• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Rounds Found at Norton Middle School

It also wears out barrels faster than a .223, so it only makes sense if you need the extra performance. Plus there is the ammo co$t i$$use.
Little Jack's .243 is scoped and was only used to sight in and then to take the bear in AK. He quickly moved on to the '06 and the .243 will (hopefully) some day be passed on to one of his or his sister Sadie's kids. That's the plan, anyway. Jack.

Little Jack's .243 is scoped and was only used to sight in and then to take the bear in AK. He quickly moved on to the '06 and the .243 will (hopefully) some day be passed on to one of his or his sister Sadie's kids. That's the plan, anyway. Jack.
Very few people fire a rifle often enough to wear out a barrel. Maybe USMC and Army snipers who fire many rounds each day (on Uncle Sam's dime!) may experience excessive barrel wear to the point of diminished accuracy, but barrels are simple enough to replace. Hell, that would be the time to upgrade to a Shilen, Douglas or other premium-grade tube! Like others said, ammo costs would sink your family budget first.

Very few people fire a rifle often enough to wear out a barrel. Maybe USMC and Army snipers who fire many rounds each day (on Uncle Sam's dime!) may experience excessive barrel wear to the point of diminished accuracy, but barrels are simple enough to replace. Hell, that would be the time to upgrade to a Shilen, Douglas or other premium-grade tube! Like others said, ammo costs would sink your family budget first.
Very true. Many popular rifle cartridges that most of us can’t afford to be mag dumping 200-500 rounds of said caliber every weekend will wear out a barrel, relatively, way faster than those calibers that most of us can afford to light off every weekend, or every other weekend.
Having said that, my scoped hunting rifles rarely see more than a box or two of ammo per year (20 round box of hunting ammo). Even my wall hanger AR can see more than that in a 2 minute period on a whim (gotta bring a ladder inside to get it).
anyways, next time a new hunting bolt action rifle comes out, look at the initial caliber offerings. pluses and minuses aside, chances are pretty good that 243 will one of the initial offerings.

[shocked] Oh the horror! It must have been terrible for these people to find these! They must have soiled themselves and the poor janitor had to pick up the mess. What's this world coming to when an inanimate object causes such over reactions? Sadly nothing good.

[shocked] Oh the horror! It must have been terrible for these people to find these! They must have soiled themselves and the poor janitor had to pick up the mess. What's this world coming to when an inanimate object causes such over reactions? Sadly nothing good.
Where were the parents? No way can a 13 year old legally own a rifle in MA because they can't get an FID until age 15 with both parents' permission. Even with FID, they can't purchase from a dealer until age 18. The rifle was either a gift from the parents, purchased illegally on the black market or stolen. If it was a gift from the parents, they will likely face "improper storage of a firearm" charges.

Where were the parents? No way can a 13 year old legally own a rifle in MA because they can't get an FID until age 15 with both parents' permission. Even with FID, they can't purchase from a dealer until age 18. The rifle was either a gift from the parents, purchased illegally on the black market or stolen. If it was a gift from the parents, they will likely face "improper storage of a firearm" charges.
As far as I know there was no rifle found at the school. Just some ammunition and it was in the kids locker.

As far as I know there was no rifle found at the school. Just some ammunition and it was in the kids locker.
A .243 caliber rifle and more ammunition were found in the student's bedroom when the police searched his family's home. He was arrested and charged with illegal possession of a firearm and illegal possession of ammunition.

A .243 caliber rifle and more ammunition were found in the student's bedroom when the police searched his family's home. He was arrested and charged with illegal possession of a firearm and illegal possession of ammunition.
I didn't see that in the article I read but my comment was to do with the ammunition at the school and the over reaction that occurs with basically anything firearm related. When I was a kid a 22 sat in the corner of my room. Yes I know it's different these days but that's mainly because we've allowed the anti's to control the narrative and thanks to gun free zones which are like a welcome mat to mass murderer's.

shit, when i was in high school, i brought a k98 mauser and a pocket full of live rounds to an english class show and tell. no gun case, just slung it over my shoulder and got on the bus. NOBODY blinked an eye.........

Jesus Christ called...he wants his policy on open carry for long guns back.

just for reference...approximately what year was this?

I didn't see that in the article I read but my comment was to do with the ammunition at the school and the over reaction that occurs with basically anything firearm related. When I was a kid a 22 sat in the corner of my room. Yes I know it's different these days but that's mainly because we've allowed the anti's to control the narrative and thanks to gun free zones which are like a welcome mat to mass murderer's.
I had a .35 Remington lever-action rifle on the top shelf of my closet at age 14. Like you said, times are different now. Also, I was raised in the gun-friendly state of Alabama.

I wonder if the search of the kids bedroom was consent or warrant based.

It is interesting that there was no improper storage charge (unless I missed that detail), which would open up the entire argument of "who had the key/combo to the lock?".

True, but a lot shoot their ARs enough to open an 1/2" MOA barrel up to 1" MOA. There is a Jerry Miculek video where he describes the AR he is using as a "1 MOA gun" that would shoot 1/2 MOA when new. Of course, most could not tell the difference.

True, but a lot shoot their ARs enough to open an 1/2" MOA barrel up to 1" MOA. There is a Jerry Miculek video where he describes the AR he is using as a "1 MOA gun" that would shoot 1/2 MOA when new. Of course, most could not tell the difference.
People downplay the Mini 14 as being inaccurate. Jill's Mini 14 ranch rifle shoots 2 moa with M193 ball. Plenty accurate for most practical purposes.

People downplay the Mini 14 as being inaccurate. Jill's Mini 14 ranch rifle shoots 2 moa with M193 ball. Plenty accurate for most practical purposes.
Absolutely correct, however, that is not in the league with "highly accurate" guns or high quality ARs with barrels in good condition.

Absolutely correct, however, that is not in the league with "highly accurate" guns or high quality ARs with barrels in good condition.
My Savage stainless Axis.223 does half inch MOA out of the box. Topped it with a 4x-12x Nikon eyeball. Bough it in NH. Whole rifle is probably less than a premium AR barrel. Stay off radar. ARs are verboten in our Commiewealth of Taxachusetts.

Back
Top Bottom