• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger or Remington or Smith and Wesson 1911s

GunGrey

Banned
Alright after watching hickory45 on YouTube and shooting a 1911 at smith and wesson.....I want a 1911.

Now pretty much for pricing it is remington being the cheaper of the three. But that doesn't matter i rather save a little longer and get quality. Then to jump on be first gun and be disappointed.

Now there are things I've been wondering. Commander vs GI or what ever. I've been liking the new ruger 1911 and I have to ask has anyone seen them forsale in mass? Are they available for sale from dealers?

None of the above, That being said, Guns and Gear in Agawam just got the Remy in stock if you wanna take a look at it. There's nothing wrong with the three you chose, but I don't like external extractors(S&W), with the exception of the slide, barrel, and bushing the Ruger is entirely MIM parts(again nothing wrong with that, but you can get a cheaper MIM 1911 than the Ruger) and the R1 is an overpriced GI replica, nothing wrong there either, I would just rather spend my money elsewhere and get more for it.
Rock Island Armory makes a great GI and "tactical" 1911 for around $450 out the door, Para has some great deals on their GI and GI expert model or you could go the custom route? Remsport is local MA. and has good deals on over runs if you can assemble it yourself.
Please don't take my suggestions as criticism, I was having the same dilemma until I finally decided to go custom. Had I been in your shoes now rather than then, I would be looking hard at the Ruger and the RIA YMMV

If Ruger comes out with a blued 1911 with polished flats in the $600 range I can almost guarantee you i'll grab one up. I hate the look of stainless :)

If I could swing it i like the ed brown guns but that's way way outta price range.

I thought about the rias but don't know about thepm. And para screw that I've heard so many horror stories I'm not gonna bother. I'll check out guns and gear I'm right by there quioften but hey have kinda wierd times and I always seem to miss them. I might just try and find a used colt somewhere.

Guns and Gear also has a in house 1911 pistolsmith. I thought a custom was out of my reach until I went to Remsport and talked to John. You be surprised at who he supplies. I was VERY skeptical of RIA until I did a lot of research on them. From what I've found their fit and finish is superb and their customer service is second to none. I was considering the first two on this page: http://www.armscor.com.ph/pistols_practical.htm

If you can assemble an AR you can put together a 1911, it should only take you 15 min to a half an hour. I've never attempted it either, but after watching a couple videos I feel pretty confident.

Sent from Evo4G

If you can assemble an AR you can put together a 1911, it should only take you 15 min to a half an hour. I've never attempted it either, but after watching a couple videos I feel pretty confident.

Sent from Evo4G

Err...I'm not to sure about that. Assembling a 1911 requires a lot more fitting than an AR. There's a few threads in the Build It Yourself forum. If the slide and frame aren't already pre-fitted, it can take quite some time and effort to get them to move freely. Assembling AR's are sort of like a reverse detail strip, assembling a 1911 is a project. You can buy a lot of drop in parts, but it might still involve some minor filing, and you'll have some space where a gunsmithed part would fit flush.

RIA makes decent guns, by all accounts (except for the internet haters). They are on "the list," but for whatever reason are not "approved" by the AG's office.

The S&W 1911 is a good gun, I thought about getting one. A lot of guns with external extractors have issues, S&W has been doing it for a while, and I'm pretty sure they've ironed out most of the bugs. It'll treat you well. I doubt you could go wrong with any of the 3 you listed here.

Word on the street is split on whether the Ruger 1911 will be available, some say yes, some say no.

Commander guns are nice, but so are Gov't. I wouldn't go any shorter, at least at first. You have a longer sight radius and slightly more out front weight on the Gov't, which helps with muzzle flip. The Commander carries easier. Commanders also tend to have beavertails, which can help if you have a high grip (1911's can bite). You can get beavertails on gov't models, though.

I like my S&W 1911PD - good solid gun.
I think its tight as hell and locks up nicely. Good trigger too out of the box.

I would probably opt for the RIA.
But there are tons of used 1911s out there.. If you could find a used Norinco for short money that would be a great way to go.

Err...I'm not to sure about that. Assembling a 1911 requires a lot more fitting than an AR. There's a few threads in the Build It Yourself forum. If the slide and frame aren't already pre-fitted, it can take quite some time and effort to get them to move freely. Assembling AR's are sort of like a reverse detail strip, assembling a 1911 is a project. You can buy a lot of drop in parts, but it might still involve some minor filing, and you'll have some space where a gunsmithed part would fit flush.

