee purchase and left out of state )

Are the sacrifices the Shield requires really worth it??

The whole point of the Shield is that it is noticeably slimmer than the Compact and comparable baby Glocks. I think it is worth it, but I went an alternate route and got the XDs instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure where you read I said to leave it up to the manufacturers alone. Individuals should lobby the politicians, give those who support their causes money and join advocacy organizations like GOAL and the NRA to amplify their voices.
But if Massachusetts gun manufacturers like S&W and Kahr are not actively lobbying at the Statehouse to make products that their Massachusetts customers want to buy and if they think by giving in to silly and meaningless regulations will make the politicians like them, then they're delusional.
What percent of Massachusetts M&P owners modify the trigger on that gun, apex or through a gunsmith? I'd say pretty high and S&W knows that too and they know that the Massachusetts "compliant" Shield that they just posted on their web page with the 10.5 + trigger is a HUGE disappointment to their customers especially when customers in virtually every other state are bragging about the 6.5 trigger on their Shields.

They don't make nearly enough sales in MA to justify massive lobbying efforts. The fact that they make nearly all of their models in compliant versions is quite more than enough on their part.

the video posted on NES on this thread or one of the others seems to really put things in perspective
you're just gaining some comfort going with a slimmer gun. you do lose some features but if you're looking for a proven platform in .40 or 9mm this should be a great buy

its all all about how slim the gun is.

the video posted on NES on this thread or one of the others seems to really put things in perspective
you're just gaining some comfort going with a slimmer gun. you do lose some features but if you're looking for a proven platform in .40 or 9mm this should be a great buy

its all all about how slim the gun is.

I still havent handled one, but its still seems pretty useless for my application..... It cant replace the PM9, as it wont fit into a pocket. Width isnt much of a concern as my normal IWB gun is a glock 30. Just seems to small for IWB, to big for pocket.

Ill hold off final judgement until I can handle one.

Glad to see it made the "LIST" [rolleyes][smile]

So I actually watched the video that I posted earlier and to see the compact compared directly with the Shield, I've changed my mind and will be seeking out a Compact 9mm!

Of course I will probably buy a Shield in a few months anyway [laugh]

I still havent handled one, but its still seems pretty useless for my application..... It cant replace the PM9, as it wont fit into a pocket. Width isnt much of a concern as my normal IWB gun is a glock 30. Just seems to small for IWB, to big for pocket.

Ill hold off final judgement until I can handle one.

Glad to see it made the "LIST" [rolleyes][smile]

Not sure why you think it wouldn't be a good IWB gun. IMO it's an ideal choice for a .40 or 9 IWB gun especially in the summertime. I simply chose to go with a .45 ACP at around the same size.

Not sure why you think it wouldn't be a good IWB gun. IMO it's an ideal choice for a .40 or 9 IWB gun especially in the summertime. I simply chose to go with a .45 ACP at around the same size.

Yeah, the 9mm would be a great slim summer time carry. I can't justify buying one for myself but I know these will be great guns after trigger work. Screw the gym, just go to the range with your M&P's.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom