S-V Based Limited

I built this gun for my brother. I function tested it for about 300 rounds and then gave it to him ... about 3 months ago. He hasn't fired it yet. What a shame. It belongs at IPSC matches getting the stuffing knocked out of it, not in a cold safe in a stuffy closet.

Hand fitted throated and polished chamber in a hand fitted bull barrel. Many hours into a bee's knees slide-to-frame fit. Hand cut and stippled grip-frame. Tripp Research hard chrome. Plus the list of usual suspects; Bo-mar, Wilson, Ed Brown, EGW, STI, S-V, etc.

Since no one gets to see the real thing, I'll stick up a pic and hope it make me feel better. Internet therapy I guess.

"
S-V-Build
"

Did you borrow the trigger guard screw for your gun? [wink] I wonder what that would look like blued with a gold barrel.

We'll see it this weekend in VT, right?

Let me be the first to offer to you, at no cost to you,this exciting new program,

The Supermoto Gun Big Brother mentor program will pick up, play with and feed your lonely gun, Your gun will get to play with other guns, get to run around outside in the fresh air

Young guns shouldn't have to grow up alone. think of the gun...

Last edited:
Thanks very much for all the kinds words. This internet therapy thing really does work. Anytime I hear "wicked," I start feeling more comfortable right off.

It's been so stinkin' long, I can't even remember why I didn't install the trigger guard screw before I took the pictures. (maybe it's a new idea for keeping a gun light ... hmmm, maybe there are some other screws and pins that I could try leaving out ...)

And I don't think we'll see it in Vermont, not unless something lit a serious campfire under his buttstock. 5 months since he gave me the bare frame and 3 months since I gave him the finished gat, and he hasn't gotten a single loading die yet.

But I will give him Mike's address so that he can consider availing himself of "Supermoto's Pistol Daycare and Ammo Dump." In fact, of all the irony, his name is Mike and he'll likely be bringing a S&W skinny gun to Vermont.

Supermoto said:
Let me be the first to offer to you, at no cost to you,this exciting new program,

The Supermoto Gun Big Brother mentor program will pick up, play with and feed your lonely gun, Your gun will get to play with out guns, get to run around outside in the fresh air

Young guns shouldn't have to grow up alone. think of the gun...

Mike, anytime you want you can borrow my Limited gun. I hate having it sit unused. I have sold a few STIs lending that out.

Last edited:
Dan that's a sweet gun... Good job on the build... Hopefully we'll see this thing out on the range one of these days. I'm sure it would look nice in my safe if it doesn't get any use. I could put 20,000 rounds thru it if you need to break it in.

Pete

Could you give us the particulars of what you did to put that fine gun together? Parts used, tools used, milling, filing, etc., and total build time?

That sure is one heck of a gun!

Thanks again for all the good words. Any of you guys could build up this pistol with enough patience. (and the custom scratches you leave behind are what make it truly your own) Believe it or not, it actually made an appearance at the range during this past Wednesday night practice. It must have been all the good internet karma you guys are broadcasting. Since the gun was too pretty, my brother received some advice to throw it on the ground immediately, just so he wouldn't have to worry about scratching it.

I put roughly 60 hours into the gun not counting the hardchrome finish. The total project took 4 weeks including the 1 week roadtrip for hardchrome. A real gunsmith could probably pop it out in a couple of days.

The frame was a bare S-V with a long dust cover. The slide is a Brazos unit that came with the lightening holes and sight cuts already machined. With a pre-machined slide, you might already have the tools you need to build up a pistol.

When the slide first met the frame, they wouldn't even look at each other. That is where the patience comes. If you take off .0001 more than perfect, you can't glue it back on.

The same thing happens when the bull barrel first meets the slide and slide stop.

The barrel, trigger group, extractor, grip safety, and mag catch are STI with an oversize button from Shooter's Connection. The trigger is S-V. The firing pin is Ed Brown. The magwell funnel is Brazos. The guide rod is a full length tungsten unit. The ambi safety is Wilson. The springs are also Wilson with an 11 pound variable-rate recoil spring.

If money had been no concern, the trigger group would likely be a C&S or Brazos group. Still, you can get a very clean, reliable, safe 2.5 pound trigger with off-the-shelf STI parts if you give them enough love.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom