• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RN bullet size for .45 ACP?

Plating is thin. Not like fmj. You should be gtg on those. I haven't used any of them however and cast my own.

FWIW I have used RMR plated 200gr's in my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911, and those are sized to .452

With lead bullets, getting the proper size (.451 vs .452) for your bore will reduce leading. You would slug your barrel to determine which one is correct.

Hi,

Looking in some of the reloading books, it looks like they mention .451 for RN bullet size for 45 ACP at 230 grains. However, when shopping, I see that Berry's has a .452 diameter on theirs
Short answer is .451 for jacketed, .452 for lead and plated.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thanks all! I'm preparing to do my first batch of 45 caliber on a Dillon 650. I bought dies, conversion kit, quick change, etc. and will start setting things up over the next few days. I'm cleaning some cases and will then check the size of primer holes and check their condition and then try some test rounds - using CFE Pistol powder that I used for 9mm, CCI primers, and I have a box of Berry's bullets. I was going to get a second box, when I saw the Berry's were .452 and the Rainer plated RN at .451 and was a bit confused.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...iber-451-diameter-230-grain-plated-round-nose
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...iber-452-diameter-230-grain-plated-round-nose

Should I strive to stick with the same size bullets, if I get more?

Any comments on either of these?

Don't get too anxious over minor discrepancies in bullet diameters. As stated earlier, nominal diameters for .45 ACP jacketed bullets are usually .451" diameter; plated, cast and coated run .001" more, as a rule.
Take any three boxes of bullets and you'll probably find they don't match the exact marked diameter. I've often found .311" diameter bullet boxes with .310" diameter bullets or .3105" diameter bullets.
Obviously if way off, be concerned (for example, earlier .45 Colt bullets were .454" so they might not be ideal, if you try them in an ACP application). .44 caliber bullets wouldn't suffice in your .45 ACP, even with a super-duper crimp!

- using CFE Pistol powder that I used for 9mm, CCI primers, and I have a box of Berry's bullets.[/url]

I have a SW1911TA as well and have used those same Berry's Bullets with CFE Pistol. Using the data off Hodgdon's Website, I made some with 5.4, 5.6, 5.8 and 6.0 grs. Personally I got the best groups with 5.6.

Thanks all! I'm preparing to do my first batch of 45 caliber on a Dillon 650. I bought dies, conversion kit, quick change, etc. and will start setting things up over the next few days. I'm cleaning some cases and will then check the size of primer holes and check their condition and then try some test rounds - using CFE Pistol powder that I used for 9mm, CCI primers, and I have a box of Berry's bullets. I was going to get a second box, when I saw the Berry's were .452 and the Rainer plated RN at .451 and was a bit confused.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...iber-451-diameter-230-grain-plated-round-nose
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...iber-452-diameter-230-grain-plated-round-nose

I had alot of issues with 45 not seating properly, I would get one sided bulging, they would not all chamber, i had to get a realignment kit from dillon for the 650. I had loaded 44 mag without an issue, i also needed to change the powder through die, in general I do not find the dillon does a good job, flare the edges too much vs driving deeper into the case, on 45 it was not good, i used the mr bullet powder through, the rcbs flare die was still superior in a single stage. I also found RMR plated had too much variation on the base of the bullet, which also lead to seating issues, so with jacketed and the smallest flare possible from the mr bullet die, plus realignment with the dillon tool, had 100 percent good rounds, definitely use a case gauge to check your rounds. I load 44 mag, 500 mag, 45-70, and 45 acp on the 650 ), 45 has been the most difficult.

I have a SW1911TA as well and have used those same Berry's Bullets with CFE Pistol. Using the data off Hodgdon's Website, I made some with 5.4, 5.6, 5.8 and 6.0 grs. Personally I got the best groups with 5.6.
Thanks! I haven't checked the site yet for max. The sheet I have says 6.8 max and to start at 10% less, but it is for 230 gr FMJ FP, and not RN. I'll check site for RN and see how it goes.

Appreciate hearing of your results. We're they subjective (mine are)? Have you ever checked with a chronograph? I don't have one, and no where to set it up. Curious though.

sent from my phone.

I had alot of issues with 45 not seating properly, I would get one sided bulging, they would not all chamber, i had to get a realignment kit from dillon for the 650. I had loaded 44 mag without an issue, i also needed to change the powder through die, in general I do not find the dillon does a good job, flare the edges too much vs driving deeper into the case, on 45 it was not good, i used the mr bullet powder through, the rcbs flare die was still superior in a single stage. I also found RMR plated had too much variation on the base of the bullet, which also lead to seating issues, so with jacketed and the smallest flare possible from the mr bullet die, plus realignment with the dillon tool, had 100 percent good rounds, definitely use a case gauge to check your rounds. I load 44 mag, 500 mag, 45-70, and 45 acp on the 650 ), 45 has been the most difficult.
Good to know. I've only done 9mm so far, with no issues at all (1k rounds so far). Will see how this goes. I have a case gauge as it was great for 9mm.

sent from my phone.

Thanks! I haven't checked the site yet for max. The sheet I have says 6.8 max and to start at 10% less, but it is for 230 gr FMJ FP, and not RN. I'll check site for RN and see how it goes.

Appreciate hearing of your results. We're they subjective (mine are)? Have you ever checked with a chronograph? I don't have one, and no where to set it up. Curious though.

sent from my phone.

No problem, anytime. I do not at this time have a chronograph.

However, just remember Berry's are plated not FMJ's. Right off Berry's site:

We do not research or publish the load data. Please consult load data books or your powder manufacturers' website for load information. You can use published load data for lead/cast bullets or low to mid-range FMJ data, as long as it is the same weight bullet. Berry's offers our standard plate bullets which can handle velocities up to 1,250 fps and 1,500 fps for our Thick Plate (TP) versions.

Hodgdon's site shows a max of 6.2 for a LRN loaded with CFE Pistol. Not that it means much but the loads I made the day I loaded up some test rounds, I made a note that 6.0grs felt "strong". Just an opinion so take it for what it's worth. Accuracy wasn't that good either, but that was probably me :)

Another two questions for folks...

i cleaned up over 1100 cases that I collected from the range and (mostly) from a Sig Sauer class I attended. I've got Sig, Remmington, and Magtech cases mostly, and a few other odds and ends (3 Federal cases that were small primer, so I tossed them).

I've got about 10 cases that have a head stamp marked ICC. Does anyone know what brand they are? I couldn't seem to find them. Just curious.

Second, quite a few of the cases have a small dent on the mouth. Something I didn't typically see with 9mm cases. Will my 650 be able to resize those OK, or do I need to toss them? It is quite a few.

Thanks!

Another two questions for folks...

i cleaned up over 1100 cases that I collected from the range and (mostly) from a Sig Sauer class I attended. I've got Sig, Remmington, and Magtech cases mostly, and a few other odds and ends (3 Federal cases that were small primer, so I tossed them).

I've got about 10 cases that have a head stamp marked ICC. Does anyone know what brand they are? I couldn't seem to find them. Just curious.

Second, quite a few of the cases have a small dent on the mouth. Something I didn't typically see with 9mm cases. Will my 650 be able to resize those OK, or do I need to toss them? It is quite a few.

Thanks!

The ICC should be fine for reloading just double check for brass wear and tear as you do all other brass before loading them up.

the small dents are ok as long as it isn't overly dented or cracked for the resizing die to open it back up. Again just do your due diligent and inspect the brass. When in doubt throw it out brass is free and easy to get. I get dent brass all the time I.E. it ejects hit the ground or wall hard, people stepping on it by accident, etc. 99% of the dent brass were reusable for me.

Good luck have fun and always ask questions

Sounds logical. Doesn't the Sig Academy require frangible ammo anyways?
For the one pistol range. We were in the rifle range and used Sig FMJ ammo (for a pistol class). Maybe someone had used frangible ammo there previously and I picked it up. Was just curious.

sent from my phone.

Another question, as I setup my Dillon. I converted to 45 and am not preparing dies. For seating die, and 230 FMJ RN, Hornady say COL 1.21". Lyman says 1.275" for TMJ. The Remington factory round I have is 1.259".

Hodgdon CFE Pistol data says 1.2".

I was going to take the factory bullet and adjust the seating die to touch it, as a starting point for adjusting, but I'm unsure what to target as the COL for these Berry 230 gr. RN.

Any ideas?

sent from my phone.

Measuring the case gauge, it looks like 1.275" is the max COL.

Right now, I have 1.236" and with crimper adjusted, fits in the gauge fine. I guess I can't check feeding, when I do starting load.

Is there any use to making several dummy rounds and checking feeding? I did place one dummy in a full and empty mag and racked the 1911 I have. Seemed fine there.

sent from my phone.

Measuring the case gauge, it looks like 1.275" is the max COL.

Right now, I have 1.236" and with crimper adjusted, fits in the gauge fine. I guess I can't check feeding, when I do starting load.

Is there any use to making several dummy rounds and checking feeding? I did place one dummy in a full and empty mag and racked the 1911 I have. Seemed fine there.

sent from my phone.

I've loaded some from 1.200 to 1.250 using 6.5gr of CFE pistol, not much difference at all

Another question, as I setup my Dillon. I converted to 45 and am not preparing dies. For seating die, and 230 FMJ RN, Hornady say COL 1.21". Lyman says 1.275" for TMJ. The Remington factory round I have is 1.259".

Hodgdon CFE Pistol data says 1.2".

I was going to take the factory bullet and adjust the seating die to touch it, as a starting point for adjusting, but I'm unsure what to target as the COL for these Berry 230 gr. RN.

Any ideas?

You'll find that every manufacturer's 230g RN bullet will have a slight variation in profile. Unless you have the exact bullet used in the published load data, you'll have to use a bit of judgement call here...

I don't like Berry's. They tell you to load at 50% capacity max as far as 9 mm goes. I wanted them for my CX-4 and found out about this after the fact. Never again!

You'll find that every manufacturer's 230g RN bullet will have a slight variation in profile. Unless you have the exact bullet used in the published load data, you'll have to use a bit of judgement call here...
Sounds like it. Just wondering how to diagnose, if it doesn't feed well in my gun. Is that the case of just trying different OALs and see what works?

it fits in the case guage well, right now at 1.236" I happen to have right now.

Back
Top Bottom