RIA makes decent guns, by all accounts (except for the internet haters). They are on "the list," but for whatever reason are not "approved" by the AG's office.

The S&W 1911 is a good gun, I thought about getting one. A lot of guns with external extractors have issues, S&W has been doing it for a while, and I'm pretty sure they've ironed out most of the bugs. It'll treat you well. I doubt you could go wrong with any of the 3 you listed here.

Word on the street is split on whether the Ruger 1911 will be available, some say yes, some say no.

Commander guns are nice, but so are Gov't. I wouldn't go any shorter, at least at first. You have a longer sight radius and slightly more out front weight on the Gov't, which helps with muzzle flip. The Commander carries easier. Commanders also tend to have beavertails, which can help if you have a high grip (1911's can bite). You can get beavertails on gov't models, though.

I was referring strictly to assembly, I'm having mine professionally fitted. I'm simply putting the parts together.
I already have a few 1911s. I just want the compact commander just to have it.

Sent from Evo4G

Sent from Evo4G

Is this a joke? You'd be hard-pressed to properly fit a single part in 15 minutes.

EDIT: Oh, I just read your second post. I didn't know anyone did that. Build a 1911, then detail-strip it for you?

Is this a joke? You'd be hard-pressed to properly fit a single part in 15 minutes.

EDIT: Oh, I just read your second post. I didn't know anyone did that. Build a 1911, then detail-strip it for you?

That's OK, he's not assembling and then disassembling just fitting the frame, slide, barrel, bushing, beaver tail and installing the sights.

Sent from Evo4G

Which now sounds like I'm doing nothing... hahaha

Sent from Evo4G

You have to start somewhere!

Those sound like the parts that are hardest, but sounds like you may still have to fit the thumb safety, sear/hammer, and firing-pin stop. It'll take some time, trust me!

You have to start somewhere!

Those sound like the parts that are hardest, but sounds like you may still have to fit the thumb safety, sear/hammer, and firing-pin stop. It'll take some time, trust me!

I think you also have to fit the trigger, some, and possible the plunger (if it's not integrated). I looked into building my own, for a while, but it was a ton of work, and I didn't have the space or money for the required tools.

To answer the actual question:

My choices at the moment would be:

* S&W if I intended to leave it mostly stock.
* Ruger if I intended to modify it.
* Remington if it was free.

ParaOrdnance just sucks all around.

S&W makes a decent gun. I'd go for the E-series. I haven't handled a Remington or Ruger, so I can't comment on them.

RIA? No thanks.

Alright you guys are pretty funny

I just barely assembled an AR so I have no confidence in doin an 1911. But I've been lookin at S&Ws and that's where I'm gonna go now I just need to stash away some money and pick a model.

Look guys, I feel I need to appologize. I tend to get very hyper when I talk about things I like, think 5yr. old describing his favorite movie... Anyway, I clearly didn't think my original assembly post thoroughly. I watched a guy assemble a 1911 in about 15 minutes(detail strip) and like a full retard was associating that to an actual assembly.
Now I know for a fact I can't and won't be able to assemble mine in 15 or less minutes. Due to my crippling OCD It will likely take a week or more. What I meant was IF someone could do it in under fifteen minutes with simple tools than someone with a proficiency of hand tools should be able to tackle an assembly without much trouble.

I've had the Rock Island Armory Milspec and it was a great gun!! I've owned several S&W 1911's and they are also great guns if you want the typical bells and whistles like a beavertail and Novak sights. The Ruger looks sweet and I'm sure that it will be a very good gun. The Remington also looks good for a Milspec style gun.

That being said. I just bought a brand new SIG 1911 XO from 4 Seasons for $699 and I am pretty damn impressed by it. The price is great and it has everything I want and need in a 1911 combat pistol. Check it out!!

I love the S&W's, I've shot them several times, but I'm a diva for J.B.'s original design and they're typically wicked expensive. I've never handled an RIA but I've never heard an owner of one say anything bad about it, not to mention it's a great value! I hate that 1911's by and large are the exact same design from manufacturer to manufacturer, but one company paid for compliancy testing and one didn't. It's not fair that MA. residents are pigeon holed because of red tape and paper trail. In my opinion, if one is compliant than they should all be grandfathered in as well.
I would love to see that Ruger in blue, I think I'd probably change my mind about it if it was... Is Colt the only company beside custom fitters and semi custom outfits that still polish blue them? Seems to be a lost art.

Back
Top Bottom