• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Question

I'm having a little bit of difficulty finding out if a Marlin Model 60 is MA complaint. The tube hold 14 rounds, but I heard somewhere that because it was the tube, this wasn't blocked. [thinking]

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Sure...

The assault weapon definition:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
* Pistol grip
* Bayonet mount
* Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
* Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)

The Marlin 60 is a semi-automatic rifle - but is not able to accept detachable magazines. So, not an assault rifle.

It is perfectly legal to own in MA, with a minimum of a FID.

M.G.L. c.140 s.121

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Back
Top Bottom