Rookie ar15 question

I just bought a s & w mp15 sport a couple weeks ago, my question is, are all ar15 mags interchangable? I would like to buy a couple pre ban 20 or 30 round mags for it but have no idea what would fit, if any.

You can use any mag, its the ammo you need to be careful of. If your AR is marked 5.56 then you shoot either 5.56 or .223. If its marked .223 you can ONLY shoot that cartridge. Also, STAY AWAY from any lacquered steel cased ammo. That $h*t is nothing but trouble! If you shoot rapid fire at all the lacquer can heat up and melt and subsequently it can get into your bolt carrier and chamber and reharden. this will not only destroy your weapon, it will void the warranty. Good luck and enjoy your new AR!

Jeff B

You can use any mag, its the ammo you need to be careful of. If your AR is marked 5.56 then you shoot either 5.56 or .223. If its marked .223 you can ONLY shoot that cartridge. Also, STAY AWAY from any lacquered steel cased ammo. That $h*t is nothing but trouble! If you shoot rapid fire at all the lacquer can heat up and melt and subsequently it can get into your bolt carrier and chamber and reharden. this will not only destroy your weapon, it will void the warranty. Good luck and enjoy your new AR!

Jeff B

so which barrel purchase would be preferable, 5.56 or .223 Wylde

However, unless you are buying an AR from a reputable manufacturer (E.G: Colt, BCM, DD, LMT), just because the barrel is marked 5.56, does not mean the actual chamber has the proper 5.56 dimensions.
Generally, 5.56 chamber is best for general purpose rifles, while .223 Wylde is preferred on rifles needing more accuracy.
Also, a quality AR, will shoot any ammo. Even steel cased stuff.

A Wylde chamber, by definition, is meant to take both 5.56 and .223 cartridges, helping to balance accuracy of both. My RRA has a Wylde chamber, and I notice very little differnence in the accuracy of both rounds--both being pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom