Rock Island 1911's Group Buy?

Take a look at Sarco Inc. web site especially the Rock Island 1911 part. Dealers price 3/$279.00 I wish we could do a group buy on these..

Last edited:
OK: about the Rock Islands- The Phillipine manufacturer has produced the Chas. Daly, The Rock Island, and the High Standard 1911's. I've worked on a few. I don't take them in the shop due to the poor quaility of the castings, the lack of constant tolerances, poor fit, and in general sub par construction. I realize that the price sounds good, but you get what you pay for. My advice is to save and buy a SW1911 or a Springfield. A used Colt or Kimber. In the long run you will be happier.The guns will last. MHO- Greg

I haven't found a Mass dealer that will sell the RI 1911. They are on the AFR list but that's as far as it goes.
I've read that just about everyone who has one, likes it. As long as you're not expecting a $1k pistol for $300 you should be OK.

Rock Island has a 1 year warranty on their handguns. So they would make a great 1911 to tinker with. On the 1911 forum they have a lot of positive posts about them and overall say that their a lot of fun to tinker with and have some good suggestions about parts to swap out on them.

They basically are a good platform to start as a learning tool for 1911's and a good beater gun that for $350 you don't care if you ding it up a little tearing it apart and playing with it.

I can't even find a beaten up old 1911 for less that $550 to rip apart and rebuild.

On the other hand I wouldn't tear apart any of my expensize 1911's that why I bought them because they were perfect from the factory.

Like JonJ said, As long as you're not expecting a $1k pistol for $300 you should be OK.

Last edited:
Bugs100 said:
Rock River has a 1 year warranty on their handguns. So they would make a great 1911 to tinker with. On the 1911 forum they have a lot of positive posts about them and overall say that their a lot of fun to tinker with and have some good suggestions about parts to swap out on them.

They basically are a good platform to start as a learning tool for 1911's and a good beater gun that for $350 you don't care if you ding it up a little tearing it apart and playing with it.

I can't even find a beaten up old 1911 for less that $550 to rip apart and rebuild.

On the other hand I wouldn't tear apart any of my expensize 1911's that why I bought them because they were perfect from the factory.

Like JonJ said, As long as you're not expecting a $1k pistol for $300 you should be OK.

Rock River Arms 1911's start at around 1,000 iirc. I mean, if it was a Rock River for $300 I'd be all over it.

Tweed said:
I know someone who purcashed a Rock Illand 1911 though the Tite Sporint Group in Northboro
Ya, that was the only one he had. Someone must have moved here with it or inherited it. I asked Mike about getting any more. His answer was "Nope, not Mass compliant."

Looked at Sarco's site. Holw crap! they may have decent prices on the RI's but on other stuff.. They're nuts! A used 10/22 for $250 and yet another for just a mere $495, a used and parkerized Ruger BH for $300 and get this a used Ruger SBH for how much?.. Yup $550. Plain jane used SBH for more than a brand new one costs.

Last edited:
I might as well just buy a used S&W at four seasons for another $50 over the price of the new Auto Ordance. I have a S&W 1911 already and it is fantastic. I guess $599 for a used one is a good price, seeing how I paid $700 2 years ago for a new one.

JonJ said:
Ya, that was the only one he had. Someone must have moved here with it or inherited it. I asked Mike about getting any more. His answer was "Nope, not Mass compliant."

I remember them being available at some MA dealers a few years ago but I also remember being warned to stay away from them.

You guys are making me feel really good about the like new 5" scandium SW1911 I scored last week for $550!

Back
Top Bottom