Road trip to Maine; Ammo? Maine is better for THIS than buying ammo. PIC pg2

I'm heading up to Maine for the rest of the week and wanted to know if the ammo shortage is the same up there as it is here in MA. Also, where can I stop along the way to buy some? Kittery Trading Post any good for ammo?

I guess I'm not looking for great deals, just ammo to actually purchase!

I'm heading in the direction of Bethel.

Last edited:
I was at Cabellas this weekend and they had a decent amount of ammo (no .357mag) but there weren't any deals. I haven't gotten any bargains at KTP either.

Good luck.

-MS

KTP's prices suck. I don't even bother looking anymore, that's how bad they
are. All I ever buy from them is MTM ammo boxes, if I need some.

Cabela's is in the same ball park, but they probably will have better selection than KTP.

Maybe someone here can recommend a decent gun shop for you, though. It wouldn't take much to beat KTP on prices.

NH/ME/MA are all about the same WRT stocking issues.

-Mike

Thanks. I just called Cabela's and they have LOTS of ammo in stock. I asked if there was a limit on how many boxes I could buy and he said, "are you from Mass?".

ha.

Cabela's is super easy on the trip up from MA to the Bethel area. We often stop in on our way up. I prefer it to KTP, anyway.

Haven't spotted any interesting places to stop in on the haul up 26 yet, but usually going at night in winter does make the gun shops a bit harder to spot. :)

I was at KTP a few weeks ago, not much selection, and as others have said.. prices aren't good by any means. The only deal I was able to get was a fair price on grey box "military 12ga 00 buck"

Maine has a steep sales tax just like MA, might be worth the effort to swing through NH on your way back for ammo and booze ;)

I picked up 100 rounds of American Eagle boat tail .223 for $9.00/box 2 weeks ago. I thought it was a good deal for what looks like brass cased .223. After sales tax it came to $0.47/shot. Which isn't great but is better than what I have paid for the rest of my .223.

The rest of their ammo prices kinda sucked. That and they didn't have much of anything else anyway, at least what I buy, 9mm and 45.

If your going up by way of Kittery, try Dicks in Portsmith, NH. I haven't been in it in a couple of years but the prices then were lower than in MA stores plus no state taxes. You may also want to check and see if there are any other places there like a Walmart to buy from. I can't say off hand but there are a lot of various busnesses. That same day I went to Kittery Trading Post for some oddball 350 Rem mags, the prices were so-so but I got womped on taxes. If I wanted to shop, I'd do it in NH on the way up, maybe on the way back to.

Go up rt.95 and get off at the Salisbury exit forget the number and then follow rt.1 north. You'll pass 3 Wally-worlds Seabrook, Portsmouth, and be close to Newington (not exactly rt.1 but 300 yards away. It is really your best bet for ammo savings. Plus it's only about 20 minutes extra from driving up Rt.95, no toll, and some fun shops along the way.

KTP has ammo but no great savings. Save the money and see if you find a nice long gun deal there.

Go up rt.95 and get off at the Salisbury exit forget the number and then follow rt.1 north. You'll pass 3 Wally-worlds Seabrook, Portsmouth, and be close to Newington (not exactly rt.1 but 300 yards away. It is really your best bet for ammo savings.
How are the Wally Worlds in New Hampshire stocked in terms of ammo? .223 Remington/5.56 NATO, specifically? Is it better than MA or just as bad?

CLMN

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the places along the way which were mentioned. Isn't Maine sales tax 5%? If so, it would be like the old days here in Mass!

The Super Wally World in Scarborough, ME near Cabelas has been a Hit or Miss for Ammo... Last week i walked in on a sunday morning and found six 100 round Winchester boxes of .40S&W... walked up to the register to purchase and "Foreign" worker freaked out and asked if i was from Mass... What is up with people wanting to know if i'm from Mass?

If your going up by way of Kittery, try Dicks in Portsmith, NH. I haven't been in it in a couple of years but the prices then were lower than in MA stores plus no state taxes. You may also want to check and see if there are any other places there like a Walmart to buy from. I can't say off hand but there are a lot of various busnesses. That same day I went to Kittery Trading Post for some oddball 350 Rem mags, the prices were so-so but I got womped on taxes. If I wanted to shop, I'd do it in NH on the way up, maybe on the way back to.

The dicks in Newington has so so prices. They were hawking Wolf 45 ACP ammo for $20/box a couple of weeks back.

Just made it up to Bethel. I stopped by the HUGE Wal-Mart on rt26 and they were empty. I also stopped by Cabela's and they were empty for 9mm and 380. I have a feeling that the guy I talked to last night misunderstood me or something.

They had lots of sweet handguns that we Mass'ers can not get! So I'm kind of bummed out. I thought Cabela's was going to be a sure hit for the hard to come by 380 ammo. Any other suggestions while I'm up here in the sticks?

How are the Wally Worlds in New Hampshire stocked in terms of ammo? .223 Remington/5.56 NATO, specifically? Is it better than MA or just as bad?

CLMN
They're just as bad for .223 regretfully. For that just go up to Riley's or MFL and get a case for about $370 is your best bet (Hookset and Manchester respectively).

What a great day!

P1000847.jpg

Usually out in the deep rough or water hazards. That way, I always get good groups.

EDIT: Although with all the trees in that picture, you might have to deal with ricochets.

Last edited:
Just made it up to Bethel. I stopped by the HUGE Wal-Mart on rt26 and they were empty. I also stopped by Cabela's and they were empty for 9mm and 380. I have a feeling that the guy I talked to last night misunderstood me or something.

They just wanted to know when to hide the ammo, that's all. [wink]

This was taken on the 10th hole at the Sunday River golf course. I've played many golf courses in my life but this one actually made me get out my camera and take pictures.

This was by far the nicest golf course I've ever played. I dominated the front 9 and then the "Jordan" ate me and spit me out on the back 9.

It was a glorious day!

Back
Top Bottom