• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 1066 lubrication question

So my S&W 1066 should be in my procession some time next week. The firearm has not been fired for probably 12 years now. I wanted to clean and lube it properly before I take it to the range and shoot it for the first time.

According to the manual I should add a single drop of oil to each side of the slide and 2 drops on the barrel (screen shot of the instructions are attached). I do have Hoppe’s No. 9™ Lubricating oil.

My question is, do most people use lube on the slide or do they use a type of grease there?

Thanks in advance, James

Attachments

• 1066.PNG
    1066.PNG
    50.3 KB · Views: 29
Oil or grease on S&W Autos?

This is the go to place for all things Smith & Wesson. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned about my 3rd generation semi autos. I will warn you that as soon as you mention that you are getting a 1066, people will want pictures. There is a small, but very hard core 10mm Smith fan group over there. There is even one guy who has built some 45 ACP to 10mm conversions.

Thank you very much for the link and reply. I cannot wait for it to arrive.

James

You're welcome. I have a safe full of 9mm 3rd generation guns. And one lonely .45 as well. Great guns. Accurate, reliable, beautifully made. It's a shame that market conditions forced S&W to abandon the platform in favor of the M&Ps.

Thank you very much for the link and reply. I cannot wait for it to arrive.

James

I use synthetic motor oil, 20w50, liberally. None of this one or two drops BS, unless I am going to carry the gun.

- - - Updated - - -

PS works great on my 6906, 5906, 4506, and 1006.

Gammon,

Thank you for your reply and information.

Looking at the thread that Garys linked, it appears there are many ways people are going about this. In one post (on that thread) there is a link to an article and the gentleman who wrote it uses Automatic Transmission Fluid.

What do you guys use to wipe down the outside of the gun with?

Thanks in advance, James

I have tried grease, oil, ATF, spit. It almost doesn't matter as long as it is wet. Wait, what were we talking about again?

For guns, I went to the 50/50 Syn ATF/Syn Motor oil. Why? Someone on here said so and it was cheap. It works. Does it work better? Dunno, when I pull the trigger the gun goes bang. Aside from .22s which are much dirtier and require being careful to not overoil, or AR BCG that need to be really wet, I have never had issues over or under oiling. We over think this. We are not running 6 million cycles per month like a piece of assembly equipment. We are running very loose fitting mechanical devices, not THK slide rails with .0001" clearance.

The big concern with 3rd generation guns, and probably other semi autos, is excessive wear on the slide rails. This is more of a concern on firearms with aluminum alloy frames than on a gun like the 1066. I've been using Shooters Choice, but after reading the thread on the S&W forum, I'm going to pick up some Lubriplate and try that.

Garys,

Do you also add a little lube to the piece I have circled in the attachment? Thanks.

James

Attachments

• 1066-1.PNG
    1066-1.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 27
A 1066 nice find I would like to find one of those.

Well this is an inherited firearm so if I had the choice it would be with its original owner but that is not anything I change. When my day arrives it will be going to my daughter so it continues to stay in the family.

On a side note due to the caliber of the gun it looks like I am off to reloading school so I can learn to make up some ammo for it. Trying to pick up small things for reloading now and then I believe EC will let us know at the class the main things to pick up.

James

The big concern with 3rd generation guns, and probably other semi autos, is excessive wear on the slide rails. This is more of a concern on firearms with aluminum alloy frames than on a gun like the 1066. I've been using Shooters Choice, but after reading the thread on the S&W forum, I'm going to pick up some Lubriplate and try that.

I have well over 30,000 rounds through my 6906 using "Break Free" originally and then 20w50 synthetic when Break Free got too expensive. No appreciable wear on the frame rails.

A silicone cloth is a good thing to have as well. The oils and salts from fingers and hands can do a number on finishes. Give it a good wipe down with the cloth anytime it's handled, before putting it away.

Back
Top Bottom