Votes: 41 38.0%
  • 38 Special

Votes: 51 47.2%
  • 380 with easier slide

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • None of the above (please elaborate)

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters
I want to get my wife a wheel gun. She had trouble with the slide on the cw380 and I am kind of keen on the idea of a wheel gun for her as it's simpler and more reliable than an autoloader in general. I know, modern autos are very reliable, not really a concern but lets just assume I really want a wheel gun for now. BTW, this will be a future purchase, like in 6-12 months or maybe longer but I can't help from shopping around now and gathering info. Another 380 auto with an easier racking slide is still not totally out of the question but a compact 9mm is probably going to be way too snappy for her so not really an option.

I have looked at the S&W Airweights and the Ruger LCRs. Frankly I thought the feel and the trigger on the Rugers blew the S&Ws away. I went looking for the Airweights but walked away wanting an LCR. The real question is this, do I look at 38 Special as I was thinking or the 9mm? I have a Kahr cw9 for myself and 9mm ammo is the cheapest, easiest to find (besides .22). The pressure of the 9mm is a lot higher than the 38 Special so it actually has superior ballistics. Many people cite the heavier weight of the .38 spl at around 158 grains but I have 147 grain 9mm in my cw9 so that's negligible.

So in a small, lightweight, concealable wheel gun for someone who is recoil sensitive what would you choose?

Sorry about the typo in the poll, can't seem to fix that.

Last edited:
Sig P290RS 380 or Walther CCP, for ease of racking slide.

While I do like the LCR's trigger action, I've only fondled them.

Last edited:
the LCR 38 is my favorite. it's lighter than the 9mm and 357 mag models. the biggest issues with the 9mm model are 1) difficult to carry extra moon clips in the pocket whereas a strip with 38 rounds fits in pocket easily and 2) many 9mm rounds tend to jump forward under recoil and can cause the cylinder to bind. this is a well known issue with the LCR 9mm.

there are some pretty impressive 38+P loads out there (e.g. ruger ARX, lehigh defender rounds).

the ruger LCR 38 with boot grip and a big dot front sight makes one awesome little carry. with the boot grip it is under 13 oz.

Ruger LCR 9MM all the way!
First: Ammo is more readily available at your local gun shop and in many more choices than .38 Special.
Second: Cost of said ammo is way cheaper than .38 Special. Cost less=more practice.
Third and most important: When your life depends on reloading the cylinder. A moon clip is way easier and faster to reload than any other method under stress.

Jerry Miculek uses moon clips for a reason!

Moon clip holders are available as well.

I own one and the trigger is great and the little extra weight is not a problem carrying.
That little extra weight will be welcome when firing it!

Now for your wife I would have gotten her a 22LR version.

The last woman I had shoot my 357 Magnum version with standard pressure 38 Special ammo.
She took one shot and handed it right back with an stern Nope!

Last edited:
38 Special- lots of ammo choices and I highly recommend against 9mm & moon clips for the inexperienced. Actually I'm not a fan of any moon clip unless someone wants a wheel gun to match their 1911 in 45 ACP.

How recoil averse might your wife be? A lightweight 38 Sp could be pretty snappy with decent ammo. I found the LCR in .357 decent to shoot with 38's and it's still not that heavy. If she later wants to move on, the LCR's in .357 sell quicker than the other calibers.

38 Special- lots of ammo choices and I highly recommend against 9mm & moon clips for the inexperienced. Actually I'm not a fan of any moon clip unless someone wants a wheel gun to match their 1911 in 45 ACP.

How recoil averse might your wife be? A lightweight 38 Sp could be pretty snappy with decent ammo. I found the LCR in .357 decent to shoot with 38's and it's still not that heavy. If she later wants to move on, the LCR's in .357 sell quicker than the other calibers.

Yeah, that's the thing. She is very recoil sensitive. The Kahr cw380 was nice to shoot but if she can't rack the slide what's the point. Once she gets it in her head that the gun is too hard for her to operate she won't be confident in it, even if she never has to rack the slide to fire it with one in the chamber already. It's a psychological thing with her.

To be honest I was in a bit of a financial pickle and when my buddy offered me almost what I paid for the cw380 I didn't have much choice. So when I can afford to replace it I thought I'd go with something she feels more comfortable with rather than go out and get another cw380.

She will shoot my SR22 just fine but getting her into a larger caliber has been hard. I may consider another 380 auto with an easier slide like the RM380 but that cw380 was one sweet shooter, I may be disappointed in any other mouse gun. The LCR in 357 loaded with light loaded 38 specials might be the magic formula but will it be a little big to serve as a pocket gun for me at times?

I have the 9mms version, I have to send it back to ruger for a timing issue. When I get it back, I'm promptly selling for a smith model 10. I didn't like the recoil impulse of the 9mm and found it incredibly painful to shoot. I would go for an airweight or a steel version like the 640. My 442 is less painful than the 9mms lcr but still is a handful to shoot.

The .357 LCR isn't much different in dimensions than the .38 Special. Just a little heavier. Regardless, I find revolvers OK for winter pocket carry but a bit of a PITA for summer carry. I recently picked up a Glock 43 for summer carry and it prints just like a wallet or thick phone in the pocket holster. Revolver prints like a revolver.

I'm absolutely no pistol instructor, but how was she gripping the slide to rack? I used to always pinch the slide between my thumb and index finger, then rack back. After shredding up my rotator cuff and the subsequent surgery, I wanted to shoot probably earlier than I should have but hey, recovery is boring. While my shoulder was still in bad shape, the only way I could rack the slide was to grip with thumb and palm on one side and fingers on the other. Way easier & might work for your wife. We just have to make sure the pinky side of our hand isn't in front of the business end.

i have the 38 lcr, wish i got the 357, but would guess the 9 has less recoil then the 38. as others have said, 9 ammo is usually a bit less money, and a lot better sale pricing. hardly ever see bulk sales on 38 in the big box stores.

although the price listings i've seen the lcr9 is higher than the lcr38.

slide racking: have you had her try holding the slide and pushing the frame forward?? sounded silly the first time i heard that, but it works better for my wife. stronger right arm??? idk but it works

9MM Revolver?

post-43302-But-thats-just-wrong-Caroline-PnpG.gif

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm_vs_.38special.php

Last edited:
I want to get my wife a wheel gun. She had trouble with the slide on the cw380 and I am kind of keen on the idea of a wheel gun for her as it's simpler and more reliable than an autoloader in general. I know, modern autos are very reliable, not really a concern but lets just assume I really want a wheel gun for now. BTW, this will be a future purchase, like in 6-12 months or maybe longer but I can't help from shopping around now and gathering info. Another 380 auto with an easier racking slide is still not totally out of the question but a compact 9mm is probably going to be way too snappy for her so not really an option.

I have looked at the S&W Airweights and the Ruger LCRs. Frankly I thought the feel and the trigger on the Rugers blew the S&Ws away. I went looking for the Airweights but walked away wanting an LCR. The real question is this, do I look at 38 Special as I was thinking or the 9mm? I have a Kahr cw9 for myself and 9mm ammo is the cheapest, easiest to find (besides .22). The pressure of the 9mm is a lot higher than the 38 Special so it actually has superior ballistics. Many people cite the heavier weight of the .38 spl at around 158 grains but I have 147 grain 9mm in my cw9 so that's negligible.

So in a small, lightweight, concealable wheel gun for someone who is recoil sensitive what would you choose?

Sorry about the typo in the poll, can't seem to fix that.

Hey send her to my Facebook group "massachusetts women gun owners" we just had a thread about first guns. I will get one going now about favorite carry guns. It's awesome you are looking for her! Let her hear from other women.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the hornady critical defense 110gr loads are pretty light recoiling. that's what i've setup for my mom who is pushing 70 and is tiny. she can shoot about 2 cylinders (10 rds) and then is done. with some of the 158gr loads the recoil was too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 38 on me as I type this. I don't want to deal with moon clips amd besides, a 38 snubnose is a timeless classic.

I think I am leaning towards the LCR in 357 mag because it's 4 oz heavier than the all polymer 38 model but load it with 38 special, something like what Squib recommended. A light bullet like that should not recoil too bad. The 9mm is also heavier than the 38 special model and 9mm ammo is cheaper and has more varieties but something about the 357/38 revolver is just classic as kalash said. I am far from making a decision and even farther from having the funds but this is all good info so thank you everyone so far. I like to start researching early so when I do get the money and it starts burning a hole in my pocket I am ready to make a wise purchase.

The 9mm IS the perfect round for a snub and its what you do not see when you shoot one that confirms this (does the short ammo have the effect of providing more barrel?), and the LCR just may be the perfect revolver. We have three, two 9mm and one .22 wmr the Mrs. can shoot either well and will alternate between carrying the .22 and 9mm, not that it matters but I am comfortable with her carrying either but more so with the wmr as she is astoundingly accurate-scary accurate really.

Much is said about moonclips with the 9, the fact is that they are not necessary for the gun to fire-certainly they make loading faster and unloading a bit faster however with standard pressure brass if you open the cylinder and shake all but one should fall out, or at least they do with ours) with steel and aluminum you will need to take say a pencil or dowel and very lightly tap to get the shell out, again or at least we are able to do it this way-the phenomena of crimp jump is often cited-we have yet to be able to get any sigificant bullet movement with any ammo, aluminum included. Our -test- is to paint the edge of the bullet with red/pink nail polish and have at it, yes you can see a faint crack after a few rounds but that is all that we see.

For our needs the LCR 9 is perfect, got rid of the sp101 .357 real quick; was very comfortable to shoot magnums its just that it finally sunk in as to what all the dirt/carbon meant.....

Forgot, the expensive defense rounds for short barrels provided only slightly less flame, same non issue recoil but still a whole lot of crud-BLACK powder rounds for sure.

I have the 357 version and really enjoy shooting 38s with it. The little extra weight probably helps. It is only a few ounces but makes it 20% heavier. I've shot 357s out of it, not a lot of fun. Wouldn't want to do more than a cylinder worth. I carry it with 38 +Ps. I put 5 shots in a 4 inch circle at 50 ft. That convinced me. I pocket carry it and it looks like a thick wallet. People not knowing what they are looking at would have no idea.

If you are going to get a Ruger LCR get the .357 version.
More flexibility for ammo (.357 magnum, .38 special and .38 special +p)
and no worries about loosing the "moon clips" that are needed to function with the 9mm version...and then having a useless revolver until you can get some more.
Stay safe!
Brian
Next Level Firearms

Would there be any interest in having a snubnose-only range day? There are a bunch of revolvers that I'd love to try - LCR 357, S&W 649, Rhino, etc.

Brian, moon clips are NOT REQUIRED for the lcr 9mm to function-our experience confirms this-its even in the manual.

I'll echo what others have said about the 357 over the .38.. I inherited a .LCR .38 when my brother passed in a motorcycle accident, fun little gun but if I was buying I'd go 357 for the ammo options..

I'd also suggest like others have said to have your wife try holding the slide stationary with her non dominant hand pointed down and forward and then press the frame forward with the dominant hand on the grip, just watch finger placement to avoid pinching in the chamber or finger f****** the barrel by mistake. This is the only way my wife can chamber my Glock 30 or Walther P22 neither of which are difficult to manipulate in the first place.

Good of luck with it!

Brian, many many people are confused about the moon clips and had the clips been required we would not have purchased-as you said the gun would be essentially useless.

Our experience only, as no one at our club has an lcr in 9, or a lcr of any caliber for that matter-no clips and standard loads: brass case ammo will fall out by themselves with only a shake-aluminum almost the same but not quite, often one or two of the cases have to be tapped out. Steel is a completely different matter-each case has to be tapped out but they do readily leave the cylinder.

Generally with +p loads; brass cases require a light tap, aluminum an ever so slightly greater light tap-domestic steel as even more robust tap. As for the Russian stuff-forget about it, it was home to a vise/drive pin-amazing-I am convinced the ammo from the Motherland is at least +p+.

With clips all the standard loads, brass, come out effortlessly-aluminum almost as effortlessly, steel just a bit more of a push. +p brass no big deal, aluminum a very slight big deal and domestic steel sort of a big deal but doable-Russian +p, nope ain't happening with just a finger or thumb.

The clips of course allow for very quick reloading so long as they are on the bench-really can't see how anyone can carry a loaded moonie in a pocket just too delicate for cc a gun that required clips would be absolutely silly.

Nothing wrong with the great 38 or the 357 its just that the 9 from a snub is absolutely perfect-look at the performance data and see for yourself PLUS with the 9 you get about a two for one for your ammo dollar.....

the primer strikes -/+ moon clips is another variable to factor in, which for defensive purposes is not too desirable.

theres an ejector built into the cylinder for a reason. nobody wants to pull empty brass out of a revolver cylinder. i'm happy that your LCR 9 runs without moon clips. running it in this manner introduces new variables, loses the functionality of any other revolver and is something i would only do in a pinch. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom