• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Running a generator in one's garage?

I am planing to purchase a generator sometime early next year. I have been doing some research and one question I have not been able to find an answer for is this: Can I run the generator in my garage? Fumes would obviously need to be vented out the window but is there anything else that would prevent me from doing this? I've heard stories where people's running generator were stolen right from under their noses and figured that running a generator in my garage would make it more difficult for someone to try to steal it.

I wouldn't run it in your garage. The fumes can still get into your house. If you do ensure you have proper ventilation and CO detectors in the house. Also make sure the garage door is open...which still allows for a generator to be stolen.

Use an anchor and chain to lock it down if you are afraid of it getting stolen. Also cycle it so it only runs while you are awake, etc.

I would not risk running it in the garage. If you are that concerned pour a concrete pad for it outside and run anchor bolts into the concrete. It would be more time consuming than just a set of bolt cutters to a chain or lock. In fact time consuming enough that someone would most likely seek an easier target. You could build a small structure around it, but than you need to be sure it has plenty of ventilation as most portable generators are air cooled.

During the past ice storm I chained my to the trailer hitch of my truck, even though i wasn't real worried about theft. My subdivision only has one road in/out. The entrance is a good 1/2-3/4 mile from my house. During the storm you wouldn't know we didn't have power in my area as 90%+ of the people here had a generator running, and most look out for each other. Just to be safe and conserve I did not run the generator during the day. I would shut it down before work. My house is well insulated, so the temperature only dropped about 10 degrees during the 10 hours or so I was gone for work.

Something else to think about......It is unlikely we will see another situation like this in the near future, so unless you loose power on a regular basis you may not need a generator for another 10-20 years. This could have been far worse. Think about what would have happened if ALL of New England was without power. You would not be able to travel to fill fuel cans in order to keep the generator fed.

Not only shouldn't you run it in an attached garage, but keep it 10 feet from the house as the fumes can enter the house, especially through soffit (sp?)vents.

Big chain, big dog, big gun the big 3 for generator retention

I am planing to purchase a generator sometime early next year. I have been doing some research and one question I have not been able to find an answer for is this: Can I run the generator in my garage? Fumes would obviously need to be vented out the window but is there anything else that would prevent me from doing this? I've heard stories where people's running generator were stolen right from under their noses and figured that running a generator in my garage would make it more difficult for someone to try to steal it.

Would not run it "inside" the garage due to fumes. Mine is on wheels and I use it (other than emergencies) during the winter when I am working on things in the garage. It powers Quatrz heaters at those times.

Leave it just outside the garage door and run cord(s) (under the door) for whatever you are powering. During real cold weather, I may have to run a couple of heaters off the Gen. for about 30 min. before I actually do anything...takes that time to heat the garage. Its OK....gives the Gen. a workout and keeps the fluids going.

NOT a good idea to run a gas Gen. in an enclosed garage. Folks have died from Carbon Monoxide in these sits.[frown]

I have a detached garage 10-20 feet away. Any reason not to run one in there, exhaust running out the back side away from the house? The only thing I can think of would be if it used up all the oxygen or overheated or something like that. Would sure be nice to have it covered up, but not worth any risks.

I have seen a system where a magnetic attachement to the exhaust muffler extends the exhaust through a wall opening, or you could rig some pipe up to do the same.

I have a detached garage 10-20 feet away. Any reason not to run one in there, exhaust running out the back side away from the house? The only thing I can think of would be if it used up all the oxygen or overheated or something like that. Would sure be nice to have it covered up, but not worth any risks.

no risk until you enter the garage to refuel and get overcome by CO. Maybe if you hard plumb the exhaust outside AND have a CO monitor.

I have seen a system where a magnetic attachement to the exhaust muffler extends the exhaust through a wall opening, or you could rig some pipe up to do the same.

Magnetic seems like a bad idea for this:
1) it's not a positive connection and could vibrate off
2) if it doesn't vibrate off magnets loose there magnetization at temperature (the "Curie point") and then it will fall off.

I'd only do this if it was bolted. Also, that exhaust line will get really hot. Make sure it is insulated from the structure or you might be worrying about CO from a house fire [thinking]. In any case, I think you want to use gasketted/sealed connections, no slip fits.

We sell generators at www.EmergencyPower.com I had to jump in here not for a plug but because I feel we have some knowledge in this area and people are making huge mistakes by running a generator indoors or too close to your home.

Being in the industry we hear all the news on this. CO2 will kill you. You will not smell it, you will not see it and you will not know there is a problem. It can build up in your garage and you can walk in and be overcome by it and pass out. Many people die from CO2 and it simply is not worth it.

A co2 detector may help but do you want to trust your life with it?

