Russian Makarov's in MA

My wife said she would buy me one for Christmas but my problem is finding one in the state as I've been looking for awhile. I remember reading somewhere they stopped importing them in 1994, but the gun shops I've contacted said they can't/won't do the transfer (it's my understanding that some shop will transfer guns before 1998?). Was it only a certain manufacturer that stopped importing them (Bailkal, or IMEZ?) or were all Russian Makarovs banned for import in 1994 or are there new ones still being imported? Just trying to figure out if I can get one or not in this god forsaken state.

Last edited:
You are most likely going to find Czech Makarovs since that is what most of the importers bring in. Which model are you trying to find?

Original Soviet Makarovs are C&R items and hard to find. You need to find guns that were Taken home my soldiers. The commercial makarovs Bailkal, or IMEZ say made in Russia on them and are not C&R. These are very common to find even in Mass. Kittery Trading Post has them every now and then and I have seem then in gun stores in NH. A real soviet Makarov should run from $750 to $1200. I see the commercial ones all the time for $200-275.

My wife said she would buy me one for Christmas but my problem is finding one in the state as I've been looking for awhile. I remember reading somewhere they stopped importing them in 1994, but the gun shops I've contacted said they can't/won't do the transfer (it's my understanding that some shop will transfer guns before 1998?). Was it only a certain manufacturer that stopped importing them (Bailkal, or IMEZ?) or were all Russian Makarovs banned for import in 1994 or are there new ones still being imported? Just trying to figure out if I can get one or not in this god forsaken state.

I seem to remember that the flood of makarovs was well after 94. Iirc it was closer to 2000. Bit it has been a while.

That said.. Unless you have a specific reason for a Russian mak, I would probably suggest you look for a Bulgie or a DDR mak..

they are C&R guns

I'd check GFA and B&K in Natick. Great shops both of them and I got at least 2 maks that I remember there, but it may be more. They also pop up on classifieds here. Bulgies are the cheapest, then Russian/East Germans, and you can find Baikals too. They make a nice carry guns. I do sometimes.

they are C&R guns

I'd check GFA and B&K in Natick. Great shops both of them and I got at least 2 maks that I remember there, but it may be more. They also pop up on classifieds here. Bulgies are the cheapest, then Russian/East Germans, and you can find Baikals too. They make a nice carry guns. I do sometimes.

Was just in and talked to Brian about them. He said he sees them ever now and then but it's been awhile since he has had a Russian one come through the door. Will check out GFA this week.

Only the Soviet Military Makarov's and the East Germans are C&R. The Russian Commercial ones that say made in the Russia on the handles are not C&R. To Quote Makarov.com

"While the list of C&R weapons includes both the East German and Russian Makarovs, the general consensus is that only the original Russian military Makarovs are included among the Russian guns. That is, the commercially produced Baikal IJ-70 with a rear target sight does not qualify under the spirit of the C&R law. While there are some dealers that will sell IJ-70s to C&R licensed individuals, we recommend that you do not engage in such a transaction. The Bureau of ATF has not made a definitive written statement about the IJ-70, but in our opinion, it does not qualify under C&R. The East German guns are clearly C&R eligible."

Polisg P-64 and Hungarian ca-52 are Makarov caliber handguns that shoot 9X18 ammo, and they are C&R but they are not makarovs. Although, everyone on gun broker advertises them that way.

Here are from top to bottom: East German Milsurp Makarov, Cz-82, Bulgarian Milsurp Makarov, Polish Pa-64, Hugarian pa-63. I really need a Chinese and a Russian milsurp model to go next to them.
maks.jpg

Last edited:
they are C&R guns

it warms my heart that you're giving my gun the love it deserves. [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom