Rifle barrel exploded!!!!

How is that even possible? Wouldn't a split follow the rifling of the barrel? The only way I could imagine this being possibe would be with a smooth bore barrel, but then why would you hunt with it? It would be too inaccurate. I call BS on this one.

How is that even possible? Wouldn't a split follow the rifling of the barrel? The only way I could imagine this being possibe would be with a smooth bore barrel, but then why would you hunt with it? It would be too inaccurate. I call BS on this one.

Not necessarily. Steel has a grain to it. Depending on how that grain is and how the barrel was manufactured, determines how the barrel would split.

Quite obviously a barrel obstruction. The expanding gases seek the path of least resistance. Even a microscopic flaw in the steel will be the weak point where the barrel would start to split.

I have seen many barrels split like this over the years. Some splits started at the rifling, but as for the barrel "unrolling" like a wrapping paper tube along the rifling, never seen it.

What is the twist rate? I say it is real. I don't think that the barrel in question would look like a coil spring when failing in such a manner. The guy may have had junk in the muzzle from a fall and not clearing it.

One time I was down in Maine and hunted all day with a broken branch from the muzzle almost to the breach. Didn't know it until I got back to camp and went to clean it. Worse ending was in store if I had taken a shot.

Not necessarily. Steel has a grain to it. Depending on how that grain is and how the barrel was manufactured, determines how the barrel would split.

Quite obviously a barrel obstruction. The expanding gases seek the path of least resistance. Even a microscopic flaw in the steel will be the weak point where the barrel would start to split.

You're probably right. I am definately not an expert, nor do I play one on tv. I certainly am not a metallurgist. It's just that I've seen this video several times and for some reason it just doesn't sit right with me. It's almost cartoonish in a way, and the camera work almost suggests that the whole thing is staged. Like I said however, I could be and probably am totally wrong.

What I dont get is the camera guy just focuses on the barrel without like dropping the camera or checking on his friend. Hes just focused right on it the entire time.

Im calling B.S.!
He was probably enjoying the moment of warmth running down his leg [grin]

You're probably right. I am definately not an expert, nor do I play one on tv. I certainly am not a metallurgist. It's just that I've seen this video several times and for some reason it just doesn't sit right with me. It's almost cartoonish in a way, and the camera work almost suggests that the whole thing is staged. Like I said however, I could be and probably am totally wrong.

While I can't say for this particular video, many of the barrel I have seen were almost cartoonish.

When I took my Hunter Safety Course in Washington State, a few decades ago,
the Instructor brought in several rifle and shotgun barrels that had been blown up.

As far as the video being staged, could be. I do know that many guided hunts do offer to video tape the shot and other things for the client.

Who knows? Truth IS stranger than fiction.

Looks like bad ammo to me.

That many bad primers in a row and it looks like they had trouble feeding.
The bullet may have set back in the case and created an over pressure situation, bad brass that has been reloaded to much and became brittle or an overcharged case.

After this hunter video was done they suggested another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWygoxV_ApM&NR=1

Obviously there is a problem of some sort that I could not figure out. Then the kaboom.

Anyone tell what happened here?

Rich

Looks like he keeped hitting the forward assist. Wtf he would do that I can't figure. If the round don't want to chanber or the bolt don't want to close - DON'T FORCE IT AND THEN PULL THE TRIGGER.[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom