Rifle Bedding??

Anyone experienced in rifle bedding. I have a Remy LTR that I would like to bed, thinking of using Marine-tex.

any tips or suggestions... anyone want to do it for me[grin]

Thanks

I bedded my 10/22 with AcraGlas Gel (why?). It was easy to use, more so than my experiences with Marine-tex on other stuff. I don't know anything about 700s but I'm sure there are tons of internet articles on bedding one. You are welcome to the rest of my AcraGlas.

However, I'm not responsible if you permanently glue your rifle together.

I just did a M70 varmint rifle with MarineTex. The bedding job did not turn out as perfect as the bedding job that my gunsmith does, but it didn't cost me $100 +. The rifle shoots pretty good though.[grin]

200ydgroupswithm70ev1.jpg

pict0087zy8.jpg

Just remember to use modeling clay and release agent. You can use blue painters tape over the stock. I don't think the 6mmBR article shows him doing that, but the brownells article does.

Try these.

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=2&i=641

Last edited:
Don't use Accra Glass Gel. Use Marine Tex, Devcon, or Bisonite. Bisonite was formulate specifically for bedding M14's. It's not as easy as Marine Tex, but, it is HARD when cured. Two gun kits are available from Champion's Choice.

It's nothing special at all, just a M70 varmint rifle. I bedded the action and fire lapped the barrel. It shoots almost at well as my target rifles. I’m gonna try it in some f-class matches just for fun.

I think is was about ~ $600 a few years back.

B

Good shooting but I just have to correct your use of fractions and scale reading...LOL

18/64 = 9/32

14/64 = 7/32

The rest looked ok though....

Good shooting but I just have to correct your use of fractions and scale reading...LOL

18/64 = 9/32

14/64 = 7/32

The rest looked ok though....

Reducing fractions always got me in trouble in math class. I need a doo-dad to attach to my dial caliper so I can read them down to .001.

[grin]

Oh I tried... And like most of my projects. it failed terribly

the Marine-Tex that I was using got into the action screws and even though they were coated in Shoe polish as recommended, I was afraid that it would either ruin the threads or get into the chamber. So about 2hrs into the cure, I cleaned everything off.

I had cleaned the Alum. beds with acetone, but the Marine-tex did not stick well and the shoe polish didn't do much better keeping it off it wasn't suppose to stick. Also trying to get playdough off is a bitch... it just smears.

So I scrubbed everything clean, which of course took off some paint.

Went to the range today with some new loads.

Shot great groups with 43.7gr of varget and 42/42.5gr 4895
until the 23rd shot my group moved 1" to the left, next 3 shots made a ragged hole just like all the others, figured Maybe I bumped the windage knob somehow. next 5 shots were all over the place, so either the mounts started moving or the scope crapped out, but I was out of ammo and pissed

Good news is I found some loads that my rifle really likes, bad news is something is shifting. I had issues with these warne mounts before. And the scope will go to leupold to get check.
And of course with my luck the mounts for my New scope setup are still back ordered

Ok, so I tired bedding the rifle again. this time it seemed to work.

I got 1/4-28 2" bolts and cut the heads off, used the to guided the action in and protect the threads. I used marine-tex rapid set (which turns out is not as strong as regular)

Used playdough again to make the dams and shoe polish and Olive oil spray as a release agent, worked well

So it came out looking OK, it is tigher than stock... we'll see how it shoots

Back
Top Bottom