RN bullet size for .45 ACP?

Sounds like it. Just wondering how to diagnose, if it doesn't feed well in my gun. Is that the case of just trying different OALs and see what works?

it fits in the case guage well, right now at 1.236" I happen to have right now.

Resize a case seat a bullet (no powder no primer) at that OAL and run it through a magazine and see if it goes in fine. I would immediately pull the bullet once you confirm so you won't confuse it with a live round. The data says 1.20" but I place my at 1.265 with rainier/berry/xtreme bullets all shoot fine. Don't worry to much and just stay within the limit. 1.20 as min and 1.275 as max. Plus every pistol may not like a certain length so you will have to verify what is best for your gun.

Always gauge to double check

Made 3 dummies and the seemed to cycle through fine. I also made 3 sets of test rounds at 5.4, 5.6, and 5.8 grains.

sent from my phone.

ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderCFE Pistol
Bullet Diameter.451"
C.O.L.1.200"
Starting Load
Grains6.0
Velocity (ft/s)815
Pressure16,000 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains6.8
Velocity (ft/s)934
Pressure19,800 PSI

From Berry's site
"use published load data for lead/cast bullets or low to mid-range FMJ data, as long as it is the same weight bullet."

ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderCFE Pistol
Bullet Diameter.451"
C.O.L.1.200"
Starting Load
Grains6.0
Velocity (ft/s)815
Pressure16,000 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains6.8
Velocity (ft/s)934
Pressure19,800 PSI

From Berry's site
"use published load data for lead/cast bullets or low to mid-range FMJ data, as long as it is the same weight bullet."

I can confirm this is correct 6.0 - 6.8 max for fmj

I don't like Berry's. They tell you to load at 50% capacity max as far as 9 mm goes. I wanted them for my CX-4 and found out about this after the fact. Never again!

I wasnt aware it was 50%...regardless if they say it or not.... its not true. I used berry's alot (especially 9mm) before i started copper plating my own..you could load them to FMJ data...I not sure why you would want to.
Making power factor for compition or whatever is never an issue ive heard of.

ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderCFE Pistol
Bullet Diameter.451"
C.O.L.1.200"
Starting Load
Grains6.0
Velocity (ft/s)815
Pressure16,000 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains6.8
Velocity (ft/s)934
Pressure19,800 PSI

From Berry's site
Hmm. Concerning that bullet manufacturer is saying 6.0-6.8 and powder manufacturer is saying 5.4-6.2.

I'd still like to see a link from the Berry's site showing that load data. I looked at their FAQ and saw this:

"[FONT=cartogothic_stdregular]We do not research or publish the load data. Please consult load data books or your powder manufacturers' website for load information. You can use published load data for lead/cast bullets or low to mid-range FMJ data, as long as it is the same weight bullet. Berry's offers our standard plate bullets which can handle velocities up to 1,250 fps and 1,500 fps for our Thick Plate (TP) versions."

[/FONT]

I rechecked the Hodgdon site and this time, it shows two loads, both the 6.2 max and 6.8 max. The former is LRN and the latter FMJ FP. Of course the bullet I have is FMJ RN (and not FP).

You do exactly what berry says. Either use the lead data or mid level jacket data. RN or FP won't matter when it comes to powder but will matter for COL. It is still jacket data that can be use for other jacketed projectiles other then FP. I ran test load for berrys at 5.8, 5.9, 6.0, 6.2, 6.4, 6.5 using CFE pistol powder. I ultimately settled at 5.9 being my most accurate load with grouping. Did not chrono any of it though. I also run my COL long. Hodgdon recommend 1.20 but I run 1.265

i recommend doing a few test load and see what your gun likes best.

Last edited:
I rechecked the Hodgdon site and this time, it shows two loads, both the 6.2 max and 6.8 max. The former is LRN and the latter FMJ FP. Of course the bullet I have is FMJ RN (and not FP).

Correction. My Berry's are plated.

It wouldn't really matter if it was 0.454"
Guns just aren't sensitive to 0.001" of bullet diameter.
Slug your barrel.
Use jacketed bullet the same diameter as the actual groove diameter. Use plated and lead bullet that are AT LEAST 0.001" larger than actual bullet diameter.
Beyond that, it really is NOT that big an issue or they wouldn't be selling them.
If you were a commercial ammo maker working under SAAMI specifications, you could use 0.449-0.452" jacketed bullets and 0.450-0.453" lead bullets. However, you are a reloader, so you can use bullets that work best in YOUR gun and not try to make it work in all the millions of guns so chambered. The point being, the bullets meet SAAMI specs, except SAAMI doesn't deal with plated bullets.
Just so you know, if your barrel meets SAAMI specs, the bore is 0.442-0.446" and the groove diameter is 0.450-0.454". The throat is 0.452-0.456". Yet, those who have a 0.450" groove NEVER notice anything when they shoot 0.452" jacketed bullets and have no pressure issues with factory ammo using such bullets.

Back
Top Bottom