Buy a diesel not gas. It creates less harmful emissions then a gas generator. You can make your own fuel and it is a lot safer then having days of gas stored at your home.

Diesel is heavy and if someone can lift it, they can have it. Good luck to them.

Secure it by a chain, wrap it around your car tire or drive over the end of it. You don't even need a lock.

We post many stories about people dying from co2 during power failures on iGeneratePower.com It is amazing how many die from running them indoors or too close to the home. I have no idea what they where thinking.

I would agree with most running it in the garage is too risky. Use care in attempting to plumb exhaust out of the building also. Not all engines are designed to push exhaust a distance. You might end up either choking the motor, overheating it or cause exhaust to blow by the rings into the crankcase and escape into the garage that way.

I dug a 3' post hole with a flare at the bottom and drove a grounding rod and anchor rod into the hole, added 3 bags of crete and just lock mine to that when using it. As a bonus I also get to ground the generator, which most advise anyway.

My friend's dad has a Fairbanks Morse 6 cylinder generator that was powering a factory at one time, now its installed in his garage. In a hurricane aftermath, the power company wanted to borrow this generator but were flatly refused. It could power his whole street (about 12 homes). The exhaust is piped outside, no problems. Proper ventilation is key. In a PAW I wouldnt chance my generator disappearing.

My friend's dad has a Fairbanks Morse 6 cylinder generator that was powering a factory at one time, now its installed in his garage. In a hurricane aftermath, the power company wanted to borrow this generator but were flatly refused. It could power his whole street (about 12 homes). The exhaust is piped outside, no problems. Proper ventilation is key. In a PAW I wouldnt chance my generator disappearing.

That's not in Chelmsford, is it?

We sell generators at www.EmergencyPower.com I had to jump in here not for a plug but because I feel we have some knowledge in this area and people are making huge mistakes by running a generator indoors or too close to your home.

Being in the industry we hear all the news on this. CO2 will kill you. You will not smell it, you will not see it and you will not know there is a problem. It can build up in your garage and you can walk in and be overcome by it and pass out. Many people die from CO2 and it simply is not worth it.

A co2 detector may help but do you want to trust your life with it?

Buy a diesel not gas. It creates less harmful emissions then a gas generator. You can make your own fuel and it is a lot safer then having days of gas stored at your home.

Diesel is heavy and if someone can lift it, they can have it. Good luck to them.

Secure it by a chain, wrap it around your car tire or drive over the end of it. You don't even need a lock.

We post many stories about people dying from co2 during power failures on iGeneratePower.com It is amazing how many die from running them indoors or too close to the home. I have no idea what they where thinking.

A few things. You need to worry about CO (carbon monoxide) not CO2 (carbon dioxide). Also, a diesel engine absolutely produces as much or more harmful emissions. You are correct that diesel is more stable long term but a diesel can be harder to start in the cold.

I run a cheapo coleman. 6500watt peak, gas powered, bought from home depot for around $600 a few years ago. This thing runs about 8 hours on a tankfull. I run it in a shed with the shed doors open with the exhaust facing out. Keeps it dry and pushes the sound in one direction. I open my main and backfeed a small subpanel in my garage through a 30a breaker. (I know not the best thing to do but it works during an emergency) At night when I shut it off I just close the shed doors. I don't use it that much but when I do this is the system I have come up with.

Also I didn't like the noise level of this thing, cheap round can muffler, so I put on a stock harley sportster takeoff muffler with a series of pipe fittings again from depot for around $20. Really takes the edge off.

One benefit is it eliminates the critters in and around the shed.

Someday I will actually get my generator back from my "friend" out in western mass.

Well he is right C02 Will kill you if it displaces enough oxygen but the engine that powers the generator isn't going to be giving off CO2 (Dave) LOL

And Paul is right as well and more to the point CO will kill you stone dead and hence if you run a generator indoors at least use a CO detector but I agree it is better to not run your generator indoors.

When I do this I run fans to circulate the air from the Sub Basement that the Genny is in to outside as well at the exhaust vented to outdoors.

I have given thought to have the engine outdoors in a vault (not the bank kind of vault) and the generator part inside a shaft could pass through the concrete wall to spin the generator.

This would keep the sensitive electrical components inside its Faraday cage while keeping the part that creates the deadly CO outside.

A few things. You need to worry about CO (carbon monoxide) not CO2 (carbon dioxide). Also, a diesel engine absolutely produces as much or more harmful emissions. You are correct that diesel is more stable long term but a diesel can be harder to start in the cold.

GENERATOR

friend had a US Steel diesel.ran the exaust out of garage into a 75?gallon ex water storage tank,full of water.stand next to it and all you heard was "glub glub"what it would filter I dont know.but I worked next to it and never had a problem.that did take care of noise.it was a 820 rpm engine or the generator was.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom