• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI resident wants to bring AR-15 into state for comp and rec shooting.

What are the legalities of this? An example would be if I were to bring what mass considers a post ban, even with a ma ltc=jail time. If I want to bring in a pre-ban and it still has what they deem evil features, I need a non-res LTC. Does CT have the same silly reasons? Its a shame cause when my CT and MASS friends come to visit and bring their firearms into RI to go shooting, they can do so without any issues, whats the opposite coin when I want to visit in CT? Also, my parents live in CT, so what about spending the night there with the firearm. For all intensive purposes, firearms will be locked in a box separate from ammo, all other obvious fire arm saftey regulations will be followed, so lets focus on the laws, not safety. Thanks, Mike.

Post-Ban lowers need to follow the AWB features namely Pinned stock and Muzzle break. We also list certain colts and other ARs by name that are just plane banned. Pre-ban you should be GTG.

No permit needed to bring a long gun into the state to be used on Private or Public range.

ALSO Noteworthy, CT does not ban Magazines via Capacity. So all your standard Capacity 30rnd Mags or OK to have.

Here is CTs Assalt weapon ban:

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

I have an AR-15 I shot out to 600 yards, and want to shoot some events. It doesn't have a flash hider or collapsible stock so I am GTG on that.

If you stop in a state for ANYTHING other than gas/bathroom break/quick meal (not with your friends/relatives), that state becomes a "destination" per FOPA and you MUST be legal to possess the guns/ammo/mags in that state.

If you stop in a state for ANYTHING other than gas/bathroom break/quick meal (not with your friends/relatives), that state becomes a "destination" per FOPA and you MUST be legal to possess the guns/ammo/mags in that state.

I'm still searching for a definitive cite that gas, bowel evacuation, or bowel filling is covered under FOPA. Do you have any such cites available?

At least RI had the sense to word its exemption "without the intent to ....." rather than "without".

If your rifle is not banned you will be fine stoping, staying or shooting in CT with your long gun. No need for any special Papers.

I'm still searching for a definitive cite that gas, bowel evacuation, or bowel filling is covered under FOPA. Do you have any such cites available?

At least RI had the sense to word its exemption "without the intent to ....." rather than "without".

Check the NJ case where the guy did 3 years due to his plane landing at Newark and him staying overnight at the airport hotel before attempting to fly out the next morning. I'm not certain of any Federal ruling, but that court case made it clear that any delay other than a short stop wasn't covered under FOPA.

There are NO requirements to possess or own long guns in CT. That includes residents and non-residents.

If it is a pre-ban gun, it does not have to comply with the evil features portion of our AWB.
If its a post ban gun, it must comply with the AWB.

ASSAULT WEAPON Definition Link

However, other than the AWB. There are no restrictions on what you can do with an AR in CT.

You don't need any kind of permit or license to possess or transport any long gun in CT.
You don't need to transport it any specific way, other than that it must be unloaded. No locks. No cases, No trunk.
You can literally be a RI resident with an AWB Compliant AR and drive through CT with the AR across your lap, and a loaded betamag in your hand.
As long as you don't put the mag in the gun, you are legal.

In case you didn't get my point. There are No restrictions on posession of a long gun by anyone. As long as you are not a PP.

Don
CHAPTER 943 OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE AND SAFETY

Sec. 53-205. Loaded shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders prohibited in vehicles and snowmobiles. (a) No person shall carry or possess in any vehicle or snowmobile any shotgun, rifle or muzzleloader of any gauge or caliber while such shotgun, rifle or muzzleloader contains in the barrel, chamber or magazine any loaded shell or cartridge capable of being discharged or when such muzzleloader has a percussion cap in place or when the powder pan of a flintlock contains powder. As used in this subsection, "muzzleloader" means a rifle or shotgun that is incapable of firing a self-contained cartridge and must be loaded at the muzzle end.

Notice that the above statute makes no reference to residency or any kind of permit.

No change for now, provided the firearm does not fall under the AWB. The eligibility certificates don't kick in for a while.

Once the elegibility certs are in effect, I'm not sure. We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Last edited:
ALSO Noteworthy, CT does not ban Magazines via Capacity. So all your standard Capacity 30rnd Mags or OK to have.

Here is CTs Assalt weapon ban:

i think that after the registration date passes, you as a nonresident will not be able to travel with a 30 round mag unless you are passing through the state. i think coming to CT with an unregistered 11 or greater capacity mag will be illegal

I don't see anything in the law that would prohibit it. Provided it was owned before 4/4/13. The law doesn't ban possession. I'm going to do a complete rewrite of my CT "land of the free" stickie. Right now, I don't have the stomach for it.

Declare, not register. Thats at least how I read it.

I'm going to tell them I have eleventy jillion magazines. Probably not far off.
some one said they will want pictures, i'll give some pictures of my ass.

some one said they will want pictures, i'll give some pictures of my ass.

Yup. And I said I've got elevtnty jillion magazines. Thats crap. That kind of specificity comes from the regulations that the DPS will write around the new law. And they aren't anywhere near writing that stuff yet. That was someone's pure speculation.

Check the NJ case where the guy did 3 years due to his plane landing at Newark and him staying overnight at the airport hotel before attempting to fly out the next morning. I'm not certain of any Federal ruling, but that court case made it clear that any delay other than a short stop wasn't covered under FOPA.

Is this the case you are referring to? "He spent 10 days in several different jails before posting bail. Police dropped the charges a few months later"

Read more: Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News

The above thing is a FOPA Safe Passage debate.

CT is still not MA. Prosecutors tend not to prosecute stupid stuff. I have never heard of someone being charged with a firearms related crime that did not have at least some nugget of questionability. People also aren't held for 10 days. Of the few law abiding people who do get arrested like Rich Burgess for open carrying, he was released in a couple of hours.

There are no restrictions on high cap magazine possession. Either way, things will become more clear in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom