S&W 41 target .22 - any thoughts?

i am looking to buy a S&W 41 target .22 pistol..i hear its the #1 pistol if you want to get into disciplined target shooting. and thats all i see at the range when i encounter the .22 target league practicing. and i talked to the coach Larry Forman and he swears by the model 41 for the serious shooter. going on about the tight tolerances with in the pistol and how each part is hand fitted, and all the custom grips available, etc .. which i totally agree with. and im willing to spend the money for a quality shooter so i can participate in these types of matches.

-any other target pistols in should be considering? or is the model 41 pretty much standard.

-anybody into these types of leagues that have any insight on what i should go for?

Last edited:
From my limited experience shooting bullseye (7 years), I can tell you that high scores are less about the gun you're shooting, and more the amount of practice you put in as the "nut behind the bolt."

I shoot a 41 as do many competitors. Smith & Wesson must have gotten something right since it has been manufactured continually since introduced in 1957 (or thereabouts). But you see plenty of folks with Rugers as well. The current "name" in production guns is Pardini, but there are plenty of other custom-made, hand-fitted, EXPENSIVE guns out there. Here's the site for a fellow in the region who knows his stuff:

http://www.larrysguns.com/

Long story short - the 41 is a solid performer that will allow you to come close to maximizing your score potential. But going beyond that level is all mental discipline and practice.

The Model 41 may not be the most expensive, most exacting, perfect pistol out there, but it is the standard by which all the others are judged.

I bought a late 70's production M41 back in 1984. (SN#A59xxxx) I got it used from LEE in Waltham for $290. It was the second handgun I purchased after getting my LTC. I still own it today and it's still the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. The trigger is unbelieveable!. I never shot competition with it, but I know I've put at least several dozen bricks of ammo through it in the last 25 years. It was never really picky about ammo, but it's favorite load was the old Federal Champion Standard Velocity, but I can't seem to find that stuff anymore. The only problem I ever had was caused by a worn out extractor claw. I replaced it myself for a few dollars and kept on shooting. BTW, I had mine refinished in electroless nickel back in 1986 by the old Baystate Arms in Southboro. It cost me $80 with two mags, but was worth every penny because it has held up fabulously.
=
M41.jpg

I borrowed a S&W 41 while at the range and put about 50 rounds through. Loved it. I was better with it than a non-modified Ruger Mark III hunter.

The 41 is a great pistol, and I shot one in bullseye competition for many years before upgrading to a Walther GSP. Accuracy is outstanding - with a dot sight I had no trouble putting 10 shots through the same hole at 50 feet. They have a reputation for being a bit fussy about ammunition and needing regular cleaning to function reliably, both of which were (and are) the case with mine. That said, when I got things right the gun was adequately reliable and alibis were rare. (As a comparison, however, my Walther has never had a failure of any kind, in practice or competition, with various brands and types of ammo, with very widely spaced cleaning sessions, after many thousands of shots.)

The trigger is good but lacks the subtle adjustments that are available on the real high-end competition guns (e.g., Walther, Pardini, Hammerli, all of which will be about double the price of the 41) and there is no adjustment for angle or length of pull. The factory grips are not suitable for competition, so plan on replacing those - I'd recommend Rink Grips, which are available for the 41 from Larry's.

Overall a very well-designed and competitive gun and there are many of them on the line at bullseye matches everywhere. Like everything Smith these days, I hear continual chatter about the decline in quality with the new ones. I can't vouch for that personally, but if I wanted another one I'd certainly look for a good used specimen first, in part because I and others think the new ones are a bit overpriced.

The 41 is the tried and true bull shooter in my opinion. I own the less expensive cousin...the S&W 422 that was made in the 70's for a while. I love it but for competitive shooting you cannot beat a S&W 41...a classic.

My poor cousin of the 41
DSCF0604.jpg

and yes I have replaced the missing grip screw since I tool this picture. Another reason to go with S&W...customer service. I'm not the original owner yet a set of 4 replacement screws were in the mail to me within minutes of a call to Springfield!

[wink]

Last edited:
I own the less expensive cousin...the S&W 422 that was made in the 70's for a while.

Are you sure about that?
According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, the 422 was made from 1987 to 1997. I have the lightweight alloy version, the model 622VR. The VR is for Vent Rib and it was made only in 1997. It's a fun little plinker, and it sure is light, weighing less than half of the #41, but it's no target gun. However, the magazines are interchangeable with the #41.

I am a fan of the 41 and will own one some day. You shouldn't overlook the High Standard target pistols. They are as accurate as the 41s and available for less money used. I say used because the older pistols are the best. A new manufacturer (Mitchell, I believe) is now making these pistols but they are inferior to the originals. I have a 30 year old Supermatic Trophy model that I recently shot a five shot 1.19 inch group at 50 yds off of a rest (range bag) under very poor conditions. I love this pistol.

You should consider Walther SP-22 M3 and M4 models. In contrast to Model 41's fabled history, the Walthers are new (2008) and there isn't much info about them. The SP22 looks "different" and has a weird method of loading the chamber.
With that said, the M3 and M4 have 6" competition barrels, they are some of lightest pistols around and the trigger is adjustable three-ways. They were designed to be a competition pistol.
I have been shopping around for an upgrade to a Ruger for bullseye and after considering (and trying) all options, including 41s and Pardinis, I decided to take the risk and buy sth new. Well, I am ecstatic. This is the best .22 I have fired and at a very, very reasonable price. It puts CCI, Aguila and cheap Federal AutoMatch in a single whole at 50' off a rest. It feeds reliably on Federal Bulk, Champion and Gold (although I didn't try those for accuracy).
Disassembly is a breeze although you have to use two Allen wrenches.
I can't think of anything else to add... Ask if I omitted anything major.

content_var_m3_en.jpg

Last edited:
How much? How is the trigger? Also, 50 feet isn't much of a challenge for a pistol of this type; groups at 25 or 50yds would be more infomative.

You should consider Walther SP-22 M3 and M4 models. In contrast to Model 41's fabled history, the Walthers are new (2008) and there isn't much info about them. The SP22 looks "different" and has a weird method of loading the chamber.
With that said, the M3 and M4 have 6" competition barrels, they are some of lightest pistols around and the trigger is adjustable three-ways. They were designed to be a competition pistol.
I have been shopping around for an upgrade to a Ruger for bullseye and after considering (and trying) all options, including 41s and Pardinis, I decided to take the risk and buy sth new. Well, I am ecstatic. This is the best .22 I have fired and at a very, very reasonable price. It puts CCI, Aguila and cheap Federal AutoMatch in a single whole at 50' off a rest. It feeds reliably on Federal Bulk, Champion and Gold (although I didn't try those for accuracy).
Disassembly is a breeze although you have to use two Allen wrenches.
I can't think of anything else to add... Ask if I omitted anything major.

content_var_m3_en.jpg

Did you get the M3 or M4?

The S&W Model 41 is the best 22 LR semi auto made in the uSA for bullseye pistol shooting. it has a superb trigger.
Further upscale you have to go to one of the foreign target pistols such as the Walther GSP, Pardini SP, Feinwerbau, etc. I personally believe that you should consider one of these when your scores average ca. 850 with the Model 41.

Are you sure about that?
According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, the 422 was made from 1987 to 1997. I have the lightweight alloy version, the model 622VR. The VR is for Vent Rib and it was made only in 1997. It's a fun little plinker, and it sure is light, weighing less than half of the #41, but it's no target gun. However, the magazines are interchangeable with the #41.

Okay I stand corrected...I own the cheaper one made between 87 and 97...[thinking]...bought it used $200 I think. It is the alloy version as well but no rib (for your pleasure or the guns [smile]). I have seen the stainless steel version (Mike Sr. of North Shore Firearms has a stainless and it is heavy and a solid shooter. That one may be able to compete better than the alloy version but as a plinker with my Wally World Red Dot it's a blast! [banana]

Billo...I picked up the mount off of gunbroker for cheap money. It doesn't have a manufacturer's name anywhere on it but if I figure it out I'll modify this post. B-Square or something like that?!? Check your PMs!

Last edited:
If you can find one, an early (Hamden, CT or East Hartford, CT) High Standard Trophy will serve you as well as the S&W at a lesser price. At one time, it was available with a 10" barrel but mostly seen with 7-1/4" barrel. Many of the folks I shoot bullseye with shoot them, as do I. There is a shop in VT that still makes replacement barrels for them.

Here's the #622VR. I also have it's little brother the #2214.

sw622vr.jpg

I swapped the slides between the two once just to see if it would work. They both functioned just fine. The two-tone look was kinda' neat looking too.

Last edited:
Old thread here but I recently discovered my 16 year old S&W .22 pistol that I bought new in January 1997 for $259 is in fact a 622 VR, and in great shape. I've maybe put a few hundred rounds through it. Love the gun, and at age 53 I'm beginning to shoot again. Picked up a Beretta PX4 recently and my wife out shoots me with it. Can't wait to see how she does with the 622 VR!

Old thread here but I recently discovered my 16 year old S&W .22 pistol that I bought new in January 1997 for $259 is in fact a 622 VR, and in great shape.

I had mine out a few months ago, I'm still amazed at how light it is.
I'm guessing you read my earlier post, when I said the magazines are interchangeable with the model 41, that's not completely true.
The old model 41 mags will NOT lock into the 622VR, but the 622 mags DO work in the 41.
This is because the locking notch in the 622 mags extend to the front of the mags, where the old 41 mags do not.

SW_Mags.jpg

One thing I always thought was weird is the disassembly procedure on the 622.
If you don't have that little orange plastic chamber flag tool, removing and reinstalling that locking wedge can be a bitch.
OTOH, the model 41 is the easiest gun in the world to strip and reassemble.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom