• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W E series vs Remington R1 enhanced thoughts?

Paleoman

NES Member
Hi,

Been looking into a 5" 1911 in 45 ACP (my first) for range/home use, to complement the P938 I have for carry (main goal is to have both guns operationally similar, for training; secondary goal is that I "seem" to do better with lighter and/or crisper triggers, so I'd like to venture into the 1911 world; I'd like to go with 45 vs 9mm).

I tried several brands at ranges (the R1, non-enhanced, which was my favorite/most accurate of the ones I tried; didn't find an S&W to try).

I've been reading reviews and skimming through some forums. The two 1911s that are on my short list are the Remington R1 and S&W E series.

I'm still trying to find local dealer so that I can check them out in person, though.

Remington:
I'm wondering how the fiber optic sight on the enhanced (versus the large 3 dot) will be for the desired use?

Does the enhanced have the ambidextrous thumb safety? I guess it has a beaver tail for hammer bite - not sure that will be a concern with my hand size.

Is it worth the added cost for the enhanced?

S&W
Interested in the E series over the Pro (from reviews and some forum talk, FWIW).
I'm wondering about the stipling on the front of the grip. Is it aggressive/uncomfortable?

I liked the 1911TA, due to the ambidextrous thumb safety, rail (may be nice to have), and I'm hoping the tritium sights would be good for my older eyes and home use too?

I see it comes in black and silver stainless. Any comments on either?

I haven't been able to shoot this, so would be interested to hear from people who maybe have used both the S&W and the Remington.

If I understand correctly, the S&W E series is a 70 series, and the Remington is an 80 series. Is that correct? It sounds like the 70 is simpler, easier to modify/repair? (wondering if what I read is accurate)

E Series, no question IMHO - handle a few of them and other manufacturers. It's like buying tools - Snap-On vs. Harbor Freight - quality you can feel - maybe not so exaggerated but you get the idea.

I'm going to agree with you regarding accuracy of the R1- it's very good, especially considering the cost. I borrowed a friend's S&W E series and liked it well enough but I thought the R1 ran smoother and the R1 is more accurate for me. Personally I think the R1 is undervalued as far as many opinions go. Compared to Sigs at twice the cost, I'd take the R1 hands down. I have a couple very nice Colts- a Delta Elite and a 1911 from the Colt Custom Shop. As far as accuracy and smooth action, I'd rate the R1 second between the Custom and the Delta.

Opinions will certainly vary, but my vote goes to the Remington. Fiber optic up to you. Personally, for home defense if the light's not good enough to see the sights, it's not good enough to safely ID your target. Also the distances will be point and click anyway.

I own an e-series. I used to own an R1. That's the short version.

The long? The R1 is a good gun for the money; the e series is just a good gun, period. In fairness, mine is the commander size model with the round butt, and the Remington I used to own was the base model. But it's difficult for me to see any improvement you could make on the e-series if what you're looking for is a modern-style 1911.

You're right to ask about frontstrap checkering, which I do find ALMOST too aggressive. But it certainly does anchor your fingers, which is what it's supposed to do. And I wasn't crazy about the fishscale serrations, but they've grown on me.

In conclusion, I've owned several 1911s and while I've got one I like better (a Colt officers) and one that's more accurate (a 1985 Randall), the sc is the one I shoot best overall. Though YMMV.

eta- almost forgot: the scandium e-series is, indeed, series 70. I'd imagine the other e-series models are as well. I can't feel any difference between 70 and 80, but some think they can.

Last edited:
I have an R1 Talo that I carry in colder months. I swapped out the grips with some Hogue finger groove rubber grips. Came with a match barrel and has never had a hiccup feeding or ejecting. It is very accurate. The boolits go where I want them to.

Everyone I know that owns the S&W raves about them. I don't like external extractors and the fish scale thing just doesn't do it for me. Truth be told, I think you will be happy with either.

I don't like external extractors

I hear this a lot, but if you do a search for failures due to this its few and far between. More during the original rollout, but most of that was worked out a long time ago.

To the OP, I'm firmly planted in the "you get what you pay for" camp. I've shot the Remington and it was decent, but there were a number of things I didn't like. Trigger slop, loose frame to slide, etc'. It shot OK. The S&W, to me, was just that much more better. I own one of the pre-E series 1911s when they first came out and it's been rock solid. I have a couple E series now and a Pro Series that I'm completely happy with.

To each their own, so if price is your deciding factor then go with the R1. If quality and fit come into it, S&W hands down.

I'm sure some people have good luck with Remington 1911s. But I've seen incredible levels of frustration with a couple guys who sent theme back time after time.

Funny thing is if you ever shot a original 1911 you would wonder how it came so far. Rattling , sloppy trigger POS sights .... oh the fun.
I was talking to a pistol shooter and he had this to say about 1911s.
The only reason they came as far as they did is there where so many surplus ones around they where cheap to modify and compete with also there was surplus 45 around to.
I own 2 SW one is the older one with the awful billboard logo on the slide.
The other is a performance center from 2013 love that gun.
I also had a norinco 1911 I wish I never sold...
I shot my friends AO and remington and I just didn't care for the feel? Just something about them. Grew up shooting Colts never really had the desire to buy one. All in all its what feels good and works for you in your budget.

As far as night sights go .....my eyes are going south and my night sights are just blurry blobs. No help at all in any condition...
When I shoot at targets and want to shoot small groups I need to get the shots of quickly I have about a 1 minute window before my eyes won't focus on the front sight.
Good luck and try as many as you can.

Last edited:
I'm sure some people have good luck with Remington 1911s. But I've seen incredible levels of frustration with a couple guys who sent theme back time after time.
This. My R1 sucked so bad and the customer service was so poor that I'll never own another Remington product again.

I owned and r1 "enhanced " in 9 mm for a total of 19 weeks. More like I shared custody of an r1, 6 weeks with me, 12 weeks with the repair department (supposed to be 4-6 weeks) then a final 1 week and then it was off to the refund department.
The customer service SUCKED! Gun was accurate, when it ran.
I bought the Sig tacops 1911 in God's caliber and never looked back.
I did like the gun.
As a "point and shoot" guy I especially liked the fiber optic sight. I would stay away from big green until they get the stuff squared away.

Despite what your momma told you, Violence does solve problems!

I own a bunch of 45's, including a Remington R1 and a S&W Performance Center 45 Bobtail Commander. The Performance Center is essentially an upgraded E series. S&W also makes a Performance Center 45 in a five inch full size configuration. All I can say is that the Performance Center 45 is the finest 45 I've ever shot. If the E series is remotely close, it must be good as well. I would recommend that you consider also looking at the Performance Center version. The price jump over the E Series is minor.

for their prices i am unimpressed with the S&W 1911's. owned one. was very accurate but simply overpriced.
i'm a fan of the sig 1911's. i think they have best value and performance, at least for me.

for a budget 1911 I would go with a remington R1 or armscor/rock island armory. i owned an R1 enhanced and that was a fine pistol. ended up selling it because just wasn't getting much range time but it was a solid build. the rock island stuff is an obvious step down in terms of being refined but they also run well.

i would take a budget rock island over the ruger SR1911 any day of the week.

I'm going to agree with you regarding accuracy of the R1- it's very good, especially considering the cost. I borrowed a friend's S&W E series and liked it well enough but I thought the R1 ran smoother and the R1 is more accurate for me. Personally I think the R1 is undervalued as far as many opinions go. Compared to Sigs at twice the cost, I'd take the R1 hands down. I have a couple very nice Colts- a Delta Elite and a 1911 from the Colt Custom Shop. As far as accuracy and smooth action, I'd rate the R1 second between the Custom and the Delta.

Opinions will certainly vary, but my vote goes to the Remington. Fiber optic up to you. Personally, for home defense if the light's not good enough to see the sights, it's not good enough to safely ID your target. Also the distances will be point and click anyway.

I've certainly got a lot of learning and practicing to get better at shooting, but I clearly shot the R1 better than a Sig TacOps that I tried. Good point about the sights. I do have a flashlight (but need to start training using it). I was wondering if the rail on the S&W would be good to consider for light (as I suspect I still need to have a flashlight as a backup).

I own an e-series. I used to own an R1. That's the short version.

The long? The R1 is a good gun for the money; the e series is just a good gun, period. In fairness, mine is the commander size model with the round butt, and the Remington I used to own was the base model. But it's difficult for me to see any improvement you could make on the e-series if what you're looking for is a modern-style 1911.

You're right to ask about frontstrap checkering, which I do find ALMOST too aggressive. But it certainly does anchor your fingers, which is what it's supposed to do. And I wasn't crazy about the fishscale serrations, but they've grown on me.

In conclusion, I've owned several 1911s and while I've got one I like better (a Colt officers) and one that's more accurate (a 1985 Randall), the sc is the one I shoot best overall. Though YMMV.

eta- almost forgot: the scandium e-series is, indeed, series 70. I'd imagine the other e-series models are as well. I can't feel any difference between 70 and 80, but some think they can.
Thanks for the insight. I need to try the grip to see if the front is not too much for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an R1 Talo that I carry in colder months. I swapped out the grips with some Hogue finger groove rubber grips. Came with a match barrel and has never had a hiccup feeding or ejecting. It is very accurate. The boolits go where I want them to.

