Rubs and scrapes yet?

SAV

I haven't been out much, but when I have I haven't seen rubs and scrapes. When will they appear, and what will set it off?

I always thought rubs occured from bucks working their velvet off, but the forum pictures show they have already lost their velvet.

I was thinking of putting out some mock scrapes tomorrow near my bow stand, but is it too soon?

IMO way too soon.

They are just starting scrape but the bucks are just working out the pecking order at this point. They won't get serious for a while yet.

FWIW regarding scents in general:

I have had mixed results using doe in esterus scents. I have had a few bucks come trotting on in as soon as they hit the scent but if a doe hits it she will almost always turn away unless she is also in esterus. She doesn't want to be harassed by a love struck buck if she is not in esterus. If you are interested in shooting does as well as bucks go light on the doe in esterus urine.

There are many hunters that are clueless about scents and how to handle and use them.. I am not trying to bash anyone on the forum or anywhere else but it is just not stuff people think about.

For example, I use a food based scent, attractant early and late season, in years like this when the acorn mast is on a downward cycle. I put the scent in a Tinks scent bomb.

A few days before I am gong to fill the scent bomb I soak it down in scent killer and let it dry. After that I only handle it with gloves on. Excessive? Maybe. But it was exposed to all kinds of human odors in the factory.

I think that a lot of scents get put out contaminated with human scent and it doesn't take much for the bucks to wise up. I stick to the less popular scents and spray scents like the buck bomb for that reason and I am far less likely to employ a scent on public land for the same reason. On private land that has less pressure it is a different story.

JMO,

Bob

You will start finding rubs because thats from the deer scraping the velvet off the antlers. It's way to early to find scrapes right now. Scrapes are made closer to the rut when they are trying to attract esterus does. One of the biggest mistakes new hunters make with scents is they use them too early. If does are not in esterus it is an alarm to bucks, not an attractant. If it doesn't belong in an area they want nothing to do with it.

You will start finding rubs because thats from the deer scraping the velvet off the antlers. It's way to early to find scrapes right now. Scrapes are made closer to the rut when they are trying to attract esterus does. One of the biggest mistakes new hunters make with scents is they use them too early. If does are not in esterus it is an alarm to bucks, not an attractant. If it doesn't belong in an area they want nothing to do with it.

I saw several last week. And yes they were scrapes and they had a hoof print in the middle of them. I do agree that it is way to early to find scrapes for breeding.

Bob

I'm seeing some rubs. I made some mock scrapes last week, and today looked to been visited...
Wish someone hadn't F'd with my cameras, I'd have some good shoots this week...

Back
Top Bottom