S&W M&P APEX DCAEK Review: Update!

Having purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P 9f in Massachusetts, I knew what I was getting myself into. The first pull of the trigger cemented my fears of the “MA-compliant 10-lb trigger”. It was a nightmare: Long, typical striker-fired trigger pull, but accentuated by excessive grit, (actually audible and tactile) and a final heavy, teeth grinding squeeze to drop the firing pin. I had a “What have I done?” moment, but committed myself to keep shooting. Never having been a threat for an IDPA title, but always having been fairly proficient with a pistol, I have been struggling as of late and this wasn’t going to help things – not one bit. It was then the opportunity to install an Apex came into play and the unbearable M&P has been transformed into a really superb pistol.

The Apex ‘Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit’- (DCAEK), was designed by Apex to “provide the M&P (9 mm, .357 Sig & .40 only) pistol owner a smooth, consistent 5 - 5.5 lb trigger pull with the advantages of shorter over-travel and reduced reset.” The Apex DCAEK “arrived in three individual packages: First, the Apex Hard Sear. Please note this is for the 9mm, .357Sig and .40 S&W only and is not intended for the M&P45. Next was the M&P USB, (Ultimate Striker Block). Lastly, the Apex Increased Rate Sear Spring and the Trigger Return Spring. It should be noted that the sear spring will not work on MA-compliant M&P’s. In order to make the dreaded Massachusetts compliant trigger, Smith and Wesson had to engineer a larger diameter sear spring and plunger. Massachusetts Apex customers can expect a trigger pull in the 6-pound range, while free-staters can look forward to a trigger pull in the 5-pound range.

There has been some speculation that Apex kits are little more than “repackaged Smith and Wesson parts”. This is simply not the case and when you compare the parts – especially the Apex hard sear to the MiM factory sear, it becomes even more evident. From the shot-peened springs, to the CNC machined, tool steel, hardened sear, every part has a look and feel of exceptional quality standards. In my mind, this is where I favor Apex. You’re not just having a reworked MiM sear reinstalled into your gun – you are actually installing a new, already reworked, (as in reengineered) hardened steel sear into your M&P. And some of the folks at Apex aren’t just engineers and marketing gurus – they are pistolsmiths and competitive shooters with decades working in the firearms industry.

When I first looked at the packages, I have to admit it seemed like a daunting task to install the DCAEK. It became less so after watching the ‘how to’ videos at www.youtube.com/apextactical. Still, I decided to err on the side of caution, realize my limitations with tools and the space to use them and turn to a friend who not only had the tools and space, but had actually done an Apex install on his M&P 45. Hopefully, KMM696 will chime in with the finer points of the install, but after going over the videos and the nuances of the install with KMM696, I would feel comfortable attacking this project myself. If you’re a confident tinkerer or DIY-guy, this is right up your alley. While Apex markets this kit as “drop-in”, they also recommend installation by an “armorer or gunsmith”, which I think would be a win-win. In this case it wasn’t needed and the results were nothing short of stellar. My only criticism with Apex regarding the parts is the packaging of the Increased Rate Sear Spring. It really needs to be packaged within the package, (mine was loose in the bag). It’s so tiny as to be easily lost, so use extreme caution when opening the spring package! I had visions of my AR-15 build and crawling around on the floor with a magnet and a headlamp for an hour and a half…

Prior to the first round heading downrange after the install, my memory will always be the grin on the face of KMM696 has he handed me my M&P. He too had experienced the gritty mush festival that was my M&P 9 trigger. It was just awful – not just for a Massachusetts compliant firearm, but for a firearm period. I’m not sure why Smith and Wesson can’t make a smooth 10-pound trigger, or at least one without so much excessive grit and crazy long reset, but I’m no engineer and don’t play one on TV. I suppose in the end, they had to work within some ridiculous guidelines and just threw in the towel when they finally got close. Either way, if anyone is sitting at home with a MA compliant M&P and you have not done anything about your trigger, get something done as soon as humanly possible and watch your shooting improve. That’s what happened to me – instantly. Many gun product reviews are done by people who spend countless hours on the range – sometimes daily. They are competitors, gun writers, law enforcement officers and gunslingers. I’m none of these – I’m just a shooter who has found himself struggling with consistency over the past year and a half. Be it age, failing eyesight, eroded technique, or a combination of all, my proficiency with a pistol has been slowly ebbing. As a 25-year “45-guy”, I turned to the 9mm for a variety or reasons, (from ammo cost and availability, to lower recoil). I turned to the M&P for feel, features, availability and value. You’ll not find me a “blame the gun” kind of person, but in this case, if I were to tackle the issues I’m having on the range, the stock M&P was not going to help.

The installation of the Apex DCAEK has removed any concerns I may have had about the M&P. The rest is up to me. The first pull of the trigger was almost shocking and certainly a grin producer. Gone was the grit and the seemingly mandatory tug to get the firing pin to drive home. The pistol just fired. I was operating as an RSO on the rifle range that day, so by rule we’re limited to shooting at 50-yards. When I heard the 9mm “thwap!” the 24”x24” target board I just kept smiling. When I repeated it, I was like a kid at Chucky Cheese. The most surprising thing to me was the reset. It seemed before that resetting the trigger almost felt like you had to release the trigger completely. This is not the case anymore. Reset is short and crisp. First shot travel feels about the same, but the grit, (both felt and audible) is completely gone. On the indoor range, shot groups have shrunk considerably and once consistently, left of center, groups are gradually moving back to the sweet spot. The M&P is just a joy to shoot now. When I bought this gun, I didn’t want to like it. It was just a tool in a toolbox and for all intents and purposes it still is. The addition of the Apex DCAEK to my M&P9 has changed my thinking completely. It’s still a tool, but it’s one I now really like a lot. So much so, that an M&P compact is on the horizon for me. In the future I will be posting some before and after photos of my target improvements and perhaps a side-by side of Apex parts compared to factory. For now however, here are some stats:

- Apex DCAEK: $89.95
- Install Time: Approximately 1 hour
- Trigger Pull Before Apex: 10.6-lbs
- Trigger Pull After Apex: 6.3-lbs
- Grit: Gone
- Pull: Smooth
- Reset: Sweet (how’s that for technical jargon?)

I’d like to thank the folks at Apex for engineering such a superb addition to the Smith and Wesson M&P. The dedication to your craft absolutely shows in the finished product and the performance speaks for itself. It truly has transformed my pistol from a gun I keep in the safe, to a gun that I carry every single day and that to me says a lot. If anyone is on the fence about an Apex install and would like to try mine, drop me a PM – you’re welcome here in The Berkshires anytime and I’ll even pick up the range fee. Bring along your stock M&P and compare the two side by side. You’ll walk away realizing: “there is no comparison”…

http://www.apextactical.com/

Last edited:
MassMark asked me to put the DCAEK kit in his M&P 9, since I had put one of Apex's hard sears in my non-MA M&P 45 and not screwed it up. The DCAEK kit is a noticeable improvement over just the sear, but is a bit more challenging to put in. It's not a difficult job, but is a bit fiddly, and requires some patience to line up all the bits correctly, have one slip, realign, move something else, etc. The installation videos on YouTube from Apex are excellent - just keep in mind you are watching someone who has probably installed these kits thousands of times. It can be just as easy as it looks on video - but not your first time, though.

It is a doable home project, with minimal tools required. The tool included by Apex with the plunger and spring was a huge time saver, and kept me from losing the spring or disk into the depths of my workbench. Hammer, a couple different size punches, bench block, masking tape, vise with padded jaws and the allen wrench for the rear sight. In difficulty, I'd call it a little more difficult than a complete teardown/buildup on a 10/22 trigger. Keep in mind you are working on the fire control system for your pistol - if you have doubts whether you should put this kit in, maybe you should be paying a gunsmith for their experience level.

For the MA compliant M&P owners - the tiny little replacement sear plunger spring is not used at all in the MA pistols. The MA ones have a plunger and spring almost twice the diameter of the non-MA version. So, you can ignore the part in the video where you have to fish around in the trigger block to get the old one out without losing the plunger. Swap the sear, put it back together.

I did have one "Oh, shit" moment putting the kit in. After replacing the sear and the trigger spring, but before putting the new striker block in the slide, I function checked the sear and trigger, and put the slide (with the original striker block still installed) back on. Tried the trigger and had a minor panic attack of the "I killed his pistol, MassMark is going to kill me!" kind. The take-up before hitting the sear felt just like dragging a cinder block across a parking lot - couldn't even tell where it fired. After a couple slide on, check sear & trigger, slide off cycles it finally occurred to me that maybe installing the whole kit instead of parts of it would be a good thing.

[banghead]

Yep, it works much better with all the parts. I didn't explore what the geometry differences were between the Apex and S&W striker block were, but you can be sure Apex put theirs in for a reason. All the nasty crunch in the sear is gone, reset is much shorter, pull weight is down. I'm not going to argue with a trigger pull gauge, but subjectively it feels lighter than the 6 pounds it is, at least to me. I'd really like to do a side-by-side comparison between this kit and a gunsmith worked MA M&P.

I'd say this kit is a must-have for the M&P - or a trigger job. I would bet that an experienced M&P smith could turn out a really nice trigger, possibly better than the Apex kit. For me, it was the logistics of the acknowledged M&P smiths all being 2+ hours away that brought me to Apex. I've been kicking around the idea of an M&P 9, and I know wouldn't even bother shooting it until I got the Apex kit in.

Thank you, Apex.

Wow, I'm speechless. MassMark, your article is amazing, thank you so much for your write up on our products.

We've fixed the one thing you didn't like....the Apex Sear Spring comes in it's own little "crack baggie" now so it's not easily lost. We produced a MA Sear Spring too, it drops trigger pull weight by about a pound, so if you're interested in lightening it more, let us know.

If you don't mind, I'm going to copy and paste your entire article into our blog to share with the rest of the world.

Scott

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I'll be installing mine this week. Did they happen to include a slave pin to hold the trigger return spring in place?
I was told that they will be sending me a MA compliant kit. I had a choice between a 5.5 and 5.25# trigger pull. I chose the 5.25# kit. I wonder about this after reading above.

Thanks for the review. I'll be installing mine this week. Did they happen to include a slave pin to hold the trigger return spring in place?
I was told that they will be sending me a MA compliant kit. I had a choice between a 5.5 and 5.25# trigger pull. I chose the 5.25# kit. I wonder about this after reading above.

Yep, slave pin was in the package with the parts. The kit we used didn't have the MA sear plunger spring, which might account for MassMarks M&P ending up a pound higher than the one you ordered.

Thanks everyone - hope my little no-pro review helps. Flork - thanks for your kind words. Feel free to cut-n-paste wherever you wish and if a lighter MA sear spring is available, count me in. I'll give KMM696 another bag of Oreos and a 6-pack of tropical berry wine coolers to install it... [cheers]

Last edited:
Thank everyone - hope my little no-pro review helps. Flork - thanks for your kind words. Feel free to cut-n-paste wherever you wish and if a lighter MA sear spring is available, count me in. I'll give KMM696 another bag of Oreos and a 6-pack of tropical berry wine coolers to install it... [cheers]

Dude.....DIET tropical berry wine coolers, please.

Thanks everyone - hope my little no-pro review helps. Flork - thanks for your kind words. Feel free to cut-n-paste wherever you wish and if a lighter MA sear spring is available, count me in. I'll give KMM696 another bag of Oreos and a 6-pack of tropical berry wine coolers to install it... [cheers]

I hope you are kidding. Everyone knows you must buy double stuffed Oreos to go with diet tropical berry wine coolers.

Wow, I'm speechless. MassMark, your article is amazing, thank you so much for your write up on our products.

We've fixed the one thing you didn't like....the Apex Sear Spring comes in it's own little "crack baggie" now so it's not easily lost. We produced a MA Sear Spring too, it drops trigger pull weight by about a pound, so if you're interested in lightening it more, let us know.

If you don't mind, I'm going to copy and paste your entire article into our blog to share with the rest of the world.

Scott

Thinking about getting a M&P45. How do you order the MA sear spring? I don't see it on your website.

Thanks

Thinking about getting a M&P45. How do you order the MA sear spring? I don't see it on your website.

With the addition of the MA Sear Spring and all the other springs we have, we discovered that there are too many combinations for us to keep track of, so we removed the MA kits from the web site temporarily and are encouraging customers to call to order MA kits/springs. The shop number is 805-528-5250

Scott

I completed the install of the Apex AEK in my 2010 MA compliant M&P 40c. I have a very big complaint, but that will come later. Essential to this job was the purchase of a 1/8 inch punch that I picked up at ACE Hardware. Everything went smoothly except I somehow mixed up the USB springs. A quick call and message left with Apex resulted in a return call from Randy within 5 minutes. It turns out the bronze colored spring is the Apex USB sping. The stock S&W spring is silver and has more resistance.

I installed the sear block and spring first. I did notice a dramatic change in the trigger resistance by feel. I do not have a gauge. I did notice a grittiness to the trigger pull. Before I go any further, I want to say that this was minor and not like the grittiness of other M&P 40s demonstrated on Youtube. It was there prior to the new sear block, but I was expecting it to be completely resolved with the sear block.

I installed the USB and spring. This was where I mixed up the springs. The grittiness did resolve completely after I installed the Apex USB and spring. Removing the rear site was a little difficult. I did need to tap it out with a screw driver covered with masking tape to protect the finish. Other than that, the USB was a breeze to swap out.

Next came the striker spring. That was probably the quickest and easiest part. It went just like the video.

Finally, I did the trigger return spring. This was more involved because there was more to disassemble and reassemble, but not difficult. The slave pin provided by Apex was essential. Randy mentioned it would be easier to remove the sear assembly when reinstalling so that the trigger bar connects to the sear assembly easily. I did not do this as I found it easy to connect the trigger bar to the sear assembly first before putting the trigger assembly into the base. This is demonstrated on the video.

So, the results are a buttery smooth trigger pull with less resistance, probably 5-5.5#. Definitely less resistance than the callous inducing stock MA M&P. The reset was solid and more palpable. The gun feels precise.

I took it to the range and my groupings were more narrow. They were previously low and to the left and now slightly right of center. That is most likely an error with my technique rather than due to rear sight alignment. It needs more analysis. This gun, being a 40, has a lot of recoil.

I actually enjoy shooting this gun now. Before, it was a chore to keep inside the 10 ring. Now, all 10 shots are in there. The only thing that I thought would improve, but did not, was the dead travel of the trigger before it engages the sear. I can live with that.

NOW MY BIG COMPLAINT: Now, I notice grittiness in everything that has a button/lever and a spring. Does apex have a kit for my car's gear selector button, the door handles, or my motorcycle's gear changer? Thank you Apex and Randy!

Last edited:
Well, it's been over a month now since I installed the Apex DCAEK and I'm continually wowed by how much the Apex has improved not only my M&P, but my pistol shooting in general. The trigger seems to be even smoother than when it was first installed. I have well over 1,000 rounds through the M&P now and am seeing groups shrink, faster follow-ups and less anticipation. I may indeed try out their reset enhancement, as I think the audible/tactile reset 'click' could be beneficial. I am now looking at an M&P 9c for daily carry and cannot imagine the purchase without adding the DCAEK....

So this sold me on a Competition AEK. I got the sear and springs installed, and am in the planning stages of getting my rear sight off (not the easiest part so far, as apparently I'm missing a 1/16 hex). I'm switching out my sights anyway, so I may have a smith do the USB installation while swapping sights.

I do have a burning question:

What's with the two different sear springs? Is that longer one the MA version?

Last edited:
Yes, the longer/wider spring is the "MA Style" spring. Smith has gone to the larger Sear Spring as a standard part now.

Interesting. Thanks! I think it's awesome that you scour the larger forums monitoring these threads, by the way [smile].

Going to try to get the rear sight off with a whole bunch of metric wrenchs tonight, because nobody seems to have english units around here, and buying one for 3$ is totally out of the question [grin].

Then I start banging on the front sight a bit.

My competion gun has 3000 rounds on the sear and USB. I just got a compact to carry with a trigger pull over 10 lbs, my finger cramps after 50 rounds. I am installing the sear and USB tonight. Thanks Randy for a great product and amazingly fast shipping!

I installed a second Apex duty kit in a used M&P9 I bought - it just keeps getting easier. This one was much less stressful, as it was on my pistol instead of MassMarks and I mind damaging my own stuff much less than other people's stuff. This kit went in with just a 1/16" Allen, a hammer & brass punch, and a steel punch on a table in the living room. Excellent results, again. The M&P it went in was used, and had a typical MA trigger. I refused to waste ammo on it until the Apex was in - another very nice trigger! Thanks again, Apex.

I installed a second Apex duty kit in a used M&P9 I bought - it just keeps getting easier.

My first time, and it's pretty easy so far. Getting the trigger return spring in exactly right so as to not rub on the gunk in the channel was tricky, until I figured out that it was going on (and cleaned the area). I also immediately lost my stock sear spring, but oh well, the new one is just fine.

Getting my blasted sights off I expect to be the biggest challenge, as I lack basic tools like a vice or an english-unit allen wrench, and am too much of a tinkerer to obtain either.

Getting my blasted sights off I expect to be the biggest challenge, as I lack basic tools like a vice or an english-unit allen wrench, and am too much of a tinkerer to obtain either.

I haven't had much luck substituting the metric allens for the tiny SAE ones - the ones that fit always slip on me, and usually trash the fastener.

On the other hand, once the screw is loosened, the last time I took an M&P rear sight off I used a table instead of a vice. Left some slide marks, and the sight wasn't a super-tight one to begin with, but it worked fine. I believe it's left to right removing, right to left installing. If you can't mark up a table, a hockey puck makes a nice work surface. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom