• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger® MKIV™ 22/45™ #WAS: SMITH AND WESSON SW22 VICTORY - which model to start with?

so, pinty had proved itself. i zeroed a gun with it, and the dot image on pinty was good.
the monkey wrench is - the brightness of the pinty i installed at its minimum level was still a bit too much.
as i got back home, i looked at 4 other pintys i have :) - and it seems that i have one that is brighter than all others and the dot illumination level at setting 1 is less - so it produces less halo. now i will need to swap out and re-zero with it.

it is interesting, as other pintys all have different amount of greenish shade when you look through them. but that other one has almost no tint.
i never paid much attention to what they were. so out of 4 i have only one is actually hue free and does not darken image too much. it is rather odd.

ps. tandemkross trigger kit is awesome.

rezeroed it again with an another brighter pinty that has a smaller (somehow) dot size - it is damn impressive how accurate that thing is at 12yds. i aim at the cross of lines onthe target and it goes right into that cross, then next bullet into the same hole. nice.
need to start practicing again shooting it off one hand at 25 and 50. fun stuff, it was so long ago. tried it for fun - and the hand is shaking like no tomorrow. multiple decades of alcohol consumption obviously did not help too much. :)

does anybody know - is there, anywhere, a wooden target style grip for a 22/45 mark iv ruger that would look like this volquartsen?
1658097125851.png

there is some plastic 'hive' grip from tandemcross, for $35, but it looks like some rubber BS to me. grips i have now are adequate, but i really want something similar to what you would see on a proper sport pistol. does anything like that exist for a mark iv 22/45?

Last edited:
does anybody know - is there, anywhere, a wooden target style grip for a 22/45 mark iv ruger that would look like this volquartsen?
View attachment 639122

there is some plastic 'hive' grip from tandemcross, for $35, but it looks like some rubber BS to me. grips i have now are adequate, but i really want something similar to what you would see on a proper sport pistol. does anything like that exist for a mark iv 22/45?
Yeah, EXACTLY that grip (grin). Check out the Volquartsen site itself. They sell that grip for the 22/45 for $166.

The frames of the Volquartsen pistols are/were based on the Ruger.

Last edited:
Yeah, EXACTLY that grip (grin). Check out the Volquartsen site itself. They sell that grip for the 22/45 for $166.
I must be blind but I did not find it. Only shows for regular mk iv, not compatible with 22/45.

Just looked again- are you sure? Can’t see it there.

Anyway, I hope altamont one will be acceptable.

Last edited:
I must be blind but I did not find it. Only shows for regular mk iv, not compatible with 22/45.

Just looked again- are you sure? Can’t see it there.

Anyway, I hope altamont one will be acceptable.
@paul73: my apologies. You are correct. I got sucked in by the section on their site for the "Ruger Mk IV & 22/45" where they show both the laminated and Volothane target grips. It's only when you open the detail for those that they state they are not compatible with the 22/45 (which obviously you did). Again, my apologies.

@paul73: my apologies. You are correct. I got sucked in by the section on their site for the "Ruger Mk IV & 22/45" where they show both the laminated and Volothane target grips. It's only when you open the detail for those that they state they are not compatible with the 22/45 (which obviously you did). Again, my apologies.
No prob. I was confused by a same thing. Difficult to understand the rationale there, why they don’t make it in 22/45 format, it is not that different.

No prob. I was confused by a same thing. Difficult to understand the rationale there, why they don’t make it in 22/45 format, it is not that different.
Ruger makes target grips, but don't know if they are any better than Altamont.

I also saw a 22/45 fitted with a custom target grip fitted specifically to my buddy's hand. Various materials available and not significantly more expensive than the Volquartsen (though not likely as pretty).

Last edited:
Altamontco grips arrived while I was out, got them on - will need to shoot it a bit to make an opinion. They are way beefier than it looked on a picture. It helps in some aspects but feels off a bit, for a one hand stance. Old ones felt too thin and safety was in a way, here that issue is solved, but, will see. Esthetically it looks now more like I wanted it.
Finger sits on a trigger now like it should be, but my palm does not close as fully as I like it, but it may be just an initial impression.
0DDC94E0-96E1-4C49-A600-B23188A0216A.jpeg

Altamontco grips arrived while I was out, got them on - will need to shoot it a bit to make an opinion. They are way beefier than it looked on a picture. It helps in some aspects but feels off a bit, for a one hand stance. Old ones felt too thin and safety was in a way, here that issue is solved, but, will see. Esthetically it looks now more like I wanted it.
Finger sits on a trigger now like it should be, but my palm does not close as fully as I like it, but it may be just an initial impression.
View attachment 649703
Nice @paul73. Really like the way the Tandemcross trigger breaks too. Enjoy!

Nice @paul73. Really like the way the Tandemcross trigger breaks too. Enjoy!
I spent about an hour just now carefully sanding them down, to close front gap and thin them out. Took off about .7mm from each and it feels better now. May take off more depth later, it seems to have reserves there, but, it feels way better now, probably will stop.

overall i am pretty happy with how it looks and feels, a good set of grips for merely $60.
378BADCE-2C8E-4BCC-89F1-4A70C55C52E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom