Russian Boar Hunt ammo reomendation

mbz4ever

Dealer
NES Member
I'll be going to hunt russian boar at the end of October and i was planning to use bolt action .308 winchester but since its my first time im not sure what ammo should i use.
open for suggestions pros and cons.
Thanks

308 is a good pentetrating deer caliber and should work fine. Personally I would use a good 165 or 180 nosler partition, hornaday interbond or federal trophy bonded bear claw.

going to Wiled Hill Preserve Vermont for a first time.

http://huntwildhill.com/
Wow, good luck, I'm very jealous. I know someone else on this forum (who never posts[rolleyes]) hit a huge russian boar in the chest about 20 yds. with a .308, it turned and charged at him and he hit it again with a semi . I think he was using 180 gr Federal, but this was a BIG boar.

7.62x54R. You hit a russian pig with another russian pig.

Seriously any mid-size rifle cartridge should be good. I'd be more concerned about maneuverability and reacquisition, as you might just end up in tree.

I was think of my russian pu 91/30 sniper im sure 7.62x54r will be a killer, but most likely I'll take SAKO TRG 22 .308.
or should I take Dragunov semi auto just in case [smile]

"Release the boar!"

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

My 50 beowulf or 458 SOCOM would be fun..... I would think 308 might be a little light depending on their size......[thinking]

I have done it with a .44 mag revolver, so your .308 with virtually any soft point from 150 - 220 grains will work well. After you shoot it, expect it to run and bleed out. I do not have any experience with one being shot and dropping on the spot.
Most of these boar are docile, and charges at people are pretty rare. I have not been to Wild Hill, but I expect your shots will likely be within 50 yards. Your .308 and a low powered scope will be fine.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom