revolver selection

i got a few questions for you guys

1) if i go hunting in maine, but do not have an ltc there...could i still bring a revolver with me as a back up gun? say something in .44 mag or .357 mag? i figure since you can hunt with a revolver i didnt know if there was a double standard about carrying one

2) if this is the case...which size barrel length would you recommend? 4inches? ill be waaaaaay up north so i was looking at it as a mode of defense in case of ant run ins with a bear

3) which caliber would be better 44 or 357 ? i was thinkin 44

4) which model hand gun? i didnt know the quality of a ruger vs smith wheel gun

1. I believe you could carry in the open (not concealed). I've heard you can carry concealed without a permit, but ONLY while hunting. No idea if that is for ME residents only. There must be an on-line guide to Maine laws as to this situation.

2. 4", 6", whatever. I wouldn't worry about bears. This ain't Kodiak island. We don't get many Black Bear charges or maulings up here (not including any UMaine hijinks). They're more scared of you than you of them.

3. If you're still worried about bears, then bring the biggest gun you can haul comfortably. There aren't many problems that can't be solved with a .357, but a .44 leaves no doubt.

4. Ruger is probably the strongest wheel gun made, but S&W, Taurus, Colt, will all get the job done without much fuss.

I have to question the idea of the backup gun in the first place. You'll be carrying a rifle, right? Even a small rifle like the .243 has WAY more power than the .44.

pat...chances are ill be out with a bow more than a rifle...the guy im going with has been up to scout the are already and said he saw more signs of bear than usual...it was my only concern

and thanks for the advice!!!

pat...chances are ill be out with a bow more than a rifle...

Ahhhh,...................I would probably want something along "just in case" as well. Bears can be VERY curious if they can't figure out what you are (a bow hunter all cammied up), but usually don't stick around once they figure it out. Good luck!

The relevant portions of Maine Law on concealed carry:

25 M.R.S.A. § 2001-A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon
1. Display or carrying prohibited. A person may not, unless excepted by a provision of law:
B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person.
2. Exceptions. The provisions of this section concerning the carrying of concealed weapons do not apply to:
A. Firearms carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued as provided in this chapter;
C. Knives used to hunt, fish or trap as defined in Title 12, section 10001;
E. Firearms carried by a person engaged in conduct for which a state-issued hunting or trapping license is required and possessing the required license, or firearms carried by a resident person engaged in conduct expressly authorized by Title 12, section 11108 and section 12202, subsection 1.1 This paragraph does not authorize or permit the carrying of a concealed or loaded firearm in a motor vehicle;

ken...im a lil confused...do those laws mean i can carry while hunting as long as its visible???

For starters, you don't need a concealed carry permit to carry openly, only concealed.

As for carrying concealed, trimming away the legalese, I'd read it like this:

1.B - It's illegal to carry a concealed firearm unless you qualify for one (or more) of the following exemptions:

Exemption 2.A - You have a concealed carry license

or

Exemption 2.E - You're hunting or trapping with a valid license. (This exemption does not allow you to carry a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.)

Ken

Please excuse me for going off topic, but does that apply to out of staters as well? I'm going to to Maine for the weekend and was wondering about open carry for non residents (I understand that in NH it is ok?)

Please excuse me for going off topic, but does that apply to out of staters as well? I'm going to to Maine for the weekend and was wondering about open carry for non residents (I understand that in NH it is ok?)

Well, you've got to be smart about it. I wouldn't try it on any city street. While it may be legal, it would also probably be a good way to get some extra attention from the local constabulary.

Back
Top Bottom