RRA NM Questions

I recently purchased a Rock River National Match. Every time I go to the range I fall deeper in love with this rifle. It is with out a doubt the easiest rifle to shoot well that I have ever used. Now that I am beyond just playing with it I would like to get it sighted in well but I have a few questions for you gurus out there.

First off I'm not sure which version of the National Match detachable carry handle I have. There was no indication on the packaging or manuals. On the carry handle is a number '2' next to a key hole looking symbol. Dose this mean that it is the 1/2MOA version? Is there any other way that I can tell which I have?

I would also like to sight this in correctly. I am interested in both appleseed events as well as high power so I want to make sure I am doing this correctly for my applications. I have followed the fairly generic battle sighting walk through instructions but my sights vary slightly from the documents. For example there are only dimples on my eleveation knob as opposed to numbered markings. Where should i set my 50/200 yard zero elevation at and how do you keep track of the zeros for increased distances? If you have any links or more information for a new shooter that I'm not smart enough yet to ask for please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!
-Dustin

The reason your sights are different is that they are set up for shooting high power. No need for a BSZ for that type of activity.

For HP set up your rear sight so that you have about three minutes up from the bottom and then shoot it at 200 yards and zero to front sight. The front sight is probably tapered so you have to make full revolution (5 min) for any adjustments. Make the finer adjustments on your rear sight. Once you get zeroed you should have a at least a minute or two below your rear sight so you can make minor adjustments.

The elevation drum/wheel is reversible, so if you look at the top of it there are a bunch of holes. There is a spring and detent ball that fits into those holes as you rotate it around. Now look at the underside of the elevation drum/wheel. It will also have a bunch of holes. The bottom of the drum is where the detent is. If the bottom has more holes (think finer adjustment) than the top, then you have a 1/4 elevation. If it has fewer holes (think coarse adjustment) that the top, then it has 1/2 min elevation.

The windage is a little trickier. You either have to test it with a dial indicator (.003 movement would be 1/2 moa and .0015 would be 1/4 moa) or take it out and shoot it and test it.

There is an article on this page that deals with marking sights and another about recording zeroes.

B

EDIT: BTW there is a HP clinic on Saturday at EAFR

Last edited:
thats a great list of articles that just found there way into my favorites for studying later thanks!!!

-Dustin

Thanks Again for those articles! They are a great starting point. Are there any more resources you know of that get a little more in depth?

-Dustin

David Tubb's books are very good but they are all about shooting Match Rifle. Still worth the price though.

The NRA HP rule book is also a good resource.

I have not seen it, but the CMP DVD High Power Service Rifle: Mind Over Matter is supposed to be pretty good.

B

Thanks everyone for all the great info. The Service Rifle Marksmanship Guide is exactly what I was looking for!

-Dustin

Back
Top Bottom