Everyone I know that owns the S&W raves about them. I don't like external extractors and the fish scale thing just doesn't do it for me. Truth be told, I think you will be happy with either.

Wish I could afford them both :)

I hear this a lot, but if you do a search for failures due to this its few and far between. More during the original rollout, but most of that was worked out a long time ago.

To the OP, I'm firmly planted in the "you get what you pay for" camp. I've shot the Remington and it was decent, but there were a number of things I didn't like. Trigger slop, loose frame to slide, etc'. It shot OK. The S&W, to me, was just that much more better. I own one of the pre-E series 1911s when they first came out and it's been rock solid. I have a couple E series now and a Pro Series that I'm completely happy with.

To each their own, so if price is your deciding factor then go with the R1. If quality and fit come into it, S&W hands down.

Appreciate the comments.I need to see about the grip comfort (I think I can see one today).

Found out more on the R1 enhanced... differences from R1 are...

- Enhanced beaver tail vs dovetail
- Adjustable rear sight
- Red fiber front sight vs 3 dot
- front slide groves
- skeletonized trigger (alum)
- 8 round mag vs 7 round
- wider thumb safety
- match grade barrel

Looks like, with the S&W, there are these variations:

stock - 3 dot sight, non-abmidextrous thumb safety, silver 39.6 oz $979 MSRP
CT - same, only crimson trace laser grip, 38 oz $1149
TA - night sights, ambidextrous safety, rail, 40 oz black/41.6 oz silver $1399 MSRP

R1 enhanced I have one bought from member here. love it shoot it faithfully accurate as hell very dependable have not had a problem with it at all. I did change the front fiber optic to green fiber optic. and a full Wilson guide rod. that thing is a 100yd accurate shooter all day long love it. but we all have our favorites.

I did get to check the grip on an E series S&W. The front of the grip wasn't too aggressive, which was something I was concerned about.

The store had a Remington R1 enhanced with a threaded barrel so I could compare. Those grips are a bit more aggressive of the sides, but not to the point of being uncomfortable.

sent from my phone.

So I need to decide between the two. The S&W is about $400-500 more, and has night sights, rail, and ambidextrous safety. Grip is a tad more comfortable. I was able to fire a Remington R1 (not enhanced), but not the S&W.

I decided to bite the bullet and get the S&W. Ordered one today.

Now will have to figure out what holster, defensive ammo, etc.

sent from my phone.

sent from my phone.

Nice. You won't regret it.

I carry in a N82 Pro. YMMV, but it's a great holster for me; checks every block. Bear in mind my e series lacks a rail; ensure you order a holster that accommodates one.

Ammo? It's a .45 ACP. I doubt it matters much what you put through it, provided you hit the target. My pet load is a 185 gr flat point over 5.4 grains of Bullseye.

sent from my phone.

Good choice! You will not be disappointed. I carry mine with Federal Premium HST 230gr. As to holster I use a Galco Skyops, which has worked well for me.

Nice. You won't regret it.

I carry in a N82 Pro. YMMV, but it's a great holster for me; checks every block. Bear in mind my e series lacks a rail; ensure you order a holster that accommodates one.

Ammo? It's a .45 ACP. I doubt it matters much what you put through it, provided you hit the target. My pet load is a 185 gr flat point over 5.4 grains of Bullseye.
Good point about the rail. Is yours OWB holster?

I'm thinking for range and training classes, an OWB.

Later maybe IWB, as I might carry it some in the winter.

I'm real skinny, so holsters are always an issue for me.

sent from my phone.

Good choice! You will not be disappointed. I carry mine with Federal Premium HST 230gr. As to holster I use a Galco Skyops, which has worked well for me.

Thanks, I've tried Federal Premium in 9mm and it was pretty good.

Good point about the rail. Is yours OWB holster?

I'm thinking for range and training classes, an OWB.

Later maybe IWB, as I might carry it some in the winter.

I'm real skinny, so holsters are always an issue for me.

sent from my phone.

IWB. The N82 holsters are excellent; I'm pretty skinny too, and my holster odyssey has been long and expensive. I feel your pain. Give the N82 a try; they're in demand, so you can always flip it if it doesn't work for you. Some folks can't get used to the twisting draw motion, but it's nothing.

Im not sure if they make a railed Pro holster, but they've got good customer service and a decent website.

Back
Top Bottom