S&W E series vs Remington R1 enhanced thoughts?

Great choice on the S&W. Honestly you need to look at it this way. If you really like a gun spend the extra money for the one you want. I used to make the mistake of going with a cheaper model of the same style of gun and always regretted it, traded it in, lost money, and bought the one I really wanted in the end (example wanted a .357 revolver, bought a ruger gp101 instead of a S&W 686 Comp series I really wanted, paid $550 for the ruger, got $350 in trade, and bought the S&W 686 Comp. Ate $200 just not getting what I wanted in the first place.)

I have a Sig 1911 series which I love and has served me well but if I were to do it again id get the S&W E-series. Not enough of a difference to swap the Sig for the S&W but the S&W is slightly better for sure.

Good point about the rail. Is yours OWB holster?

I'm thinking for range and training classes, an OWB.

Later maybe IWB, as I might carry it some in the winter.

I'm real skinny, so holsters are always an issue for me.

sent from my phone.

Skinny is easy to deal with .....loose shirts and sport coats go a long way to conceal OWB.

Great choice on the S&W. Honestly you need to look at it this way. If you really like a gun spend the extra money for the one you want. I used to make the mistake of going with a cheaper model of the same style of gun and always regretted it, traded it in, lost money, and bought the one I really wanted in the end (example wanted a .357 revolver, bought a ruger gp101 instead of a S&W 686 Comp series I really wanted, paid $550 for the ruger, got $350 in trade, and bought the S&W 686 Comp. Ate $200 just not getting what I wanted in the first place.)

I have a Sig 1911 series which I love and has served me well but if I were to do it again id get the S&W E-series. Not enough of a difference to swap the Sig for the S&W but the S&W is slightly better for sure.

I owned both and no longer own the S&W. The sig 1911 is a better gun and cheaper. The S&W 1911's are horribly overpriced. Their sales are supported by the MA Nanny gun "list", which is why in free america they do not sell all that much.

See where I am I can get the SIG 1911 and S&W E-Series for the same price. Not talking the pro series, the e-series is typically $850 as is the SIG 1911. Again I still own the SIG and love it just I find the S&W to feel slightly better. Both have rubber grips replacing the stock ones (best friend has the S&W) and again the difference is very minor but in my opinion I like the S&W a little more. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I eagerly awaiting for the S&W to arrive. Should be before Thanksgiving.

sent from my phone.

Got the gun Wednesday, cleaned and lubed yesterday, and trying it out today. Looking forward to trying my first 1911 and .45 ACP.

Was able to get some ammo at a reasonable price ($18.50) and on Black Friday took advantage of Remington rebate to get 10 more boxes. Hopefully, the Mag tech and Remington rounds will fire well.

I'll need to keep collecting cases, so I can reload this caliber too.

sent from my phone.

Wow! Shot 100 rounds at the range today (after cleaning and lubricating first). Had some hiccups on the first 30 rounds, until I diagnosed what I was doing wrong. With my Sig P938, I would sweep the thumb safety off, and then fire. The rubber grips are big, so the thumb safety doesn't protrude much.

With the S&W, the thumb safety is bigger, and from what I could tell, I think my thumb was right under the safety and was bumping it enough to engage it (it wasn't fully up, but must have moved enough). As a result, the first shot was fine, but subsequent shots would not fire, until I toggled the safety in and then off.

I tried, instead of sweeping the safety, to turn it off and leave my thumb on top of the safety (hope that is OK). After that, I no longer had any issues.

I wasn't expecting a great result, given it is my first 45, a new gun, and I'm a new shooter (about 6 months). Yeah, it is 5" barrel, versus 4.25" or 3", but I'm still working on being smooth and not anticipating, etc (part of the reason to get a 1911 with short trigger pull - figuring it'll be similar to the P938, which I shoot ok with).

Well, all I can say is wow! I was hauntingly accurate (for me). Here are 50 rounds at 15 feet.

smith-wesson-8262.jpg

A little to the left, but all within 3" of the bullseye, and 80% all grouped together. I had a very happy day!

I just got an E-series and decided to shoot some steel...and kept missing at 25 feet. Didn't seem like the sights were off, either since there was no consistent deviation.

At the same time my SW Performance Center 3-inch 1911 stub is a tack driver.

Will go to range over the weekend again and try to figure out what is going on.

Thumb over safety is a popular method of running a 1911, so no worries there. As for holsters, I carried for years IWB with a High Noon holster. It was a Milt Sparks Summer Special clone; rugged and slim. I could hide my full-sized E-series under a baggy t-shirt with no issues. Happy shooting!

I tried, instead of sweeping the safety, to turn it off and leave my thumb on top of the safety (hope that is OK). After that, I no longer had any issues.

I wasn't expecting a great result, given it is my first 45, a new gun, and I'm a new shooter (about 6 months). Yeah, it is 5" barrel, versus 4.25" or 3", but I'm still working on being smooth and not anticipating, etc (part of the reason to get a 1911 with short trigger pull - figuring it'll be similar to the P938, which I shoot ok with).

Well, all I can say is wow! I was hauntingly accurate (for me). Here are 50 rounds at 15 feet.

View attachment 183583

A little to the left, but all within 3" of the bullseye, and 80% all grouped together. I had a very happy day!

I have a Black Arch IWB for another gun, so I'm trying one for this one. Will see how it fits. Need to get mag holders and maybe a OWB for when I take classes.

sent from my phone.

Back
Top Bottom